PDA

View Full Version : the off and on tripod ban... on again?

olegc
02-20-2012, 07:22 AM
just saw a post on twitter from @disneylandlive that the ban on tripods is being strictly enforced. Anyone else have official news, or experienced this?

Andrew
02-20-2012, 08:15 AM
As always, it depends on which bag check line you go through.

stan4d_steph
02-20-2012, 09:50 AM
It seems that more people are being harassed now inside the parks, based on anecdotal social media evidence.

houseofmouse
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
is there a specific size restriction? Are there signs anywhere stating no try-pods? Really the only way to get decent fireworks pictures is with a tri-pod.

quackinup
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
From their FAQ Folding tripod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted.

ralfrick
02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
The thing is, the official DL site specifically states that tripods are allowed. Unless they've made a change that is their right of course, it shouldn't be an issue for small ones at least.
"Folding tripod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted."
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/

I haven't taken one for a number of years, but plan to do so on Leap day for all that glorious night, so I hope they at least follow their own policy. Plan to bookmark it in phone just in case.

A bientot.

WDWFigment
02-22-2012, 04:16 AM
The thing is, the official DL site specifically states that tripods are allowed. Unless they've made a change that is their right of course, it shouldn't be an issue for small ones at least.
"Folding tripod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted."
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/

I haven't taken one for a number of years, but plan to do so on Leap day for all that glorious night, so I hope they at least follow their own policy. Plan to bookmark it in phone just in case.

A bientot.

It seems like this new policy is sporadically enforced. Last May, I was told tripods were not allowed in the park, so I pulled up that policy-page on my phone. I was then informed that you're allowed to bring tripods into the park, but you can't use them. (Seriously...that's what the security guard said.) After politely pressing the matter a bit further, the security guard explained it was so that people wouldn't have to store them in their cars. He further indicated that the week prior, someone brought in a $30,000 video camera system so it didn't get damaged by heat in their car, but they couldn't use it in the park. Right... because a $30k piece of electronics is somehow comparable to a $200 carbon fiber contraption that will be unaffected by being in a car.

Based upon everything I've heard and witnessed firsthand, no amount of logic usually helps in these situations. It's no-win for the photographer. The "rules" security plays by are discretionary and made up as they go along, it seems. It's best to just put the tripod away and use it another time.