PDA

View Full Version : Mickey climbing Matterhorn

TTFN92
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
My son was wondering how often Mickey climbs the Matterhorn. I'll add to that question, how often are the other climbers there? Is it daily?

ChipmunkStar
04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
The Matterhorn hasn't been climbed for entertainment purposes for a few years now.

TTFN92
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Really? How come?

ChipmunkStar
04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Because it hasn't? Sometimes entertainment is cancelled without any official reason or fanfare.

stan4d_steph
04-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Really? How come?It hadn't been done for years, then was brought back for the 50th anniversary. I would imagine it was decided that the additional cost/risk of climbers outweighed the management-perceived added entertainment value.

TTFN92
04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
That's so sad. It was always such a fun treat to see them. I just figured we weren't there at the right time to see them. It's a bummer when liability makes decisions. It's probably the safest mountain the climbers climbed.

danyoung
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
They used to actually do a short show, where Mickey and Goofy were up there and discussing things, with the audio piped in to the central hub area. It was really fun to watch!

TTFN92
04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
They used to actually do a short show, where Mickey and Goofy were up there and discussing things, with the audio piped in to the central hub area. It was really fun to watch!
That would be fun :).

MadasaHatter
04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Wow, I actually caught this one trip while my traveling companion (I don't recall if it was my sis or a pal) was still at the Hotel. So glad I caught it. It was fun. I would rather have the entertainment budget for musician....

Wintermomma
04-14-2012, 11:39 PM
I remember seeing this. It seemed like it was always on the crazy busy summer days. I didn't realize it was no longer done at all.

CMHusband
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM

SigalTchelet
04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
LOVE it! Thanks for posting, CMHusband!

TTFN92
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice!

Drince88
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Not sure if Mickey is going to join them -- but the Mountain Climbers are coming back!! (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/we-direct-your-attention-high-on-the-icy-slopes-of-the-matterhorn-at-disneyland-park/)

cstephens
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Not sure if Mickey is going to join them -- but the Mountain Climbers are coming back!! (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/we-direct-your-attention-high-on-the-icy-slopes-of-the-matterhorn-at-disneyland-park/)

I just read that and came here to see if anyone had posted about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

TTFN92
05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Yay! That is awesome news. Can't wait to see them.

danyoung
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM

From the post you linked to, down in the Q&A section -

Mickey and other Disney characters have climbed the Matterhorn in the past, but this year they’ll be plenty busy with other things around the park, like greeting their guests and appearing in the Hoedowns back at the new Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Frontierland!

TTFN92
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM

From the post you linked to, down in the Q&A section -

Mickey and other Disney characters have climbed the Matterhorn in the past, but this year they’ll be plenty busy with other things around the park, like greeting their guests and appearing in the Hoedowns back at the new Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree in Frontierland!
:(
But I'll take what I can get with the climbers:).

bfdancer
05-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Matterhorn Mountain Climbers
For: Disneyland Resort
Audition City: Anaheim, CA
Looking For: Thursday, May 10, 2012
12:00 PM
Time zone: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Disney Parks Talent Casting is seeking experienced climbers to scale the Matterhorn at the Disneyland® Resort in Anaheim, California as our Guests gaze in delight and wonder!

Roles:

Male or Female. 3 to 5 + years experience in mountaineering, rock climbing, and rappelling. Able to comfortably lead climb traditional 5.8/5.9 routes. Good understanding of hanging belays and strong rope management skills. Good upper body strength and ability to work at substantial heights. SPRAT Certification a plus. Especially seeking Climbers with daytime availability Monday through Friday.

Requirements:

•Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and authorized to work in the United States.

Submission Instructions:

•Please submit a resume to auditions@disney.com outlining your climbing experience. In the subject heading, please specify "Mountain Climbers."
•Selected applicants will be invited to an interview on Friday, May 11.
•Selected applicants will participate in a climbing evaluation.

Submisson Deadline:
Please submit your resume by 12:00 noon on Thursday, May 10.

EOE - Drawing Creativity from Diversity - ©Disney

mco65
05-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Male or Female. 3 to 5 + years experience in mountaineering, rock climbing, and rappelling. Able to comfortably lead climb traditional 5.8/5.9 routes. Good understanding of hanging belays and strong rope management skills. Good upper body strength and ability to work at substantial heights. SPRAT Certification a plus. Especially seeking Climbers with daytime availability Monday through Friday.

That rules me out, i have a hard enough time climbing the stairs at home...

leota's necklace
05-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Here I go with an unpopular opinion...I'm not into the climbers. It's fun to watch them work, but they totally blow the forced perspective of the mountain, like when you catch a glimpse of someone up on the castle walkways. I don't get why Disney would work so hard to make us think the mountain is Really Big (eg, graduated tree sizes) and then stick people up there to help you realize it's Really Not Big.

danyoung
05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
While you're correct, for me the benefit of the climbers far outweighs any perspective lost.

MadasaHatter
05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Hey Leota's necklace.....I agree with you on the castle but not on the Matterhorn. I'm not afraid of heights much but the Disneyland Matterhorn is too tall for me to climb it. I think it is really cool and I happened to catch the 50th Climb with Mickey and it was a total hoot. With the re-boot of the BOBSLEDS it will be really cool. I think that is one of the longest boringest queues at Disneyland also.....I wonder if there was any attempt to make the queues cool and interactive like some of the stuff they do at Disneyworld (i.e. Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh) that would be cool and much much needed. I almost like the queue for Roger Rabbit as much as the actual attraction....oh dear.....now I ramble....I must be mad!

danyoung
05-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I almost like the queue for Roger Rabbit as much as the actual attraction....oh dear.....now I ramble....I must be mad!

No, you're not mad on that one. I like to visit RRCS when it's a bit busier, so I HAVE to go slowly through the queue. It's just as cool as the ride itself, IMO!

jananafish
05-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Was there today and saw no scaffolding (didn't get too up close) but the Mtn looks awesome! Was thinking about how cool it would be to see climbers on the mtn. BF was disappointed when he found out Matterhorn was still closed. I told him he needs to get on the boards and find out this info before heading to the parks ;)