PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Wonderland Worth It?

tankdad
01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
It's been a while since I've posted a question, but have been a regular lurker. I saw DVC Mike's post announcing DVC members would be able to purchade TiW cards without an Annual Membership. This looks great since the DDP is pricing itself out of feasability.

We are booked for a week in May which will be our only trip to WDW for the year. We plan to have a TS dinner each night, no Signature dinners, probably sharing one dessert per dinner. We will have three adults in our party. Will TiW savings more than make up for the $75 fee? Am I correct thinking only one of us needs the TiW card to get the discount for all three of us as long as we eat together?

Drince88
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
If you are going to be having 'adult' beverages, then it likely will pay for itself with 3 adults and 7 TS meals (provided all the TSs participate, which most do).

You save 20% - so to get $75 worth of savings, your pre-savings, pre-tip bill needs to be 375 for it to pay. That averages to under $18/person/meal (375/(3*7)) - which I don't think would be too much of a stretch. (Just looking at the entrees at Sanaa, which I happened to have up - all are over that mark except the vegetarian entree.)

GusMan
01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
In your case, it sounds like you can easily hit the break even point before the real savings kick in. The thing is that like anything else, it will not be the best choice for everyone.

As an example, if someone does not do a lot of TS eateries, or dont plan on spending that much in a calender year, then its probably not worth it. In that case I would just try your hand at getting DVC or AP discounts on certain meals. At the same time, it is well worth it if you plan on dining with a group of adults and everyone has a drink or two. Then its easy to exceed the break-even point and see some good savings afterward.

Its all about the math... gotta use it well to save well.

Barberella
01-08-2012, 10:44 AM
The only downside that I can see is that there will be 4 adults in your party - and depending on the relationship - it might be problematic. 'Officially', the person with the name on the TiW can get the discount for themselves and their guests, but they will only present 1 bill.

I confirmed this last month at dinner at Kouzzina's with 5 friends (and I was the only one with a TiW card). I solved the 'problem' by having the server put my dinner and the 1st round of drinks on my bill*.

Of course, there are ways around this. The server might intentionally overlook the name discrepancy on the TiW and credit card. If the 4 are husband and wife and his parents, then they would all likely have the same last name and the server would likely not challenge the credit card and TiW first name discrepancy. Or you could pay in cash.

But 1 TiW card = 1 bill.

*I like you all here at MP, but not enough to buy you a round of drinks. ;)

Drince88
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
IF you're going to be spending most/all your time together and you're in different families for budgeting purposes - you may find it helpful to do what my sisters and I do. We use Disney giftcards, and load them with the same amount of money - so start with $200/person, and reload as necessary throughtout the trip - and then use them throughout the trip to pay for all meals you eat together. This works if you're going to be eating/drinking about the same. You don't want to have too much money left over on them, but you CAN use credit cards to load them! We used to do the same thing with cash, but the Disney card method is so much easier.

It works really well when you have a really mixed group.

Mermaid
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
That's a really good idea Cathy!

tankdad
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your answers. In the course of a weekend our group is now probably going to be four adults and that makes getting the TiW even more attractive. Plus, I forgot about the adult beverages being included in the discount. I'm in!! Dining reservations are all made, got everything we wanted. The only remaining question now is when will WDW actually start selling the cards to non-AP holders, or are they doing it already?

GusMan
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I would check with Member Services to see if they are available now. Its not yet mentioned at the DVC member website. (Or, I should say that I could not find it there...)

tankdad
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
I did a best-guess for the meals we have planned, adding a dessert or two where I thought they were likely to occur, and covered the $75 TiW fee by about the 3 1/2 meal point for four people. I did not go straight for the most expensive items like I would have done on the DDP but chose meals I thought were most likely to be ordered. So for anyone else out there wondering, look the menus over and guestimate what your family might order. If our group drops back down to three, it would definitely impact the break-even point.

AVP
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
But 1 TiW card = 1 bill.Sure, but 1 bill does not = 1 form of payment.

I've used TiW at almost every meal this weekend, and every time we've given the server either a mix of cash and credit cards, or even multiple cards. We make it easier for them to process the split tender by writing the last 4 digits of each card and the amount to be charged to that card at the top of the receipt. We've never had a problem.

I've had my TiW card over a year, and will definitely renew it the visit after it expires. Given that I'm almost always here with a group, it's more than paid for itself.

AVP

Barberella
01-09-2012, 01:54 PM
^What a wonderful idea AVP! I may be putting that into practice on my March trip - Thanks!

fairestoneofall
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
What AVP said.

A couple of times I've even had the server split it up for us even though that's not how they are "supposed" to do it.

tinkaparis
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

New to this thread and looking into purchasing a TiW card.

Can I use it during any lunch or dinner sit down?

Can I use it at an adult beverage kiosk in EPCOT or do I need to be sitting eating dinner?

It sounds like it will pay off for me because I will have 2 trips this year.

GusMan
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
It is good for lunch or dinner at any of the participating table-service eateries. It is not good for adult beverages at walk-up kiosks.

tinkaparis
01-31-2012, 04:26 AM
It is good for lunch or dinner at any of the participating table-service eateries. It is not good for adult beverages at walk-up kiosks.

I think I am convinced! Thank you everyone, I do think it will work for me. I like being able to use it on adult beverages at sit down restaurants.

I'll keep you all posted during my trip reports of my savings :)

GAN
02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
For us it's a no brainer... heck, in a 7-day vacation we could spend $350 on drinks alone. At that point it's paid for and the meal discounts are a bonus.