PDA

View Full Version : MINER 49ers GONE! FATE OF LIVE MUSIC

MadasaHatter
01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I just read in the updates that the MINER 49ers are going away. Noooooooooooo! I never went to DLR without catching them. Planning a trip in the spring for my pal THE DUDE'S birthday and he will be devastated. Live Music is our favorite for sure. We catch a complete set of EACH group. No kidding.

The sad thing is I have heard that live music is always in debate to be cut ( I heard this from an entertainment director at DW so not a "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend-thing") AND this was quite a while ago.

The sad thing to me is since I go to DL a lot and ALWAYS catch the music I always see little kids in pure elation and dancing and having a good time and the parents don't even notice or care. One poor girl met the MAD HATTER and was having the time of her life and didn't want to leave the DL Band and the festivities. So sad. I mean HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL doesn't do it for me. Are they replacing the MINER 49ers? I think every land should have some sort of live music or show and hope with BUENA VISTA ST. we have something new to look forward to ( I can't imagine a band in CARSLAND but you never know)

I just ADORE live music.....am I mad??????????????

IllusionOfLife
01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I've always felt that live performances really helps those areas come alive, whether it was the Pirates who used to walk the shores of Tom Sawyer's Island, the performances that happen outside of the Golden Horseshoe, or the bands in New Orleans Square and Main Street. I even enjoyed the Indiana Jones performances that they had in Adventureland back in summer of 2008. That's one thing that Disney has done that's always felt really magical to me and its a shame to see it get cut back more and more.

Personally, I never went out of my way to see the Miner 49ers play, but I always appreciated their presence, and I will be writing to Disneyland about this issue.

MadasaHatter
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I truly am hoping that it is a shift in the focus in DCA.....as in getting a group or two together for BUENA VISTA ST. so that is why that budget is cut! I am also all for change and there is indeed enough country/sea chantie style music over in DL....fingers crossed.

oregontraveler
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Given that the Delta Daddy-O's are no longer 'on stage' on a regular basis, I'm not surprised to hear the news. But on the flip-side, there will be 3 new musical groups performing in DCA this summer once everything is finished. There is a Newsboys group that will perform around the trolley cars, a female vocal group called the "Friendly Sisters" (think Andrew sisters song style) I forget the 3rd one. but they also announced a new show starting Feb. 17th called Minne's Fly Girls.
This will be outside Soarin' by the control tower, Minnie and her girl group will sing songs from the 40's, 50's & 60's.

While some long standing groups have been given the heave ho, at least they are being replaced and not eliminated.

tea4two
01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
... I just ADORE live music.....am I mad??????????????

To the live music fans out there: please write or email Disney to let them know how important this is to you!! I filled out an electronic survey in DL last year that specifically asked whether the live music was important to me and how often I made a point of seeing and staying for the entire performance. Of course, I answered that it was a very big part of my DLR experience and that as a passholder, I often go just for the music. It caused me concern that the survey was so specifically aimed at the live entertainment factor. I'll be leaving a comment at DCA about the Miner 49ers on my next visit to the parks.

houseofmouse
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I have noticed a huge lack of live music in the park anymore. Remember the guy that would play jazz in NOS? Haven't seen him in forever. The quartet in DCA? Loved them! Miss the Pirate show in NOS too! That was always fun and live actors, musicians really distinguishes the park from just a regular amusement park. Are they victims of budget cuts or what?

MammaSilva
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
This is going to make my daughter very sad, we make a point of seeing the show at least once each DAY of our visit, some days we managed to be at two performances. I loved that the show while simliar was really never just a repeat of the one earlier in the day. The interaction with the guests and especially the washboard routine were among my personal favs. I hope the new offerings will be as high quality as the ones we're losing are.

Blacksheep Uncle
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
the Pirate musician show was going on in NOS all three Christmas time trips I took this year (multiple out of town friends came out so I made multiple trips, poor me ;) )

I know they periodically re-cast or re-adjust the live entertainment, maybe that is all that is going on? It is that time of year...

houseofmouse
01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
We were picked to join the show in 2006 and we did the washboard routine. I love the pics I have from that.
I was there Dec and never saw the Pirate act, bummer!!

olegc
01-25-2012, 09:21 AM
The Bayou Brass was one of my favs in NOS - as well as the sax player (whom I think passed away) and the older guitar player. THey still do offer music from the group that used to support the Tiana meet and greet, a trio plays on the FM stage, and once in while back by the restrooms.

THere is still the Poppins-themed musical group, Disneyland band, the ALl American Band in the summer, the tomorrowland terrace groups, etc. I have not seen the new group at Paradise grill at DCA but have heard they are great.

I have seen the decline the overall live music - but it's not totally gone. I think it was posted above that the parks are simply ending one contract to enable another to make changes to what is available. So there is not as much, and it's not as improvised of spontaneous, but they do still have it.

It is a sign, though, long in the making that the marketing and entertainment folks still don't (or won't) understand that because Disneyland's fan base is a lot more locals based, that we may in fact come to know the groups and come to the park and expect to be entertained by them as a "favorite" attraction. To me - the parks simply see "live music" as an attraction, not necessarily which group it is. Its unfortunate for fans but its a reality.

MadasaHatter
01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Given that the Delta Daddy-O's are no longer 'on stage' on a regular basis, I'm not surprised to hear the news. But on the flip-side, there will be 3 new musical groups performing in DCA this summer once everything is finished. There is a Newsboys group that will perform around the trolley cars, a female vocal group called the "Friendly Sisters" (think Andrew sisters song style) I forget the 3rd one. but they also announced a new show starting Feb. 17th called Minne's Fly Girls.
This will be outside Soarin' by the control tower, Minnie and her girl group will sing songs from the 40's, 50's & 60's.

While some long standing groups have been given the heave ho, at least they are being replaced and not eliminated.

Whoa. HEy . WHoa! Wait a minute....where did you get this info! That is great! I saw the newsboys in pictures of the trolley cars but otherwise do not remember hearing any of this on this site or the Disney sites.....fantastic news all around! That is so cool. I had a feeling that there were going to be a bunch of groups around that area and that would be why the MINERS are getting the heave-ho!

oregontraveler
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Whoa. HEy . WHoa! Wait a minute....where did you get this info! That is great! I saw the newsboys in pictures of the trolley cars but otherwise do not remember hearing any of this on this site or the Disney sites.....fantastic news all around! That is so cool. I had a feeling that there were going to be a bunch of groups around that area and that would be why the MINERS are getting the heave-ho!

The new Minnie's Fly Girls debuting next month was mentioned in the MP's updates. Al Lutz had more detailed info about the other 3 groups that should debut this summer. The Daddy O's have a Facebook page asking for fans to write to DL and bring them back. (I personally think they would be a fine addition in Cars Land.) I had forgotton about the live entertainment at the Paradise Grill (perhaps because I haven't visited DLR since last January) But I suppose those groups are under the entertianment dept. as well. It all adds up. There was quite a furor when the Dapper Dans were re-cast about 5 years ago, that's just the way Disney is, part of the circle of life.

olegc
01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
not that its live music - but when Jack Sparrow was cut to add more money to the Fairy meet and greet it created a lot of whoopla too - but look at the lines to meet those characters and you could say Disney made the right business decision. they have a budget and will go after something new so something else may need to be cut. It's the way it is.

oregontraveler
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
not that its live music - but when Jack Sparrow was cut to add more money to the Fairy meet and greet it created a lot of whoopla too - but look at the lines to meet those characters and you could say Disney made the right business decision. they have a budget and will go after something new so something else may need to be cut. It's the way it is.

Well, it depends on how you look at the popularity of the Captain Jack character. I read where it was getting out of hand with the older females wanting his attention. On the other hand, Jerry Bruckheimer has the 'rights' to good 'ol Cap'n Jack.
That might have been a licensing problem there, money wise. All in all, the dumping of said Jack and creating the new Tink meet-n-greet, I actually miss Triton's Gardens, thought it was a nice diversion on the outside of TL.

houseofmouse
01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
The problem is Disney keeps getting rid of the good entertainment and keeps coming up with not so fabulous things to replace them. I saw the Mickey Dance Crew show in December and thought it was awful. No talent there whatsoever. Yet very talented men like the Daddy'O's get the boot. I am not holding my breath for the Minnie show if it is written anything like the cheesy dance show.

I also heard Jack was TOO popular to continue. Which I thought was hilarious! It's not like it was really Johnny Depp!!

dban3
02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
The problem is Disney keeps getting rid of the good entertainment and keeps coming up with not so fabulous things to replace them. I saw the Mickey Dance Crew show in December and thought it was awful. No talent there whatsoever. Yet very talented men like the Daddy'O's get the boot. I am not holding my breath for the Minnie show if it is written anything like the cheesy dance show.

I also heard Jack was TOO popular to continue. Which I thought was hilarious! It's not like it was really Johnny Depp!!

I'm speaking purely from speculation here (out of my rear end) and no nothing of the facts but I would think live musicians may have some sort of union scale wage that is considerably higher the song and dance shows that use recorded music. Billie Hills don't work cheap. Some post high-school wannabe singer/dancer with a microphone in their hand is probably MUCH cheaper than skilled live musicians.

On the Jack question- I had heard (and again I have no facts to back it up) is while Disney produced the POTC movies, the featured characters belong to producer Jerry Bruckheimer and wandering Jacks full time on the Disneyland payroll are also subject to having to pay good ol' Jerry a licensing fee. It is something Disney has chosen to do only during periods of film promotion and marketing. Makes sense to me.