PDA

View Full Version : Fried green tomato sandwich

TTFN92
01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
I was just reading the menus and saw this one at Hungry Bear. It sounds really yummy. I was just wondering what people thought of it.

MidwayManiac
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I like it. The mango jicama slaw is very unique and tasty. Definitely worth a try and if you're a sweet potato fries fan you'll like it all the more.

MPers posted a lot of fried green tomato sandwich opinions in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?164488-Hungry-Bear-Re-Opens-With-Delicious-New-Menu&highlight=hungry+bear) around and after page 3 or so.

letshavefun
01-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I have to say I loved it, it's not healthy but ranch with the sweet potato fries is yummy. When we go back this summer it is one of the things I have to get again.

bennette
01-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a post or two in the above mentioned thread. I think if you know what a fried green tomato is supposed to taste like, you won't love this sandwich.

That said, I'd probably eat it again over other menu choices, if I was stuck was at the Hungry Bear, starving. That situation has yet to present itself, however. I'd remove the fresh "heirloom" tomatoes; I'm fussy like that.

In fairness sake, I've never loved anything about the Hungry Bear but location.

letshavefun
01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Yea I'm not fussy, and really don't know what a fried green tomato sandwhich should really taste like I guess.

TTFN92
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for that link. I just read thru it and have determined that I want to try it. I'm also excited about the sweet potato fries. I'm a fan so I'm hoping theirs are good.

TTFN92
01-21-2012, 10:19 PM
remove the fresh "heirloom" tomatoes; I'm fussy like that.

In fairness sake, I've never loved anything about the Hungry Bear but location.

Why would you remove the heirloom tomatoes?
I have to agree that I've never been a fan of HB either. Hope the new menu changes that.

bennette
01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Because unless you consider unripe, mealy tomatoes "heirloom," theirs do not qualify! All they do is goop up the sandwich and there is enough going on there already. They don't add anything but volume, IMO.

I am a fan of ripe, flavorful tomatoes, regardless of heritage. They do not exist in mass quantities year round, however. Not even with Disney magic. :)

disneylandgirl
01-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I tried this a couple months ago. I've never had fried green tomatoes and had no idea what they are supposed to taste like. But I did not like the sandwich. I'm glad I tried it but its just not my thing I guess. I do love the slaw there though. And with the location and of course the casts, I eat at hb often.

adriennek
01-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I like it very much. I have it any chance I can get when I'm at the parks with my kids. :)

I order it with the sweet potato fries because there's enough slaw on the sandwich.

candles71
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
I had it last month and loved it. I am a tomato snob with fresh tomatoes and usually don't have them on my sandwiches, cause they aren't fresh from my garden, but the ones they had last month were not bad. Ie not mushy but not hard either. My friend liked hers as well. Our husbands just rolled their eyes and dug into their burgers.

THpoohbear
01-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I thought it was alright. There are many other things I'd rather eat the in parks. Primarily, my issue was with the bell peppers in the sandwich that are not listed on the menu. I do not enjoy bell peppers, and for some reason they are commonly omited from menu descriptions in restaurants and even in frozen meals. It's a pet peeve of mine! Had I known about the bell peppers, I would not have ordered it. I did my best to pick them out. I also don't enjoy sweet potato fries, but I knew that going in. That meal was a big disappointment all around. We tried the lemon cupcake and thought is was pretty gross, too. I really hope you enjoy it more than I did! I'm in the minority. I've read rave after rave about this sandwich.

dban3
01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Because unless you consider unripe, mealy tomatoes "heirloom," theirs do not qualify! All they do is goop up the sandwich and there is enough going on there already. They don't add anything but volume, IMO.

I am a fan of ripe, flavorful tomatoes, regardless of heritage. They do not exist in mass quantities year round, however. Not even with Disney magic. :)

There is an ongoing debate as to whether green tomatoes (something that Disney would have to grow in mass quantities) are un-ripen red tomatoes (which are typically used in the fried green tomato sandwiches in the south) or "heirlooms", a green variation of standard tomato. I don't know which Disney would use but since they to make the same sandwich year round, I tend to believe they are grown somewhere in hot-house facility that may not even be in this country.