PDA

View Full Version : WEDWAY People Mover

ScottC4746
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I noticed that WDW still has the WEDWAY People Mover, or a variation of it anyway. Any chance DL might get theirs back?

Rufus T Firefly
01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
We are all keeping our fingers crossed.

olegc
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I noticed that WDW still has the WEDWAY People Mover, or a variation of it anyway. Any chance DL might get theirs back?
not at all the way it was or the way Florida has it. State safety and operating laws, and construction regulations, prevent the old style from being implemented. It's quite a ways off - but I am sure they are planning something.

oregontraveler
01-06-2012, 02:50 AM
not at all the way it was or the way Florida has it. State safety and operating laws, and construction regulations, prevent the old style from being implemented. It's quite a ways off - but I am sure they are planning something.

that pretty much sums it up.

iceman559
01-06-2012, 05:06 AM
that pretty much sums it up.

That is does. Though, I would like to note that George Kalogridis (Disneyland Resort President) hinted in 2010 that they were working on SOME kind of plan, likely a revamped version of the old ride. So, we'll see. We could possibly be reading too far into his "hang in there" statement, however.

olegc
01-06-2012, 06:49 AM
That is does. Though, I would like to note that George Kalogridis (Disneyland Resort President) hinted in 2010 that they were working on SOME kind of plan, likely a revamped version of the old ride. So, we'll see. We could possibly be reading too far into his "hang in there" statement, however.

and, as all Disney geeks know, ideas always flow out of WDI all the time - so he wasn't lying. WDI is always working on something all the time. The thing never discussed is the financial green light. THAT's the gatekeeper.

ScottC4746
01-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Really? And yet we can still have the canoe boats with no life vests...go figure. :D

oregontraveler
01-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Common sense tells me that if the Canoes have never required lifejackets, then any new safety measures would be moot as the attraction would be 'grandfathered' into OSHA's rules. This is why when the PM track was turned into RR, the original function/design was lost forever. So... in addition to shoring up the track itself, the Imagineers have to come up with a ride vehicle that would be more enclosed than the orginal cars. Not only could you reach out and touch the walls, but people were known to get out of the vehicles and walk the track. Resulting in some serious injuries.

DwarfPlanet
01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
As a nostalgia ride alot of people want it back. But in reality why? I can remember riding during its last years there it was pretty much always empty. I know I enjoyed it and still enjoy the one at WDW, but why would WDI bring back a ride that is not always running close to capacity and was pretty much usually empty. IMHO past performance means this probably will never get a green light unless they can add something to it to bring in riders.

iceman559
01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
As a nostalgia ride alot of people want it back. But in reality why? I can remember riding during its last years there it was pretty much always empty. I know I enjoyed it and still enjoy the one at WDW, but why would WDI bring back a ride that is not always running close to capacity and was pretty much usually empty. IMHO past performance means this probably will never get a green light unless they can add something to it to bring in riders.

I beg to differ. I can't remember a time I went and people weren't constantly streaming onto the ride. Running at capacity and being in demand are two different things. Sure, there may have been an empty car here and there, but does that mean it wasn't popular? Look at HM. There are times Doom Buggies go by empty, but does that mean it's not in demand? No. It just means that the attraction has a large enough capacity and quick load/unload times (in the case of the HM, essentially none). The PeopleMover was known for being a super high-capacity attraction. As such, it could eat up large amounts of people and still not look full at all.

Common sense tells me that if the Canoes have never required lifejackets, then any new safety measures would be moot as the attraction would be 'grandfathered' into OSHA's rules. This is why when the PM track was turned into RR, the original function/design was lost forever. So... in addition to shoring up the track itself, the Imagineers have to come up with a ride vehicle that would be more enclosed than the orginal cars. Not only could you reach out and touch the walls, but people were known to get out of the vehicles and walk the track. Resulting in some serious injuries.

Precisely. If the PM had never been closed and turned into the RR, and was still operating today in mostly its original form, these new restrictions wouldn't apply to it. I'm sure if they ever "closed" the canoes officially and changed them structurally in some way or met the criteria to be considered a new attraction in some way, then there would be more safety restrictions on them as well.

BJW
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I know OSHA is pretty strict, but Gilroy Gardens, the theme park formerly called Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy, California, has a ride very similar to the Peoplemover called Sky Trail that takes guests on a tour of a greenhouse with a couple cheesy AA figures thrown in for comic relief. The ride vehicle is very similar but it does require a lapbar similar to what a rollercoaster would require, and people still consider it a comfortable ride. So, I think Disney will probably have an arrangement like this if the PM comes back.

fairestoneofall
01-12-2012, 06:56 AM
I have no idea. All I know is that I had to take a couple of spins on the people mover at MK this past weekend.