PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin's Future?

Pages : [1] 2

dban3
02-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Since I haven't been to DL in awhile, has the Whole New World with the flying carpet sequence been put back in the show after the accidental carpet flip last September? Last I heard, it hadn't. It was easily the best moment (or 3) of the show, guaranteed to give goosebumps to any first time show viewer or even someone like me who has probably seen Aladdin more than a dozen times over the years. Which brings me to my question to ponder - whether the flying carpet sequence is in the show or not, maybe it time to think about replacing the show with something new, something different. I think Aladdin is now about 8 or 9 years old. There was a rumor about a show replacement 18 months to 2 years ago that was met with outrage by the legions of Aladdin fans (the ill fated Toy Story, the Musical idea) so Disney quickly put that concept to rest. But maybe with all the other changes going on in DCA, maybe the time is now to start thinking about a new featured show. The idea that I have liked most floating around is that with Disney owning such a rich catalog of memorable characters and music, a 40 minute medley of the best of Disney (and Pixar) would seem just right.

MidwayManiac
02-11-2012, 12:56 PM
has the Whole New World with the flying carpet sequence been put back in the show after the accidental carpet flip last September?

Doubt it. I was at a December 19 show. Got me thinking if they hadn't reinstated it by then, good chance it's not coming back.

It was a bit funny and sad at the same time watching a large portion of the audience look to the ceiling in anticipation, then a murmur of confusion, followed by whispers from a few in the know saying "Yeah they took the flying carpet outta the show."

carolinakid
02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
So how is A Whole New World staged now? Aladdin & Jasmine stand on the stage singing their hearts out about a magic carpet ride??????

MidwayManiac
02-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Can't remember exactly. I wanna say the Eiffel Tower, Sphynx, Acropolis, and Onion Domes are alone on stage for the first half of the song, then Jasmine and Al join them for the end same as before.

candles71
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Kids got back Thursday night, and they said no it isn't in the show still. Yes the song starts with the landmarks and then they join on stage but I can't remember exactly what they did while on stage. (It has been 2 months now since I saw it last. ;))

oregontraveler
02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Kids got back Thursday night, and they said no it isn't in the show still. Yes the song starts with the landmarks and then they join on stage but I can't remember exactly what they did while on stage. (It has been 2 months now since I saw it last. ;))

it sounds like then, they have not changed the stage part of the show. Because while Aladdin & Jasmine are on the carpet,
the 'landmarks' float thru the stage with fog. then A & J appear at the end and then kiss.

Pammer
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
...has the Whole New World with the flying carpet sequence been put back in the show after the accidental carpet flip last September? Somehow I missed this story when it happened last year, but now I understand why we didn't see the carpet flying when we saw the show a couple of weeks ago.

AJDerrick
02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
It was soooo sad when we were there close to Christmas to have just the fog on stage with the landmarks for the first half of the song. Sigh. If they aren't going to put it back then maybe it is time for something new.

Ooo! Can we have Newsies??? :)

danyoung
02-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Somehow I missed this story when it happened last year, but now I understand why we didn't see the carpet flying when we saw the show a couple of weeks ago.

Take a look at this clip on Youtube - it looked pretty scary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgOad2ZsGbo&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Iceman
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Actually, it didn't look "scary" at all to me! This is, of course, why the performers are securely strapped in. And for the thousands of times that magic carpet sequence worked flawlessly, I don't understand why a single technical glitch should have that particular sequence axed from the show forever. If the Imagineers can't figure out WHY the carpet flipped, that's one thing, but I also find it hard to believe that after all this time they haven't been able to determine a root cause and corrective action.

danyoung
02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I can sum it up in one word - lawyers. I'm sure they know what went wrong, and they've taken steps to fix the problem. But the lawyers can come in and completely close off anything they want if they see even the remote possibility for a lawsuit, either from the performers or from the family from East Manure Iowa whose little Jimmy was scarred for life by seeing such a horrible, horrible accident!

cheshirecatgirl
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I love this show, I was really hoping they could fix the carpet and go on like always. I just watched that video, thank goodness everyone's safety straps worked! It actually didn't look all that bad, but I'm sure it must've been pretty scary for the people on it! I would love for this show to stay, but if they want to do something new, it needs to be just as good as this one! I mean, how we can replace the awesome pop culture cracking genie?

JunJunM3
02-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Personally, Aladdin without the flying carpet is akin to F! without Murphy. I'm not saying both shows are not good without them for they are still immensely enjoyable. Their absence just sticks out a lot.

Shortpix77
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree that the absence sticks out a lot -- the first time I saw the show sans carpet, I kept looking around thinking they'd at least have Aladdin and Jasmine peeking out from somewhere above, or in the windows at the sides of the stage. I think it might even be better if the "stage carpet" rose up sooner with the two of them on it, singing the whole song in the middle of the stage. It's pretty weird to just have random landmarks floating around and no characters in view...

oregontraveler
02-15-2012, 03:54 AM
I agree that the absence sticks out a lot -- the first time I saw the show sans carpet, I kept looking around thinking they'd at least have Aladdin and Jasmine peeking out from somewhere above, or in the windows at the sides of the stage. I think it might even be better if the "stage carpet" rose up sooner with the two of them on it, singing the whole song in the middle of the stage. It's pretty weird to just have random landmarks floating around and no characters in view...

I wonder if you could get way with using doubles during the first part of the song, having one set of A & J on the right, then 'almost right after' appear on the left. I think that's a better use of seeing A & J without the flying carpet.

kidrericha
02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
I thought they were shutting this show down. What ever happened to the Toy Story stage show that was supposed to replace it?

Drince88
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
What ever happened to the Toy Story stage show that was supposed to replace it?
That idea was tabled. I don't recall it they decided to keep it on the Wonder, or if they just decided not to move it to DCA.

fairestoneofall
02-20-2012, 06:54 AM
FWIW, the show will be running on the Disney Fantasy. I'm not sure if the shows will run simultaneously or the DCA show will pack up and head to the open seas.

MadasaHatter
02-25-2012, 09:59 AM
I saw ALADDIN my last trip in NOVEMBER and as much as I like it I think it is time for a new show in that Theatre. I am sure with the redo of DCA it will be a year or so but I don't know how you couldn't say it is time unless you are on the side of just always keeping it the ALADDIN show. Even the GOLDEN HORSESHOE REVIEW changed. ( I think it hit a record in the GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS for longest running show.) I vote for a new show. I am mad.

dban3
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
My friend and his family went to see Aladdin early part of last week. The show was stopped twice due to "technical difficulties". After the second stoppage, they just sent everyone out of the theater. Time for something else. Time to move on. The hands of time seem to be dictating it.

carolinakid
03-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I first saw Aladdin in 2004. I hate to think it'll STILL be there in 2013 when I visit again. Time for something new, guys.

dban3
03-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I first saw Aladdin in 2004. I hate to think it'll STILL be there in 2013 when I visit again. Time for something new, guys.

People hate to think about losing the Genie along with his topical humor and carefully crafted one liners. He really is the true star of Aladdin (like the movie). It has often been mentioned that with Disney having a rich catalog of memorable characters and music, some sort of Cavalcade of Disney Stars might be the best approach for a stage presentation that would have some kind of lasting popularity. Why not have Aladdin's Genie serve as the host of the proceedings? It could work.

Nancy
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
People hate to think about losing the Genie along with his topical humor and carefully crafted one liners. He really is the true star of Aladdin (like the movie). It has often been mentioned that with Disney having a rich catalog of memorable characters and music, some sort of Cavalcade of Disney Stars might be the best approach for a stage presentation that would have some kind of lasting popularity. Why not have Aladdin's Genie serve as the host of the proceedings? It could work.

Years ago in Disneyland there was Animazement ......I'm sure that's spelled wrong. I loved that show but it bored my then young children to tears.

dban3
03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Years ago in Disneyland there was Animazement ......I'm sure that's spelled wrong. I loved that show but it bored my then young children to tears.

I would agree, if the characters where strictly Disney, younger viewers may get bored because there is so little to have an emotional attachment to, but throw in Pixar characters with Buzz, Woody, Wall-E, and maybe a Lightning McQueen and everything will be just fine. Kids would love it. Grown-ups too.

Drince88
03-18-2012, 04:43 AM
But Animazement DID have the 'current' characters that kids had an emotional attachment to at that time.