PDA

View Full Version : Best Value Inn and Suites

dizneyangel
07-03-2003, 12:14 PM
We're going to DLR on July 19-22, and I was wondering if anyone
has stayed at this hotel? My main concerns are w/the comp breakfast and dinner buffets. What kind of foods are offered, etc?
Thanks to anyone who has any input about it.

dizneyangel
07-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Sorry, one more question. How far from the resort is the hotel? I believe it is on W Chapman.

Thanks!

dsnylndmom
07-03-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm staying there July 16-19 for the LP meet! I've seen pretty consistent reviews for it on LP, very good breakfast, not so great dinner(chili and salads and fruit, hot dogs and salad and fruit) just very basic. I've seen no complaints on rooms except one poster said the water at times ran hot then cold, but no one else had that problem. Everyone has said it was clean and spacious, but a tad dated.

I know it's not walking distance but I don't think it's more than 5-10 minutes away. They do have their own private shuttle though, that you have to schedule, I guess. We have AP's so we'll just drive and park.

We are staying in a penthouse room how about you?

Kanga mom
07-03-2003, 03:31 PM
While the travel of our trip began Friday morning, my trip report about the hotel begins Thursday evening, as I called the Best Value Inn and Suites, confirming our reservation for the next day. Unfortunately, there was no record of our reservation, despite me having a reservation number. The clerk on duty could do nothing for me, except give me a new ressie, but all the non smoking rooms were full. He noted on our reservation we wanted "non smoking" and said the staff would give me one when we checked in. That didn't sound right to me (if they don't have the rooms, they don't have the rooms) but as there was nothing I could do, I decided to wait until the next day, and call the manager.

Friday morning I got up early and drove and picked up the mom and her two girls that were traveling with us. My daughters friend, Abbey, had spent the night. We got my sons off to Vacation Bible School and started our drive down to L.A.

While on the road, I called Best Value Inn and talked to another desk clerk, who told me I couldn't get a non smoking room if there were none available. I was a bit frustrated (to say the least) and kept saying, "but I have a reservation number!". I also pointed out that we were traveling with a child with asthma, who couldn't handle a room with smoke odors. He called back about an hour later, after talking with a manager, telling me they had found us a room. Thank goodness! (Wait, there will be more about the hotel later!)

Check in to the hotel went smoothly, and we relaxed in our rooms, then went to dinner at the hotel for their free meal. This night it was chili. A server served the bowls of chili. There were chopped onions and tomatoes to put on top. The salad bar that went with it offered iceberg lettuce, grated cheese, whole chili's and cottage cheese, as well as two kinds of dressing. Lemonade, punch, water and tea were available through the soda fountain. Luckily, three of our four girls liked chili. The 4th ate salad and cottage cheese. I felt the dinner was okay, but nothing spectacular, but is was free!

Saturday morning we got the girls up and went to the free breakfast at the hotel. I was more impressed with this than dinner. They had bread for toast, bagels, sweet rolls, english muffins and muffins. They also had oatmeal (not instant), scrambled eggs and make your own Belgian waffles (that were quite good).

The girls again swam Saturday evening and we ate the free dinner at the hotel. Tonight it was hot dogs and the same salad bar. Again, not great, but adequate, and helps if you are on a budget. While I was in the bathroom, Abbey turned on the tv and charged $10 of music CD''s to our room. I was not happy, and when I went to the check in, the clerk took the charge off (telling me they can only do it if you ask soon enough). She also "locked" the system.

The breakfast on Sunday was exactly the same as Saturday, but still good.

On Monday, the girls we up by 8, so we went to breakfast at the hotel. We packed up and checked out of the hotel At check out, I noticed an extra charge, for $20. It turns out someone charged a tip for their maid and gave the office a wrong room number. They did fix it right away.

The postscript to our hotel saga: When I got home Monday night, I went online to check out my expenses from Disneyland (just to see if I forgot to record any expenses, as can happen) I saw a charge for the Best Value Inn and Suites, for $99. I figured it had something to do with our "lost" reservation" and called and left a message for the manager. Tuesday, the manager returned my call. He asked for both reservation numbers, to see if her could figure things out. However, he told me he would credit my card with the amount. He called back later, and it turned out our date had been entered wrong….6/24 instead of 6/27. Those numbers are next to each other on the keypad, so it's easy to see how it happened.

Best Value Inn and Suites is not a hotel I would have normally stayed at, since I like to be within walking distance to the park. However, it made the most sense for us, because of the meals, and the two bathrooms. The dinners weren't great, but they were adequate and did reduce our costs. The breakfasts were quite good, but they don't seem to vary the hot offerings, as they once did. But what they offer is pretty darn good. My guess is only the Embassy Suites offers a better free breakfast. The belgian waffles were quite good. We did usually eat early, but on the last morning, when I ate at 8:30 (a half hour before it shut down) there was still plenty of food left. When I compared what we had to what was mentioned previously, it does appear the variety has been reduced (ie...only orange juice, not orange and apple juice, no hot cocoa packets, no peanut butter, and just one dish at dinner....hot dogs, not chili cheese hot dogs)

I should also add that my girlfriend (who doesn't travel very much) really liked the hotel, although she also admitted the beds weren't the greatest. And, all 4 girls LOVED the hotel, they thought having an upstairs was cool (none live in a two story house!) and they were crazy for the murphy bed.

We did have problems with our reservation, but I do think you can't always help that (people do make mistakes). I think the real issue was their customer service. The Manager did find us a non smoking room, and a clerk took off our music charge. When I called about the extra charge on my VISA, the manager was apologetic and dealt with it right away. I was pleased about that. Customer service is also a biggie with me!

dizneyangel
07-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks so much for the info you two. It helps alot to have an idea of what to expect as far as the meals go. We are staying in a studio, there's just my husband, daughter and I. We will be getting our AP's again so we will drive and park also. I'm getting so excited since we haven't been in about almost 2 years!

Thanks again.