PDA

View Full Version : D23 Expo – The Ultimate Disney Fan Event – Returns to Anaheim

Pages : [1] 2 3

MousePlanet AutoPoster
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
http://static.disneylandnews.com/files/2012/03/Download-Medium-300x105.jpg (http://static.disneylandnews.com/files/2012/03/Download-Medium.jpg)

Advance Tickets On Sale August 9, 2012, for the Most All-Encompassing Disney Fan Event in the World

BURBANK, Calif. – March 12, 2012 – All the magic and excitement of the past, present and future of Disney entertainment will come together once again when D23: The Official Disney Fan Club presents an all-new D23 EXPO (http://d23.disney.go.com/d23-expo-2013/) at the Anaheim Convention Center on Aug. 9-11, 2013.
“The D23 Expo has become a phenomenal way for Disney fans to see everything they love about Disney all in one place — from Disney’s biggest stars and latest innovations to unforgettable performances live on stage,” said Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, which produces the bi-annual D23 EXPO. “Our third Expo is sure to create even more magical new experiences and memories for our biggest fans attending from throughout the U.S. and around the globe.”
“Anaheim is extremely pleased that the D23 EXPO will be returning next year,” said Charles Ahlers, president, Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau. “This exciting event is quickly becoming an industry icon, drawing Disney fans from around the world. The Anaheim community truly appreciates and enjoys this quality show and positive impacts it brings.”
More than 40,000 Disney fans attended D23 EXPO 2011, which brought together the entire world of Disney under one roof for three star-studded days and nights. Fans were treated to appearances by superstars like Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Regis Philbin and Billy Crystal; enjoyed performances by Dick Van Dyke, The Muppets and Disney princess voice talent Jodi Benson, Paige O’Hara, Lea Salonga and Anika Noni Rose; previewed concept art and attractions coming from Disney Parks and Walt Disney Imagineering; glimpsed back at Disney’s rich history through extraordinary panels, presentations and exhibits; and discovered the newest entertainment, technology, and products from The Walt Disney Company.
Among the highlights of D23 EXPO 2013 will be expanded capacities at some of our most popular venues; the 2013 Disney Legends Ceremony, which honors the talented men and women who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy; Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, a treasure trove of crown jewels from the Walt Disney Archives; the bustling aisles of the Collectors Forum, where Disney fans can buy, sell and trade Disney collectibles, memorabilia and merchandise; and a massive show floor full of special opportunities to see what’s on the horizon for Disney around the world—and where guests may bump into their favorite Disney stars, characters, Imagineers, animators and filmmakers.
Advance tickets for the D23 EXPO 2013 will go on sale at D23Expo.com beginning August 9, 2012. D23 Members receive special pricing on both one- and three-day tickets to the event, which is also open to the general public.
D23 Members receive early admission to the Expo show floor, and D23 will once again give a special thanks to D23 Charter Members, providing them special access to the Expo’s Charter Member Lounge. Members will also have an opportunity to purchase a special Sorcerer Package, which provides a host of special benefits and amenities.
D23 EXPO 2013 marks the third D23 Expo held in Anaheim — the first Expo was held in 2009 followed by a second in 2011. Each event played host to thousands of Disney fans from every corner of the globe. Starting today, guests can visit D23Expo.com to relive some of the extraordinary experiences from the first two Expo events and get a peek at what’s to come in 2013.
D23: The Official Disney Fan Club celebrates the remarkable past, present and future of Disney, taking its name from 1923, the year Walt Disney founded his world-famous company. D23 unlocks the magic of Disney with a host of exclusive benefits, including a quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; a rich website at www.D23.com (http://www.d23.com/); a weekly e-mail newsletter; an array of discounts and special offers; free gifts throughout the year; as well as exclusive events created especially for its members.
Disney fans can join the world’s only Official Disney Fan Club by visiting www.D23.com (http://www.d23.com/), or at select shops at the Disneyland® Resort, the Walt Disney World® Resort and www.DisneyStore.com/D23 (http://www.disneystore.com/D23). To keep up with all the latest D23 news and events, follow “DisneyD23″ on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.

Andrew
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
So, are you going?

rickosuave1987
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I will most likely go again. We had a really good time and wish we could have gone to all 3 days of the 2011 Expo.

I just really hope that all the good stuff doesn't overlap so much so we don't feel like we missed a lot.

cstephens
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
So, are you going?

Yes, but I do wish it was longer than 3 days.

TTFN92
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
How much is it?

cstephens
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
How much is it?

Prices haven't been announced yet since tickets won't go on sale until August.

KarenW2
03-10-2012, 02:12 AM
We're already planning to get our tickets, as soon as they become available! We went with the Sorcerer's Package for both of us last time and it worked out really well, so if/when they open it up for those tickets, we're going to try our best to get them again!!

I just hope it's not the same weekend as my Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Collectors Convention that is usually held in August, in Kansas City, Mo., in the odd-numbered years! I haven't yet figured out how to be in 2 places at the same time! Last time, I was 2 weeks before the D23 Expo.

TTFN92
03-10-2012, 05:19 AM
How much is it?

Prices haven't been announced yet since tickets won't go on sale until August.
How much were they last year? I'm just trying to get a ballpark.

cstephens
03-10-2012, 08:27 AM
How much were they last year? I'm just trying to get a ballpark.

I found this article that AVP wrote (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?747-Disney-announces-pricing-for-the-D23-Expo-2011-including-1000-quot-Sorcerer-Package-quot) that has some pricing information for the 2011 Expo.

dban3
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Ah, the wonders of timing. D23 was announced by Bob Iger at the Annual Shareholder meeting in March 2009 (which is also coming up this Tuesday in Kansas City BTW). Charter memberships are coming up for renewal. If you're sitting on the fence as to renew or not, a nice press release announcing the organization's signature event a year and a half from now, where event tickets will not even be on sale for six months, maybe there's the incentive to get your membership renewal payments in on time (and you will have to renew not once but probably twice before the event itself). That's the cynical side of me.

On the other hand, since I'm not a Southern California local and any advance announcement of future dates of events I might be interested in is a great help in making plans.

cstephens
03-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter memberships are coming up for renewal. If you're sitting on the fence as to renew or not, a nice press release announcing the organization's signature event a year and a half from now, where event tickets will not even be on sale for six months, maybe there's the incentive to get your membership renewal payments in on time (and you will have to renew not once but probably twice before the event itself). That's the cynical side of me.

But it's been known since the last day of the 2011 D23 Expo that there would be another one in 2013. The only thing new in the press release is the actual dates of the 2013 convention.

dban3
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
But it's been known since the last day of the 2011 D23 Expo that there would be another one in 2013. The only thing new in the press release is the actual dates of the 2013 convention.

Yes.... I understand. But if you're a D23 member outside of the L.A. area and maybe you are thinking to yourself "Am I really getting my money's worth out of this membership?" A nice gentle reminder from Disney that says "don't forget, the Expo is coming" is enough to spark the response "Yeah, I need to keep my membership going. I may want to make plans and join in the fun everyone seems to have at the event (ignoring the problems of the last Expo and the fact that you don't have to be a D23 member to attend)". Nothing is known about D23 membership numbers - how many members there actually are, but it is a safe assumption that after the initial charter period and the adding of the second level lower cost membership, the numbers of have not increased significantly and in fact, they have most likely decreased as people get more frustrated with D23 (the usual arguments, the perception that SoCal D23 members have the opportunity for most of the premiere events, the high cost associated with some of these events, and the events sometimes sell out the minute before anyone has a chance to get in on them). Disney has has to do what they can to keep the revenue stream of D23 membership going so a press release for an event a year and a half from now is harmless and gets the juices for people who like to plan flowing. Nothing wrong with that.

Tinkermommy
03-10-2012, 01:41 PM
D23 Expo – The Ultimate Disney Fan Event – Returns to Anaheim, Once Again Bringing Al

The heck with tickets...I'm still trying to figure out who "Al" is. :p

cstephens
03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes.... I understand. But if you're a D23 member outside of the L.A. area and maybe you are thinking to yourself "Am I really getting my money's worth out of this membership?" A nice gentle reminder from Disney that says "don't forget, the Expo is coming" is enough to spark the response "Yeah, I need to keep my membership going. I may want to make plans and join in the fun everyone seems to have at the event (ignoring the problems of the last Expo and the fact that you don't have to be a D23 member to attend)".

See, that's the part I don't get then. It's well known that you don't have to be a member to attend the Expo. Disney is very clear on that point. Sure, you get a discount on tickets, but I don't know if the discount is enough to make up the price you'd have to pay for the membership fee, especially if you're counting two years of membership fees. With the membership, you get into the Expo an hour earlier each day (as I recall), but again, I'm not sure that's enough to justify the membership cost.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm surprised at people who are D23 members and yet don't live in the Southern California area or the San Francisco Bay Area or the Orlando area, where most of the events are held, since I don't think they're getting an added benefit by being a member. I live in the Los Angeles area, and I don't attend many events because they usually start in the early afternoon, and it's often too much of a hassle to get off work early enough to attend. A friend who lives in Sacramento asked me what I thought about D23, and I pretty much told her that given her circumstance, it wasn't worth it for her to join.

tea4two
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
The heck with tickets...I'm still trying to figure out who "Al" is. :p

LOL! Now I have this running through my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA&ob=av2e

olegc
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
With the membership, you get into the Expo an hour earlier each day (as I recall), but again, I'm not sure that's enough to justify the membership cost.

I'm a member and did take advantage of the 1 hour early last year- but if all you want is the expo I don't think it's worth it. Well, then again, on the Disney movies day unless you were a member you could not get in the arena - all of the members were in line early. Also, it seemed that the Sorcerers package was only available to members.

As with anything at Disney - it's a personal choice and how much value you perceive is there (a point cstephens has it home many times). You should price it out and think about whether its worth it.

SJF510
03-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Will we attend? 2009 was delightful, more fun than we ever imagined and we left with our hearts full of the Disney magic and really glad that we had the oppportunity to do the Expo. 2011, well, sucked. I really don't know if I can covince DH to give it another go. I will probably try to attend, but I cant say this generated a whole lot of excitement in our family. I think a lot may come down to what tickets are available. We would never spend $1K pp for a Sorcerer's package. For that, we'll go to WDW for a week or take a cruise. Now maybe if they had some sort of a "preferred" ticket that was a regular person sort of mark up and guaranteed some seatings or avoided the hellacious line in the AM, we might be more interested.

Blacksheep Uncle
03-10-2012, 09:01 PM
nope, won't be going again...we were HUGELY disappointed with the generally terrible organization and the extremely limited capacity for the events...I don't think I've seen as many angry and frustrated Disney fans (and CMs) in one place before

SuzanneSLO
03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
We had a great time in 2011. Not as good as 2009, but still great. We attended every program we wanted to attend, except 1, which we knew would require some amazing pixie dust due to the ending time of the prior program. We were members both years and would not plan to upgrade our tickets to anything other than member tickets next time.

The timing is perfect for us. We get off the Dream on the 8th and will need to fly home to LAX. -- Suzanne

GORGON
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I do plan on attending, I am an out of towner. Just a few questions
Would i not be able to buy a membership say 3 month prior to the event and still get the discount? or is there a date that you would have to join to get this this offer?
Getting in an hour early is priceless to me and would not mind paying the extra for that.

Also how many tickets am i able to get with my membership?

Thanks;)

rickosuave1987
03-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Would i not be able to buy a membership say 3 month prior to the event and still get the discount? or is there a date that you would have to join to get this this offer?
Getting in an hour early is priceless to me and would not mind paying the extra for that.

Thanks;)

I am fairly certain that as long as you have a member #, you can get the discounted tickets. Last year I got my membership as a birthday present in June, and bought my tickets the next week.

And I am pretty sure they limited it to 4 tickets per purchaser last year.

GORGON
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks, can't wait

lilfaeriebrat
03-13-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks;)

Last year the prices were cheaper the earlier you purchased them. There were I think 3 different prices for members based on when you purchased. The closer it got to the event the more expensive the tickets were. You can become a member a few days before the event and still get the member prices.

If I remember correctly you get your ticket and 4 others with your membership.

cstephens
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Since it'll be the third year of the Expo, I wonder if people will better understand how a convention like this is run. Unfortunately, the reality is that you do spend a lot of time in line waiting for things, and you might not get into the popular panels because too many people want to do the same thing or if two panels you want to see occur at the same time. There's really no other way to do something like this unless they were to restrict admission to only those who would fit inside the biggest ballroom and hold all the panels there.

olegc
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
i will add if you go solo (like I have the last 2 years) its very difficult to get to what you want. I would not recommend it for most people.