PDA

View Full Version : Is Oswald going to be in the park?

Pages : [1] 2 3

TTFN92
03-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I thought I read something a long time ago that Oswald was supposed to be in the new additions of DCA but haven't heard anything recently. Am I remembering wrong?

monkeygirl
03-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Oswald is the name of one of the stores at the entrance - I want to say the one that use to be Greetings from CA"

MadasaHatter
03-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I seem to recall from the Blue Sky Cellars that it was Oswald's Gas Station!.....I may be wrong as I may be mad but I may be right maybe????

Having him walking around would be quite nifty!

TTFN92
03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I thought that's what it was. I have a nephew who loves Oswald. He will be extatic :D.

kangaandroo
03-11-2012, 05:05 AM
My daughter would die from happiness if that happened!

IllusionOfLife
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I would love to see Oswald introduced into the parks in a significant capacity. The Oswald Fueling Station is a nice nod to the character, but since it's been said that the Buena Vista Street Shops won't actually feature the characters they're named for I'm hoping we'll see Oswald around in some other form.

Personally, I would love to see him beside Mickey on the new statue they have for Buena Vista Street, but I know it's not going to happen.

olegc
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I agree with IllusionOfLife. In fact- I don't think it will ever happen. Like Song of the South - Disney owns it - but that doesn't mean they'll do anything with it.

Rufus T Firefly
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I agree with IllusionOfLife. In fact- I don't think it will ever happen. Like Song of the South - Disney owns it - but that doesn't mean they'll do anything with it.
But they do have Oswald t- shirts.

btowndude
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Hopefully, they will bring over some of the new Oswald merchandise at TDR.

http://newlife2006.jugem.jp/?page=3

houseofmouse
03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh my that is some cute merchandise! I would so buy some if they bring it to DCA!!

IllusionOfLife
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Like Duffy, Oswald is a huge hit over in Japan, but unlike Duffy I hope Oswald, when he's ever properly introduced in the states, can catch on in a significant way. I know as an animation buff and a Disney enthusiast I'm in love with the little guy, but it remains to be seen whether the general American public will embrace him as strongly as Japan has.

danyoung
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I would totally support Oswald merch, as it's a legitimate part of Disney history. Duffy, on the other hand, is a totally manufactured character with the sole purpose of moving merch, which for me is completely uncool!

kangaandroo
03-21-2012, 06:29 AM
I would totally support Oswald merch, as it's a legitimate part of Disney history. Duffy, on the other hand, is a totally manufactured character with the sole purpose of moving merch, which for me is completely uncool!

What he said ^ !

carolinakid
03-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Just say NO to Duffy!

IllusionOfLife
03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
For the record, I completely agree with danyoung as well. I only brought up Duffy to point out the fact that he and Oswald are both huge hits in Japan while neither have made a big splash in the states. The difference, though, is that Disney's tried and failed to make a splash with Duffy, but they really haven't decided what to do with Oswald and outside of Epic Mickey and a few bits of Merchandise back in 2007 American Audiences aren't acquainted with him yet.

danyoung
03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Understood, IOL. I usually tend to let things that I disagree with just kinda wash off my back. But every time I see Duffy, whether it be merch or the walkaround character, I flat out get angry at the fraud that Disney is perpetrating - about the most blatant money grab they've ever done, IMO.

cstephens
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
But every time I see Duffy, whether it be merch or the walkaround character, I flat out get angry at the fraud that Disney is perpetrating - about the most blatant money grab they've ever done, IMO.

I'm sorry, but this amuses me.

danyoung
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Just to be clear, is it Duffy that amuses you or ME? Not that it matters - I just want to know when I'm being amusing!!!

cstephens
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Just to be clear, is it Duffy that amuses you or ME? Not that it matters - I just want to know when I'm being amusing!!!

I'm amused that anyone is angry at Disney for trying to make money. It's not you, per se, I've heard others say something similar as well. It always amuses me.

As for Duffy, he's cute, he's a stuffed animal. I don't have one yet but that's mostly a function of how Disney has chosen to sell him and his clothes.

danyoung
03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't have any problem with Disney wanting to make money. I have a huge problem with Disney, with all of their history of animated characters that we all know and love, inventing a new character and promoting it as if we are all supposed to love it the same way we love Mickey and Goofy.

cstephens
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a huge problem with Disney, with all of their history of animated characters that we all know and love, inventing a new character and promoting it as if we are all supposed to love it the same way we love Mickey and Goofy.

Isn't that pretty much what Disney does every time they make a new animated feature?

Malcon10t
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't have any problem with Disney wanting to make money. I have a huge problem with Disney, with all of their history of animated characters that we all know and love, inventing a new character and promoting it as if we are all supposed to love it the same way we love Mickey and Goofy.Isn't that exactly what they did with Lightening McQueen, Mater, Woody, Buzz, etc?

bumblebeeonarose
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Although I think Dufffy is a cute photo-op, I understand what Dan is saying. The other characters come from movies, rides, etc. But Duffy was mostly made to be a souvenir. It is a strange concept. Although, how could they resist the popularity of a Build-A-Bear like toy...

IllusionOfLife
03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Disney does every time they make a new animated feature?

No, because in those cases the merchandise is designed to promote the art, but in the case of Duffy the story is designed to sell the merchandise. While the intent in both cases is to turn a profit, movie tie-in merchandise is the product of a work of art, something that is designed to enrich and entertain; Duffy's story is not art, it is not designed to enrich or entertain, it's designed to sell stuffed bears.

In my opinion it's not any different from the Transformers or G.I. Joe cartoons and movies which were designed to sell toys, and I don't have a major problem with it for the same reason I don't have a problem with the Transformers cartoons, but it is a bit of a naked cash grab. It'd be like if Disney introduced Sammy the Skateboard as a meet and greet character next to a shop that sold skateboards. It's not charming or endearing, it's cold and cynical. When you wait in line to see Mickey you're waiting for the opportunity to hug and take a picture with a beloved character, when you wait in line to see Duffy, you're waiting for the opportunity to hug an advertisement.

cstephens
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
when you wait in line to see Duffy, you're waiting for the opportunity to hug an advertisement.

Actually, I figure those waiting in line to have a pic with Duffy are waiting to meet a character they like. No one is forcing them to get in line, and no one is forcing people to buy Duffy or his clothes. True, it didn't work the first time they tried to introduce him here, and it was really only because he became very popular in Japan that they tried again here. But it seems to be working.

Like I said, I'm just amused at people who take umbrage at Disney daring to try to make money...and succeeding.