PDA

View Full Version : Park Arcades

Pages : [1] 2

dban3
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM
In all the forum threads in cyberspace about ElecTRONica or the future of Tomorrowland, a sub-idea is featured talks about the popularity of Flynn's Arcade or the Starcade. Maybe its an age or generational thing (maybe its a passholder thing) but I don't get it all. Why would you spend all that money to get into Disney park and then take valuable (i.e. expensive) time to play video games - something that you can usually find in abundance at some kind of local family fun / mini-golf center? Why would you want your kids to do spend their Disneyland time in an arcade ("boy... I've spent a fortune for you to get in here and experience some of Walt's magic now put those tokens back in your pocket and lets go watch the singing birds....")? It's just one those Disneyland things I don't understand. Explanation line forms over at the left.

houseofmouse
02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Ok I will add my two cents. I grew up at Disneyland, we lived less than 30 mins away and had passes until I was in High school. I only recall one or two times I went into the arcade and played something. I could go to our local mall and play all the video games I wanted. Remember Arcades at the mall?? :) So when we went to DL, we went to ride rides, see parades and eat and have fun, not play video games.

Now as a parent, my kids have not played games at DL or DCA at Electronica. My DH tried out a game one night last summer at DCA and we were like 'hmm, let's go do something else! Now I can see using the arcade as a distraction for small kids say if the rest of your party is riding Space Mtn or something. Go in, look around, maybe play a game while you are waiting. A lot of people think of it as nostalgia, now while I don't want to see it turn into all shopping, I am sure there is something better they could do with the space. I would say Meet N Greet but I might get beaned!

MidwayManiac
02-11-2012, 01:06 PM
In all the forum threads in cyberspace about ElecTRONica or the future of Tomorrowland, a sub-idea is featured talks about the popularity of Flynn's Arcade or the Starcade. Maybe its an age or generational thing (maybe its a passholder thing) but I don't get it all. Why would you spend all that money to get into Disney park and then take valuable (i.e. expensive) time to play video games - something that you can usually find in abundance at some kind of local family fun / mini-golf center? Why would you want your kids to do spend their Disneyland time in an arcade ("boy... I've spent a fortune for you to get in here and experience some of Walt's magic now put those tokens back in your pocket and lets go watch the singing birds....")? It's just one those Disneyland things I don't understand. Explanation line forms over at the left.

I'm with you. I won't spend a dime in the arcades. My kids know if they enter and play it's with THEIR money, not mine. And even if they have the money, I don't have the time.

Besides they're nearly as happy at Innoventions where the games are free.

ogold72
02-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I am an unabashed Flynn Arcadeophile. I thought it was awesome. Im sure it is a generational thing and thus also a nostalgia thing - but you know what? Alot of Disney is nostalgia - we go on rides that we went on as kids. We see them through our kids eyes and remember how we felt when we were kids. Similarly, that was my experience during my one visit to Flynns Arcade. So many memories came flooding back when I stepped foot in there, I felt like I stepped back in time. it was pretty surreal. In addition, it was the theming - the lighting, the music. It wasnt just about the games, it was about the journey back to another time. Now for the games themselves, Im not sure what family fun place or mini golf place you guys have in your neck of the woods, but that assemblage of games was impressive and probably only Disney could pull that off. There were so many games that I hadnt seen in more than 20 years - I dont know how they even found them and the condition of them was mint. It was really cool to have all those games in one place.

Now I do agree that we didnt come to DLR to play video games per se, but I think that its a nice little diversion for 30-45 minutes. I would also mention that the Boardwalk Games at Paradise Pier are also not particularly unique to DLR they should fall into that category as well, but I have never heard anyone take issue with them. There are plenty of offerings at DLR that can be found outside the park but the great thing is that if they do offer something available elsewhere, it has that Disney theme and magic infused into it and that is what makes it special.

Not that I have an opinion on the topic :)

oregontraveler
02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I can see spending time in an arcade on several points. Mostly, Flynn's Arcade brought back memories of growing up in the
80, (graduated high school in '87) the games were cheap too, 25 or 50 cents a game. Compared that to what you would spend at the boardwalk games. And as ogold72 said, it was the lighting and the music as well. Arcades were pretty big back then.

NOW, as a infrequent visitor. I usually make 1 trip a year, lasting 4-5 days. If I had some extra time on those last days to kill, I could see taking a trip down memory lane for a few minutes. Notwithstanding, the current Starcade is a joke for me.
Nothing of interest and the importance of retail over games is obvious. I'd sure like to know why the second floor was closed down in the first place. It would be nice to see it used again in 'some fashion'

I can also see the appeal for kids and having mom or dad humor them for a little bit and play some games every now & then. Yes, I understand you are paying good money to have fun at the parks and go on all the rides. But I can see the games as bit of a meltdown prevention factor.

Bytebear
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree on the nostalgia. I walked into Flynn's and I was immediately in 1982 Jr. High. I found myself putting quarters in and loving the old games. And you know what, the price of 25c a game is still the same after 30 years.

Iceman
02-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Others have exquisitely explained why Flynn's is hardly a "why waste time there when you're at Disney" experience. The Starcade is a tougher sell. But I'll just say that most of the experiences at Disney, taken individually, are not stunningly unique. "Why would I order a cheeseburger at Disneyland when I can get one anyplace?" "Why would I ride on a big Ferris wheel when I can do that at any county fair?" Why would I go to a petting zoo, or buy a baseball cap, or drink a beer, etc., etc., etc. Some people just like video games, and if they choose to spend time and money at Disneyland playing them, maybe the OP should just consider that a way to keep people out of line on the attractions they want to experience!

BlkPearlCptn
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree on the nostalgia. I walked into Flynn's and I was immediately in 1982 Jr. High. I found myself putting quarters in and loving the old games. And you know what, the price of 25c a game is still the same after 30 years.
This.

ralfrick
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I would also mention that the Boardwalk Games at Paradise Pier are also not particularly unique to DLR they should fall into that category as well, but I have never heard anyone take issue with them.

Then you should've been here in 2001. Those games were actually one of the top complaints people had when DCA opened; the general feeling among many was that they were an insult to the memory of Walt Disney who specifically wanted to create a place free of things like those games. I personally just avoid them rather than get worked up about it, but would shed no tears if they were bulldozed this afternoon.

A bientot.

cstephens
02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
In all the forum threads in cyberspace about ElecTRONica or the future of Tomorrowland, a sub-idea is featured talks about the popularity of Flynn's Arcade or the Starcade. Maybe its an age or generational thing (maybe its a passholder thing) but I don't get it all. Why would you spend all that money to get into Disney park and then take valuable (i.e. expensive) time to play video games - something that you can usually find in abundance at some kind of local family fun / mini-golf center?

I worked in the Penny Arcade and Starcade many years ago, and I wondered that same thing, when I'd see kids come in with rolls of quarters and spend quite a bit of time and money playing video games. I do think it's different when one has an annual pass and can spend a lot of time at Disneyland, because you use your time differently than would someone who only gets to visit infrequently. I also think it's a matter of some of the machines not necessarily being readily available everywhere. I love air hockey but can't find those machines in very many places. It was always something I played a few games of up in the Starcade when I'd visit on a day pass because they had them up there, and usually without much of a wait. For Flynn's, it's the same thing. When I go, I'll play the games that are a bit harder to find elsewhere and that aren't very crowded there.

danyoung
02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
If the games available are something different than what you can get in the average arcade in the outside world, then it can be a fun thing. Way back when, the Starcade used to boast the latest and greatest games, some of which I'd never seen before. And WAY back when, they used to have some really fun mechanical games in the Penny Arcade on Main Street, like the real helicopter that you would fly around and try to make contact between its sensor arm and some stationary posts, or the old school arcade games with a real rifle where you'd shoot mechanical targets, etc. But just to come in and play a standard arcade game? No way!

ogold72
02-12-2012, 03:25 PM
@ Dan - the games in Flynns Arcade are old school and arent standard, they are now vintage and rare and awesome

@ Ralfrick - I dont care for the Boardwalk Games either, mostly because they gouge you just to play them, and I will never pay to play those games. But to the point, that was just an example to highlight that there were other parts of the park that can be found outside the park. Replace Boardwalk Games with Coca Cola, or Ferris Wheel or Vineyard. All are not unique to DL but all have, like Flynns, are put into Disney theme and therefore have a different feel and own Disney uniqueness.

ScottC4746
02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Ok I will add my two cents. I grew up at Disneyland, we lived less than 30 mins away and had passes until I was in High school. I only recall one or two times I went into the arcade and played something. I could go to our local mall and play all the video games I wanted. Remember Arcades at the mall?? :) So when we went to DL, we went to ride rides, see parades and eat and have fun, not play video games.

Now as a parent, my kids have not played games at DL or DCA at Electronica. My DH tried out a game one night last summer at DCA and we were like 'hmm, let's go do something else! Now I can see using the arcade as a distraction for small kids say if the rest of your party is riding Space Mtn or something. Go in, look around, maybe play a game while you are waiting. A lot of people think of it as nostalgia, now while I don't want to see it turn into all shopping, I am sure there is something better they could do with the space. I would say Meet N Greet but I might get beaned!

I can top that! Remember pinball machines? Even more, remember when it was 5 balls for a quarter instead of 3 for 50 cents or what ever it costs now?

danyoung
02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
@ Dan - the games in Flynns Arcade are old school and arent standard, they are now vintage and rare and awesome.

Well, then that would be entirely fun, wouldn't it? I'm sure they have the old Tron game, right?

ogold72
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, then that would be entirely fun, wouldn't it? I'm sure they have the old Tron game, right?

Now you are tracking! Yes, they did (do?) have Tron. Very cool!

So BTW - Our next visit is 31 Mar - 4 Apr. Will Flynns even be available?

Iceman
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, they have the original Tron game as well as a brand-new Space Paranoids that was expertly coded to LOOK like it came out in the 80's. And since ElecTRONica is supposed to be around until the end of April, Flynn's should be open until then as well (although only on the weekends during slower weeks).

DwarfPlanet
02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
And WAY back when, they used to have some really fun mechanical games in the Penny Arcade on Main Street,

Everytime I go by the Penny Arcade I miss the way it used to be in the 70's. I loved playing the old games and movies for a penny, a nickel or a dime. And though not mentioned above I loved the old shooting arcade and the new one. The shooting arcade is always a must do at least once every trip for me.

danyoung
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
So you probably remember the old arcade that actually shot pellets at the targets - MUCH more fun than the current electric sensor version!

megzrg
02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
The only arcade our son has ever even asked to play in is the one on Main Street because of the novelty of the machines in there. As far as more modern games, a trip to innoventions does the trick.

DwarfPlanet
02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
So you probably remember the old arcade that actually shot pellets at the targets - MUCH more fun than the current electric sensor version!

Yes I remember it and did it. I actually like the new electronic version better due to the action that happens when you hit a target. My favorite is the ghost rider across the sky.

danyoung
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree with you that the current action is pretty cool. Still, there was something special about actually shooting something, even if it was a simple target being hit with a pellet.

Teddi
02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
You know, sometimes the simple things still appeal to folks, and kids. I like the arcade (like, not love) because those are old school games and I miss them and they are about as video-gaming as I get (mostly). My 7 year olds LOVED it though when they went for the first time in December. In fact one of my daughter's threw a fit that we were leaving and she still had one unspent token. I mean, she was still mad about it when we got home. She was also mad when we only spent like $2 in the arcade last week. I like it for a change of pace... just a place to duck out and regroup.

DwarfPlanet
02-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I agree with you that the current action is pretty cool. Still, there was something special about actually shooting something, even if it was a simple target being hit with a pellet.

Yeah I think there was more bragging rights involved with the old pellet one. I remember my dad and I trying to out shoot each other with my mom and sister rooting for both of us.

pcrazy99
02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I am going to miss Flynn's. I liked being able to go back in time and play the games I played as a kid. Even though I can play the same games at home on an emulator it's just not the same. I would like it if these games were to be moved to the starcade, but I don't think that would happen. I don't play the newer games in the starcade because they don't compare with the newer releases on ps3 or Xbox. I also don't have that connection with playing them growing up.

As far as playing video games at Disneyland, I think it's just personal preference. I love Disneyland but I don't like experiencing everything it offers. The parades and fireworks are all the same to me. I don't enjoy sitting and waiting for a spot to watch these events for several hours when I could do something I enjoy like playing video games or riding rides.

TTFN92
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Are they getting rid of it for sure?