PDA

View Full Version : 6/15 Grand Relaunch of DCA (6/14 Media Day) [Unconfirmed]

Pages : [1] 2

JunJunM3
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
The dates for DCA's grand re-opening event have finally been chosen. June 14th will be the media day and private celebrity party, and June 15th will be the official first day of operation for customers. There will only be a handful of days for AP Previews and soft openings for Cars Land in early June, and those dates aren't confirmed yet. June 15th will also kick off DCA's new operating schedule of daily 8AM to 11PM hours through the summer.
- Al Lutz

I guess they are getting it done on the early end of projections, given I've read various reports of mid July to even late August for the relaunch.

KarenW2
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I wonder if they'll be doing any D23 club activities for this! I hope Bonnie Hunt will be there and that we can see all of the festivities!

TTFN92
02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
We planned our trip for the 15th thinking we'd miss the crowds because we didn't think it was opening so soon. Now it will be a very crowded trip. Should be exciting though.

olegc
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
If they run it like the 50th - then the "media day" means that DCA may be closed to the public. If you recall May 4th 2005 Disneyland was closed to the public in order to ensure they could support the mountains of media present. I was able to attend with my sons because we won tickets. I bet they do the same with DCA on June 14th, then June 15th we may see some of the same lines we saw for the 50th though not as long - they wont have to open Disneyland to host the line (but you never know).

AnotherJenny
02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
My pass expires on the 15th. I guess I should start saving...

houseofmouse
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Very exciting! I will be watching from my computer in WDW that day!! I am kinda glad that we aren't going to DL in June this year as I am not a huge lover of giant sized crowds of people! :) I am looking forward to the pictures and videos though!

jrsharp21
02-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Looks like we are going to battle the crowds. We have a small window in June for our last trip to DL before we move out of state.

olegc
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Looks like we are going to battle the crowds. We have a small window in June for our last trip to DL before we move out of state.
if you're staying on property - I would keep checking with Disney to see if there will be any benefits for hotel guests - fast passes, etc.

jrsharp21
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
if you're staying on property - I would keep checking with Disney to see if there will be any benefits for hotel guests - fast passes, etc.

Good idea. We will probably stay at PP or DLH.

bumblebeeonarose
02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Our passes expire on the 13th. I hope one of those AP experiences will be on one of the days we're visiting in June.

dban3
02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
The cynical side of me has been musing over the DCA relaunch this morning. So come June 15 and for about 3 months following I can restart my dream of wishing I had a nickel for every time a variation of the following phrase is spoken within the confines of the Disneyland resort - "Man, it's crowded in here". I could retire comfortably and gracefully. Which begs another pondering built on the economic principle of supply and demand. The demand to get into DCA, and Cars Land specifically, will probably exceed the physical space available. Come April or May, seems like an opportune time for a park admission and passholder price increase. A captive audience of park guests awaits. Even if they do hold off until later in the year, the price increase is coming and its probably going to be big....

3Princesses1Prince
02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Price increase is always coming....

jsilkey
02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Does this mean everything they were doing to DCA will be finished? I am thinking of the cable cars and the central plaza, they just say 2012 on the website...is that summer? Are there any new plans that go with this remodel or will it be temporarily "finished"?

olegc
02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
everything is supposed to be finished with this Phase 1 - Buena Vista Street (cable cars and central plaza), retheming Boardwalk games and shops, Carsland, etc. All done.

I have read elsewhere that they may in fact have to limit the access to Carsland at its entry points if it gets too crowded. I think they may have designed it a little like Critter Country - there is no backend way to it (though there are two "entrances" from the Entertainment Corridor).

Chessur
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Hmmm. I will be going with my mother and sister in June; we were thinking about making the 10th our first day and staying through the 15th, but we might try to move it a little earlier to avoid the insanity. That said, I don't really care about Cars Land (I'm curious to see it, of course, but absolutely wouldn't be willing to wait in first-day lines), but I am so excited to experience Buena Vista Street! I wish that would finish up early and open a bit in advance. :eyeroll: This will be my last trip for some time, so I'll have to really consider what my priorities are...

jsilkey
02-05-2012, 07:06 AM
We are going September 2-6. The 2nd might be busy, but the other days should be light. Carsland will probably still be somewhat busy, but I think it will be doable :) going just after Labor Day to avoid crowds. Staying at the Grand Villas....any chance they will do early entry type thing like they did/do? for WOC tix?

Drince88
02-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Has anyone seen this date from a source other than Mr. Lutz?

3Princesses1Prince
02-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Nope. It's still just a RUMOR.

olegc
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
true, a rumor (or you can call it an unconfirmed report). I have never believed 100% of what comes out of there (because, as we know, the WDC can change its plans) but he did have it right for the 50th and it's May 4th-May 5th kickoff. One of my other sources I check on, blue sky disney, just recently started posting again ... maybe something soon from there.

3Princesses1Prince
02-05-2012, 08:45 PM
true, a rumor (or you can call it an unconfirmed report). I have never believed 100% of what comes out of there (because, as we know, the WDC can change its plans) but he did have it right for the 50th and it's May 4th-May 5th kickoff. One of my other sources I check on, blue sky disney, just recently started posting again ... maybe something soon from there.

True, but I believe he was wrong about World of Color......but in his defense so was Disney. SO I'm putting it out as a rumor so people don't try to necessarily plan their trip around this one report.

fairestoneofall
02-06-2012, 04:31 AM
people don't try to necessarily plan their trip around this one report.
But you know people will (they always do) and then they'll make a HUGE stink about it if their trip isn't perfect!

3Princesses1Prince
02-06-2012, 09:51 AM
But you know people will (they always do) and then they'll make a HUGE stink about it if their trip isn't perfect!

Well yes....but that'd happen anyways.

Andrew
02-06-2012, 11:34 AM

There's a very good reason (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_embargo) you haven't seen this from any other source.

3Princesses1Prince
02-06-2012, 01:10 PM
There's a very good reason (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_embargo) you haven't seen this from any other source.

Very interesting!

olegc
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM

right - AVP has mentioned that in the past - that Disney has requested this from their media sources. So - since MousePlanet is a media site - this is why they comply. "Other" sites are more blog/rumor/personal opinion (or any combination there of) so they may at times tend to ignore embargo requests.