PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Limo?

kellymouse
07-03-2003, 03:15 PM
What is superstar limo and why is it closed? Is this temporary? Is this a fast moving ride or slow?
Thanks!

hbquikcomjamesl
07-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Well, my memory is a bit hazy, since I rode it exactly once, during the DCA passholder soft-open, but . . .

It's a dark ride. The scenario: you're some international superstar, and you've just landed at LAX. You board a limo for a wild ride through Los Angeles (mostly Hollywood), accompanied by a wisecracking driver (who appears on a monitor built into the ride vehicle, as I recall). The whole ride is based on nonstop series of in-jokes (Madame Leota from HM makes a cameo appearance in one of them), and while I found it cute, I was expecting something more like "GMR-lite" (i.e., a "mini" version of the Great Movie Ride from WDW-MGM). My reaction to it was one of the most favorable; most people hated it outright.

The queue entertainment is very iffy: outside, you hear a "white zone/red zone" announcement spoof (a la Airplane!, but not as racy); once in the building, however, you're subjected to an obnoxious animated Joan Rivers (either a puppet or computer generated; I don't recall which, but with the real voice; I thought the real Joan Rivers was obnoxious enough!).

It's basically gone until such time as it can be rethemed into something less tacky, and with more sustained interest.

Disneyphile
07-03-2003, 05:24 PM
I have one reason as to why it no longer and should never again exist:

Joan Rivers

:eek: :eek: :eek:

MonorailMan
07-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Bring it back. :)

EandCDad
07-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by kellymouse
What is superstar limo and why is it closed? Is this temporary? Is this a fast moving ride or slow?
Thanks!

It's a pretty slow moving ride. It moved like some of the Disneyland Fantasyland rides. It was closed because it wasn't very popular. It's been closed for some time and their are rumors every once in awhile that it will a) reopen or b) change the theme and reopen. So far, nothing has happened.

newhdplayer
07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by kellymouse
Thanks!

Best Ride at DCA. I hope they bring it back soon. Great theming and outstanding animatronics.

DisneyFan25863
07-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Best Ride at DCA. I hope they bring it back soon. Great theming and outstanding animatronics.

Dude, you just pretty much signed your Death Certificate saying that on a Disney Message Board :fez:

jerjer2005
07-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer

I was very impressed with the ride and really liked it! i keep hoping for its return!!!!

and just a little correction the guy on the screens in the cars is not your driver hes your manager.

newhdplayer
07-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
I was very impressed with the ride and really liked it! i keep hoping for its return!!!!

and just a little correction the guy on the screens in the cars is not your driver hes your manager.

Agent.

newhdplayer
07-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Dude, you just pretty much signed your Death Certificate saying that on a Disney Message Board :fez:

I thought this was a place for the thoughtful exchange of ideas and opinions........but only if they conform to the underlying philosophy....

disNeytEen
07-04-2003, 01:33 PM
i don't understand the purpose of Joan Rivers in my opinion take her out you have a popular ride. Who really wants to her here talk anyway :p

YellowMan
07-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Dude, you just pretty much signed your Death Certificate saying that on a Disney Message Board :fez: Hmm...Actually I've only really found that to be true on this Disney message board, others are a little more tolerant of people's opinions.

Anywho, the ride was tacky, slow, and cheap, but it was the only ride in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot that had something to do with California and it was also the only dark ride in the park. I think it would be a shame to have it rethemed to Monsters, Inc or some other Disney animated film for a couple reasons (first, films like Monsters, Inc deserve better than an overlay to SSL and second, they shouldn't get rid of one of the only rides about California left in HPB). Overall, it was slow-paced and somewhat enjoyable if you went into it not expecting much.

dshimel
07-04-2003, 01:55 PM
This is what I heard. When doing customer satisfaction surveys, Superstar Limo was getting such bad numbers, it was a major drag on the overall park numbers.

It was really bad, in my opinion. A plywood and paint "comedy stage" with a fiberglass Tim Alan. The Anamatronic quality was about as good as a department store window display. One arm moving up and down.....

The singing fish on a plaque AA put this Disney attraction to shame!

Really, the only two things I liked about this attraction was the mud slide effect in Malibo and the end. The mud slide was simply different sized spinning drums, spinning at different speeds, with mud painted on them... Simple and lame, but infinatly more imaginative than anything else on the ride.

Went on it at noon on a fairly busy day in DCA (hour standby for Soarin' half-hour for Screamin') No one else in line. 2 cast embers were cycling empty cars. As we got off, 2 more people were waiting to get on. Must have been serving a total of a few hundred people a day. NOT worth operation or maintenance costs for that many guests.

Kuzcotopia
07-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Worst attraction ever.

But like very few bad things that are REALLY AWFUL, this one managed to be entertaining in it's sheer utter awfulness.

Kind of like Joan Rivers herself.

Bring it back!!!!

hazlnut
07-05-2003, 11:40 AM
I thought is was an example of Disney's shameless self-promotion.

Disney probably didn't want to pay for the rights to create animatronic classic film and TV stars so they used their own ABC talent pool. But now, since, most of the ABC 'stars' featured on the ride don't even have shows and ABC is falling behind FOX in the ratings lately, riders will soon be saying, "Who's that, again?" or "What was she on?"

The one and only time I rode, I couldn't help but wonder if all the celebrities had knowingly gone along with this or if Disney used some 'intellectual property' legal end-run to get out of paying Tim Allen, Drew Carry, and the rest for the use of their likeness.

Anyway, the Hollywood Pictures Backlot is not much of a themed area or land, and the addition of Tower of Terror isn't going to help much.

Like the rest of DCA, they have a long ways to go (10-15 years) before the place starts to feel like a separate theme park and not just a place to go when DL gets too crowded.

awinner
07-05-2003, 10:21 PM
I was just told last night by a guest relations person (who has been there for 3 years) that as of december 1st that ride will be done in a Monsters Inc. layover, he states that he has already seen one or two of the models/anamatronics, and that the ride will otherwise be identical (track wise as before)

9oldmen
07-05-2003, 10:58 PM
How reliable is this guest relations person, and how could they have "been there for 3 years" when the park is not even three years old? Do you mean at the resort for three years?

awinner
07-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
How reliable is this guest relations person, and how could they have "been there for 3 years" when the park is not even three years old? Do you mean at the resort for three years?

started in attractions, when dca opened, he worked SSl, for past 1 1/2 years he has been in guest relations, his name is corey or carlos...can't remember. wears the plaid w/ that big gold "d". he now does the red carpet tour ( i think that what its called), the one where the women use a crop & footsteps tour.

Kuzcotopia
07-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Mmmm.... Women using crops.

disNeytEen
07-06-2003, 11:23 AM
So will you be crusing down monter streets and looking at sights of the monster world or what

dsnyredhead
07-06-2003, 12:27 PM
I say, mix Superstar Limo with a Buzz Lightyear type ride, you get so many points for each "star" you hit. Double points for Regis and Joan Rivers.

DisneyFan25863
07-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dsnyredhead
I say, mix Superstar Limo with a Buzz Lightyear type ride, you get so many points for each "star" you hit. Double points for Regis and Joan Rivers.

And put in a "hidden Pressler" that will get you 5 million points :fez:

EandCDad
07-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
It's been closed for some time and their are rumors every once in awhile that it will a) reopen or b) change the theme and reopen. So far, nothing has happened.

Originally posted by awinner
I was just told last night by a guest relations person (who has been there for 3 years) that as of december 1st that ride will be done in a Monsters Inc. layover ....

Every once in awhile, there are rumors.....