PDA

View Full Version : Questions about [larger person fitting on rides]

poohlover
07-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Wondering if anyone can give me some input regarding heavy people visiting disneyland and california adventure, fitting comfortably and safely in the various rides. I've emailed customer service at DL, and they said there are no size/weight restrictions per se, as long as the safety device(s) fits properly. That's pretty vague! Do any of the big rides have a sample seat or cart or whatever the ride uses for people to try out? I'm a large person and want to go prepared to have a great time without any unnecessary embarrassment for myself or my family.

Thanks!

heidiwhr
07-04-2003, 10:07 PM
As a "larger than most" person, the only time I have ever been a bit uncomfortable atDL was when two of us were crammed into one seat on the Matterhorn. All you have to do is tell the CM that you would like your own seat and they are happy to oblige. I think you will find that you will enjoy everything DL have to offer. Have fun!

MammaSilva
07-04-2003, 10:12 PM
poohlover, I am a large/round/short person.... so I have some experience in this area.... at Disneyland you can ride every ride in the park....the only ones that can be a bit 'uncomfortable' .. getting in and out of the Autopia cars can be a bit tricky especially if you have any mobility issues (I have a bad knee..) I don't ride the Mad Hatter (teacups) because I prefer NOT to turn green.. but I have ridden and fit...

NOW.... DCA is another story....I can't help too much there, I'm not sure about most of the rides because I don't like Screaming (no upside down for me) and Mailboomer isn't my cup of tea either. Soaring is no problem, neither is the water ride... those are the only two I've ridden at that park......maybe some one else who fits into the B&B (big and beautiful) :D catagory can be more help for that park.

MonorailMan
07-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Well, I know many "larger than normal" people, and all of them don't have a single problem. :)

experiment626
07-05-2003, 09:58 AM
I am a size 20/22 and I have no trouble fitting into any of the rides at the parks. The Orange Stinger does have a 200# limit and the Jumpin' Jellyfish has a combined weight (for both riders) of 350.

justagrrl
07-05-2003, 03:55 PM
You may have issues on Mull. Madness - especially if you are also tall.

If you are large in the chest area as well - you may have issues with the over the shoulder on Screamin.

I can fit in all of them - but can tell that it could be an issue.

IM me if you want more specifics.

Oh - and the bumper cars over in the bug area of DCA. They weren't very comfortable at all. I'll pass on those next time and just let the kids ride them.

Allison
07-05-2003, 08:28 PM
As a XX girl, My big worry was the new Splash Mountain logs
with the separated seats. But my XXX hubby and myself had no problem. Enjoy!

jerjer2005
07-05-2003, 10:07 PM
all attractions at Disneyland and DCA are available to all guests... and refering to the other posters coment on the over the sholder restraints on screamin and mul... you should have no problem becuase those come down far enough to secure each indvidual persons size... no one to big.

jerjer2005
07-05-2003, 10:09 PM
oh and i forgot...
never and i mean never try and fit 3 people on the HM! i did it once (im larger then usual) and i mean once your on your on and theres no changing it... 2 to a car is comfortable... but never and i repeat NEVER put three... i remember sitting on my side for the hole ride lol...

and concerning orange stinger...

they used to post the weight max. but they removed the sign... i dont know why... but when you look at there sign there is no weight requirement.

Morrigoon
07-06-2003, 01:13 AM
well, 200 IS a bit ridiculous.....

I know you'll fit on Indy (and w/out a seatbelt extender) because I've seen ppl so big that they literally fill from seat back to seat back, and they're fine. There is a trick to the belts, however - pull the belt out before sitting, turn sideways (to the left/buckle), buckle it in, THEN sit down. Much easier than trying to reach around yourself. Only please do it quickly, b/c we can't dispatch the car with you standing ;) (or wait until you're moved forward to the belt check spot, then stand and do it). Oh, if you're short, you may have issues getting into the vehicle, but most people are just fine, even us larger folks :D

danyoung
07-06-2003, 05:34 AM
They have seat belt extenders at the ready on belted rides, like Star Tours. I visit with a brother who weighs in at a hefty 350. He has no problems.

Enjoy!

Bartman72
07-06-2003, 08:49 AM
I didn't appreciate how accomodating DLR is to people of larger sizes until I went to Knotts.

Most of the rides were a pretty tight fit for me, but I was shocked when I didn't even come close to fitting on Ghostrider! I'd estimate that my waist would have to be 38-40" or less, which is ridiculous, even though I understand the park caters mostly to the younger crowd.

To their credit, they do post signs at a number of rides saying not everyone will fit, but I imagine they've had to deal with a lot of disgruntled guests. I sent them a letter, and someone in management sent me back a reply that was very polite, but basically said they weren't going to make any changes any time soon.

But at DLR in most of the rides there's room to spare. Even the fast ones.

Disneyphile
07-06-2003, 10:56 AM
I've only had two incidents:

Two weekends ago, the CM's tried loading 3 of us (adults) into 1 row on TMAOWTP. I'm a size 18, and my friends are somewhat smaller. (Were they going to provide a crowbar to get us out at the end? Geesh!) So, we split up ourselves up into 2 rows, much to the dismay of the CM.

As for Matterhorn, I don't care if I become super skinny in the future, I'll never ride with more than myself. About 2 years ago, my boyfriend at the time ended up sitting too far forward and the seatbelt wouldn't go around me (we had riden earlier with no problems). Instead of holding the car for a moment and letting us get out to readjust, the CM grabbed my seatbelt and fastened it very tightly across my ribcage and then sent the car. I could hardly breathe, and whenever we hit a dip, it would suck the little bit of air from my lungs. I just kept wanting it to come to a stop, and when we did get off, I was sore, and ended up with bruises the next morning. :( So, advice for the Matterhorn - ride by yourself!

Grog
07-06-2003, 11:55 AM
If you are large in the chest area as well - you may have issues with the over the shoulder on Screamin.
I'm a male, 6'1", around 310# with a 52 inch chest and 44 inch waist and I have had no problem with any of the rides at DLR or WDW

I didn't appreciate how accomodating DLR is to people of larger sizes until I went to Knotts.
I know what you mean. I went to Six Flags Astroworld a couple of years ago for the first time in about a decade and found I couldn't ride most of my favorite rides, and the ones I could ride were uncomfortable.

There is a trick to the belts, however - pull the belt out before sitting
This is the best trick I have found as well. The belts on Disney rides are very long. I usually can buckle myself in with plenty of belt left over.

dsnylndmom
07-06-2003, 12:59 PM
The only problem I've ever seen was when we went in May and my friend wasn't allowed to ride Maliboomer, she's about 5"9/5'10 and somewhere around 300lbs.

mandi2728
07-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Im 5'7" and around 300 lbs, though I look like 220 or so, and I have never had a problem on Maliboomer. And I have a large chest, and have not had trouble on Screamin.

HBTiggerFan
07-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
I've only had two incidents:

Two weekends ago, the CM's tried loading 3 of us (adults) into 1 row on TMAOWTP.

OK, 3 "average size" adults can't fit in 1 row on TMAOWTP! :eek: I cannot believe the CM tried that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

experiment626
07-06-2003, 08:12 PM
TMAOWTP
:confused:

mandi2728
07-06-2003, 08:12 PM
the many adventures of winnie the pooh

experiment626
07-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by mandi2728
the many adventures of winnie the pooh
Wouldn't it be easier just to say Pooh? :p Its the first time I have ever seen is abbreviated like that.

Lashbear
07-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
Wouldn't it be easier just to say Pooh? :p Its the first time I have ever seen is abbreviated like that.
They do it that way for the same reason we say ROTFL instead of HA !

:p :fez:

experiment626
07-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
They do it that way for the same reason we say ROTFL instead of HA !

:p :fez:
Why's that, to confuse people ? :D

Mitchwebb
07-07-2003, 02:27 PM
I do have a problem with my four year old riding with me on a few rides. She gets way to much air time because of the bar not being close enough to her. She rides with her dad or big sister on the rides that have one bar for both riders.

:eek:

amarvel
07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
My dad is a larger man and he has NEVER had any problems on any rides at DLR, he has at other parks but never at DLR.

As far as the Matterhorn, I am not a larger person but I still like my own seat, it is way too crowded to have two people share unless it is an adult with a child.

dsnylndmom
07-07-2003, 03:22 PM
mitchwebb my husband has the same problem with our 4 year old some rides(BTMRR etc)because he's a big guy(6 ft, 250 lbs) and our son is a mere 41.5 inches and 36 lbs!! so I take him on those rides.