PDA

View Full Version : Walt's Chili

drjones
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Hello Everyone,
It's been years since I last posted anything here, but I'm back with a REALLY important question.

I want Walt's chili. The kind they serve in bread bowls and in Chili dogs at Coca Cola Corner.

I tried the recipe that they give you at City Hall on Main Street, and it is not the same.

The Disneyland version is thicker, browner, and has a hearty taste.
The recipe, which I confirmed online from different sources, is thinner, watery, and something is missing from the taste.

I've also read that Walt ate Hormel or Dennisons chili.

Neither tasted the same.

My question to you all, is, has anyone here tried to make this chili, or does anyone have any insider information as to the chili they ACTUALLY use in Disneyland?
This includes the chili they use in the chili cheese fries at Taste Pilots Grill in DCA, which I assume is the same recipe.

Thanks Everyone.

BlkPearlCptn
03-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I just downloaded "Walt's Own Chili" from the D23 site. Haven't made it yet, but it looks delicious!

drjones
03-15-2012, 06:43 PM
it's not the same. I mean, it's the same recipe ( http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/01/walts-own-chili/ ) as they give you on Main Street. This is what you get following the directions:

this is without the cheese.

drjones
03-15-2012, 06:45 PM
this is what you get at Disneyland.

i know, mine doesn't have a boat load of shredded cheese..

drjones
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
or this:

hard to see because it's buried in cheese.

bumblebeeonarose
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Perhaps it is just something about the ingredients you use, rather than the recipe not being correct. Although, it is quite possible that they won't give you the true recipe.

drjones
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Perhaps it is just something about the ingredients you use, rather than the recipe not being correct. Although, it is quite possible that they won't give you the true recipe.

That's what I'm afraid of. I've also tried to make the Bengal BBQ chicken skewers, and they're not exact either.

drjones
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM

here is homemade with cheese

olegc
03-15-2012, 09:30 PM
more chili powder will make it darker - and if you cook it longer it would probably get darker. Also, it looks like the beans from the park are darker kidney style than the ones from your sample.

I don't think that any of the park locations say this is Walt's recipe they use, they just say it was one of Walt's favorite dishes (you're ok to correct me on that). More than likely the chili is made institutionally - so its canned and cooked/heated at the park (not made from scratch).

TTFN92
03-15-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't think your looks watery. As for taste, since it says you can add the different ingredients for zest but there isn't any measurements that could affect the taste because it could be any combination. I was also wondering what "solid pack tomatoes" are. I'm guessing canned whole tomatoes. But solid pack may mean there are more tomatoes in the can and less juice. And with less juice you get a less watery chili. That's just a guess. But those pictures, including yours, look very yummy. I've never gotten chili at DL. I may have to try it. I think I need to make some too :o.

mkraemer
03-16-2012, 07:09 AM
My theory is that the chili you make could be exactly the same recipe, but when you're not eating it at the park, it lacks that little dash of magic...and that makes all the difference!

Malcon10t
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
My theory is that the chili you make could be exactly the same recipe, but when you're not eating it at the park, it lacks that little dash of magic...and that makes all the difference!We know the brand of churros DL buys, we buy them somewhere else, and they just aren't quite the same...

AnotherJenny
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Maybe if you let yours soak in a bread bowl it would take care of some of the liquid.

Just curious, are you cooking it in a crock pot, or covered? I think if you cover it you should start with less liquid.

candles71
03-16-2012, 10:28 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. I've also tried to make the Bengal BBQ chicken skewers, and they're not exact either.

Ooo, we had someone post the recipe as he (iirc) learned while working there oh 3 ish years ago.
ETA: Post 6 in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?124677-Bengal-BBQ-sauce&highlight=bengal+bbq+recipes)