PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so perhaps I didn't understand something very basic about DVC

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 07:41 AM
I am a little ticked, but will do my best to keep this from being ranty.

I thought (and apparently I was mistaken) that the total point value of a resort could not go up.

I.E. if the point-cost of a Sunday-Thursday night in Bay Lake Tower the first week of July went up 1 point, that some other night, during some other time period, in Bay Lake Tower had to go down 1 point to keep that balance.

Apparently I was mistaken?

In comparing the 2012 point chart for Bay Lake Tower to the 2013 point chart for Bay Lake Tower, there are several instances of the point cost for a night going up (29 times for those keeping score) and there are 0 nights where the cost went down.

Is it that other resorts got cheaper? Was that always the deal and I just genuinely didn't understand how it works on this fundamental level.

I am pretty steamed right now, as when we bought into Bay Lake Tower we purchased enough points for a 1 bedroom, lakeview, for 1 week, during the Adventure season (with 3 points to spare).

We are now 2 points short and kinda upset about it, but temporing that with the belief that I was just always wrong about the whole "total point total for a resort would not go up"

Thanks for listening

currence
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
I thought (and apparently I was mistaken) that the total point value of a resort could not go up.

In comparing the 2012 point chart for Bay Lake Tower to the 2013 point chart for Bay Lake Tower, there are several instances of the point cost for a night going up (29 times for those keeping score) and there are 0 nights where the cost went down.

You are not mistaken. Did you get the email that they sent out explaining the change? They recategorized several of the rooms to standard view so the cost of those rooms went down. That gave them the ability/forced them to raise the points elsewhere. It is not a noticeable change because the brochures do not list the number of rooms available in any particular category. Overall, the total number of points needed to stay at the hotel did not change. But your ability to make a reservation for the standard view increased for 2013.

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Ah I see. So some rooms that were Lakeview are no longer Lakeview and are now Standard view. To bad we can't request one of those rooms specifically. I still find it disingenuous to be honest. I mean, I didn't try to work the system, I picked a time of year, a type of room/view and bought that many points (+3 extra). Now it suddenly is not enough. The fact that I might be able to get a room that used to be Lakeview at a Standard rate quite honestly doesn't make me feel any better.

But understanding the process does make me feel a bit better. Still frustrated, but feeling less ranty. Thanks for the clear explanation. I do remember the message, but obviously I didn't read it close enough to get a true understanding of what they did.

Still pretty shady if you ask me. Though perhaps I am in the wrong feeling so....

GusMan
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Ill try to explain... and this is something of a common complaint.

And this is all for my understanding as well.... someone may have other info to share.

Each resort has a pool of DVC points associated with them. Those points are the points that the members purchase as a part of their membership.
That pool of points will never change. It is also the total number of points that are available for the resort throughout the year. Its a big math equation that matches up the point value for the room per night, per season, and by the number of days in a year.

Point allocation is done per resort. Point pools are not "shared" with other DVC resorts.

While every DVC resort is different, you have to compare apples to apples year to year as to how many days are in each "season" and what the point value of each day is. In some cases, it may seem like the point value per room goes up, but if the "seasons" are changed around in such a way where the most expensive seasons are shorter in duration, you actually have more points available for the "cheaper" seasons, even if their number of points per night appears to go up.

I will say that while I have been in your shoes before, I have seen point values vary up and down in the past and it does vary by resort. It can be an issue if you consistently vacation during the same time period every year, but may not be as big of an issue if you go at different times of the year.

As a stop-gap, you can always buy 2 extra points for the stay at $15 per point. Yes, I know its an extra cost, but it is just that - a stop gap.

(Of course, I now see that Currence helped explain... thats what I get for taking a phone call in the middle of writing this up. :) )

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
It really isn't even an issue of cost. We could afford to permanently buy 2 points if we really wanted that. It was more that, in my not understanding the email, I felt a bit blindsided and so was more angry about the principle of the thing. Now that I understand specifically what Disney did, I still am frustrated as to how it affects me directly, but understand they are playing within the rules that I signed up for :) I was more ticked because I thought they had changed the rules of the game (or that I didn't understand the rules at all). Turns out they didn't change the rules of the game, I just didn't understand the move they were making :P

Anyway, I have calmed down. Thanks for putting up with me :)

currence
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I believe the rooms went from theme park view to standard view, so an even bigger swing since theme park view rooms are the most expensive.

I can see why you would be upset, but the flip side is that if the room was mislabeled to begin with, then there were people paying extra for a view they really weren't getting. I haven't stayed at that property so I don't know how significant the problem was, but I would be really upset if I paid a significant premium for the theme park and didn't get an amazing view.

If you are only 2 points short, I believe they have an option to buy a few points per year. Or you can borrow against future years and hope that the points adjust in your favor at some point down the road.

GusMan
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Dont worry, mdrausch, the points charts will change for 2014 as well. (Most likely) Its pretty much an annual point of discussion, especially for newer members.

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Oh I have seen the points change, but always in the past, if one time of year / day of week / type of room went UP, another went DOWN. This is the first time where everything went up across the board. I didn't realize that DVC had made some Lakeview rooms into Standard rooms, thus giving them the extra points to spread across all the rooms.

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I believe the rooms went from theme park view to standard view, so an even bigger swing since theme park view rooms are the most expensive.

I can see why you would be upset, but the flip side is that if the room was mislabeled to begin with, then there were people paying extra for a view they really weren't getting. I haven't stayed at that property so I don't know how significant the problem was, but I would be really upset if I paid a significant premium for the theme park and didn't get an amazing view.

If you are only 2 points short, I believe they have an option to buy a few points per year. Or you can borrow against future years and hope that the points adjust in your favor at some point down the road.

Oh wow, Themepark view to Standard view? That would give them a lot of points to spread around. And I agree, if I paid for themepark view (which is a significantly premium) I would be ticked if the view was 90% parking lot and if I leaned out on the balcony I could see the park :)

Okaaay, I guess I am done being angry :P

mdrausch
01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Can I ask another question that isn't really related but then I don't have to spam with another thread. So let's say you have 200 points for 2012.
You roll those 200 points to 2013. So now you have 200 "2012" points and 200 "2013" points to use.
In 2013 you spend 300 points. How is that broken up? Do all "2012" points get used up first, allowing you to roll 100 "2013" points to 2014? Or do you use that use year's points up first and then any rolled points (so if you only spend 300 points, you are flushing 100 points down the drain?

Thanks

DisneyFunFamily4
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
They will use your banked points first (or as in your example 2012 points first) then you would be able to bank the 2013 points for 2014. I was told it doesn’t hurt to mention the fact that you have banked points to the CM when making reservations to make sure they pull from them first. Once you have banked the points you have to use them by the end of the use year, so if you banked 2013 points for 2014 you would have to use the banked point by the end of the year. Make sense? I hope i didn't confuse you more! it took me a while to understand all this too!

I wanted to mention we had friends who stayed at BLT in Dec. They booked a lake view room but got what appeared to be a standard view. They took pics of the view, called/emailed DVC and were refunded the difference in points.

currence
01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
You definitely can use the banked points first. I don't recall if you have to tell them to do that or if it is done automatically.

GusMan
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Not to repeat... but let me word this a different way...

- It is a best practice to used any banked points first.
- It is a best practice to specifically tell the MS CM to use banked points first.
- Do check your account at dvcmember.com afterward to make sure they used any banked points first.
- Do make sure that you bank any leftover points before the deadline for your specific use year. This can be done online, if I recall correctly.