PDA

View Full Version : Earl of Sandwich to replace Compass Books in Downtown Disney Anaheim

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVP
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Disney just announced (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/earl-of-sandwich-coming-to-downtown-disney-district-at-the-disneyland-resort-this-summer/) that the Earl of Sandwich chain is opening the first California location in the space currently occupied by Compass Books. Compass Books is closing on March 31, and Disney says the new sandwich shop will open sometime this summer.

MousePlanet first mentioned the Earl of Sandwich rumor when the news of Compass Books' closing came last month. Though Disney officially says that the owners of Compass Books chose to close the Anaheim location to focus on their San Francisco stores, columnist and Disney author David Koenig has reported (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9861/Graveyard_Shrift) that Disney forced the departure by refusing to renew the bookstore's lease.

Adrienne

Andrew
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Hooray!

Inexpensive, high quality dining at Downtown Disney!

(Will the Earl keep their prices as low as at WDW? Will Disney allow it?)

houseofmouse
02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
EEEEEEeeee!! Is that a word? I am so excited for this! Although first I get Earl in Florida then next summer in Cali! Whoohooo! Hopefully by 2013 the crowds will not be so awful? Hey I can wish right?:eek:

3Princesses1Prince
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stan4d_steph
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Great news! Nice to have another lower-cost option. Lines will be insane though.

Drince88
02-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Yummmmmmmmmm

bennette
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Squee!

cheshirecatgirl
02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Yay!

SteveK
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Awesome...we didn't get a chance to eat there during our WDW trip and will definitely try the one here. Bummed Compass Books is leaving though.

adriennek
02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
This is me jumping up and down and cheering!!!!!!

Shunasee
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Very exciting!

This has to be one of my fav places to eat in WDW, (helps that we stay close to DTD).

Rufus T Firefly
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Al Lutz is right on the money again.

queenbetsey
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
*SQUEEL O'DELIGHT!!* Finally getting some good stuff! Is it too much to hope that at the other end they might put in a Puck's Express too?? Hey we can always hope right?

THpoohbear
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
OH I am THRILLED! Yum! Earl actually used to have a location maybe about an hour to an hour and a half north of LA but when I recently went to look it up they had closed. Compass books IMO, had horrible service and coffee. This is definitely an upgrade! I just wish their location wasn't going to be all the way at the end of DTD.

*SQUEEL O'DELIGHT!!* Finally getting some good stuff! Is it too much to hope that at the other end they might put in a Puck's Express too?? Hey we can always hope right?

You read my mind! I always have the most difficult time choosing between WGP Express or Earl. I have to go to WDW DTD at least twice so I can eat at both. Finally, something in DTD that I will enjoy!

And yes, I'm positive their prices will be higher than WDW's version. Almost every food item at WDW is significantly lower than at DL, even when it is exactly the same product. :(

DisneyFunFamily4
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
So excited about this!

You read my mind! I always have the most difficult time choosing between WGP Express or Earl. I have to go to WDW DTD at least twice so I can eat at both. This is exactly how i feel too! we love them both. I think IF we only get to DTD once over spring break we'll do WGP express since there will be a EoS in Anaheim soon!

bumblebeeonarose
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
And yes, I'm positive their prices will be higher than WDW's version. Almost every food item at WDW is significantly lower than at DL, even when it is exactly the same product. :(

I wonder if that is just the difference between Florida and California.

houseofmouse
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
But Earl is not Disney owned. Why would Disney have any say in prices? If anything Earl may decide it can get higher prices because everything is more in CA? There is an Earl is Vegas too but I have not eaten there.

Drince88
02-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Unless corporate memory is really short at WGP, I doubt they'll come back to DL. They used to run what's now Ariel's.

bumblebeeonarose
02-08-2012, 05:11 AM
But Earl is not Disney owned. Why would Disney have any say in prices? If anything Earl may decide it can get higher prices because everything is more in CA? There is an Earl is Vegas too but I have not eaten there.

That's what I was saying about the two states. Things are just cheaper in Florida than California, so the restaurant prices are too. Of course flying to Florida is a lot more spendy than driving to California for my family, so overall it's still cheaper to go to Disneyland.

Toocherie
02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I wonder if that is just the difference between Florida and California.

I noticed the price difference in popcorn buckets between WDW and DL a few years ago; in chatting with a cast member there were two items that he indicated probably contributed to the higher cost in California; employee wages and taxes.

jananafish
02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
There is an Earl is Vegas too but I have not eaten there.

I've only ever had EOS in Vegas and wasn't all that impressed. I'll stick to bringing my own Togo's :)

candles71
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM
You could always hit WGP Express in SNA. ;) Of course you have to fly somewhere to access it. :p

ogold72
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
So much excitement over this restaurant. Ok, so whats their signature sandwich or what makes it so special?

3Princesses1Prince
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Heres some EOS food pics http://www.earlofsandwichusa.com/our-food/signature-hot-sandwiches/

I've had the cannonball. Sooo delicious. Meatballs were moist and definitely didn't take like frozen, I was stuffed about 2/3 way through. My kids had the pizza sandwich. I have no clue what DH or my inlaws had because I was too busy inhaling my own food. I think my oldest got the BLT which she loved.

THpoohbear
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
The bread is scrumptious. Is is lightly crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Their sauces are delicious and everything tastes very fresh. It is a must try.