PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Holiday Bakery Now Open

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

unclewalt
01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Did not go inside to look at the detailed menu, but it was doing brisk business. And I loved the stained glass windows showing penguin waiters.

bumblebeeonarose
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Does anyone know what the bakery will be offering? Is it just baked goods, or sandwiches, etc. too?

rickosuave1987
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know what the bakery will be offering? Is it just baked goods, or sandwiches, etc. too?

Full menu was posted on Twitter earlier today:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/rickosuave1987/AiafmMmCAAEpN6V.jpg

oregontraveler
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM

According to the Disney blog: the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe will feature a new menu of sandwiches & salads in addition to your favorite muffins & coffee drinks.

bennette
01-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Grilled cheese and tomato soup? Finally, Disney makes a meal just for me!

(Currently taking bets the Holiday Salad lettuce blend contains iceburg, which is just wrong. But the menu looks nice otherwise.)

Andrew
01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Grilled cheese and tomato soup? Finally, Disney makes a meal just for me!

Same here - based on this I think I've found a new favorite.

disneyfn
01-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Half the menu is not available until 10:30 am.Damn,I wanted the quiche for breakfast.

foolishmortal
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
This will be our new haunt with the grilled cheese and Tomato soup!

ScottC4746
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Full menu was posted on Twitter earlier today:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/rickosuave1987/AiafmMmCAAEpN6V.jpg
Yumm! Quiche! My mouth waters just thinking about it!

Blacksheep Uncle
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
oh that looks good!

mkraemer
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Who knew there would be so many fans of tomato soup & grilled cheese (count me in!). I'm really eager to see this place on my next visit to the park. I'm so happy that they're making use of this space now!

Niwel
01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I think it is awesome to finally have something Mary Poppins themed at the park!

houseofmouse
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Who knew there would be so many fans of tomato soup & grilled cheese (count me in!). I'm really eager to see this place on my next visit to the park. I'm so happy that they're making use of this space now!

That's one of the first things from the menu I mentioned to my daughter! Yum, grilled cheese and tomato soup. I get so tired of park food and expensive not always tasty restaurant meals, it will be nice to try something new next year when we go.

AnotherJenny
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I got in line yesterday at 2pm, and waited 25 minutes. The line started at the bottom of the stairs and there was a wrap around outside. Inside the doors in splits into 2 identical sides, each with 2 registers. There was a CM at the front, I guess reminding people when the register was open, and then on one side Oscar was there to point you to the register a second time. It was incredibly crowded with all the people in line, the CMs directing traffic, people waiting off to the side while someone in their party ordered and then crowded around the tiny condiment stations. I tried to take pictures without getting in the way, but it was just impossible.

Anyway, crappy camera pics:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4540/imag1025.jpg
The drink menu

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9596/imag1023.jpg
There is a large double case in the center with the sandwiches and desserts

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1640/imag1024.jpg
And a smaller pastry case on the other side of each pair of registers

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/6729/imag1027.jpg
Chicken Waldorf on Brioche

I don't know why so many things need Cranberries and Craisins. The filling was pretty wet and loose and the sandwich was a little hard to eat. I noticed a lot of people having a hard time eating what I think was the Caprese (based on what looked like focaccia bread. It was basically crumbling in their hands and falling apart. I'll go back though, I want to try the Grilled Vegetable & Whole Grain Salad.

houseofmouse
01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
How was your sandwich? I love chicken salad especially with the grapes!

bennette
01-07-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know why so many things need Cranberries and Craisins.

I'm pretty sure Ocean Spray is a Disney sponsor or somthing. They had their own bog at Epcot this year at the Food and Wine Festival.

I noticed a lot of people having a hard time eating what I think was the Caprese (based on what looked like focaccia bread. It was basically crumbling in their hands and falling apart.

I REALLY don't think Italians make sandwiches on enormous hunks of focaccia. It's just silly.

leota's necklace
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
They serve Abuelita? That's pretty great. I wonder if it's served nice and frothy.

AnotherJenny
01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Ocean Spray is a Disney sponsor or somthing. They had their own bog at Epcot this year at the Food and Wine Festival.

That salad at Village Haus has raisins, cranberries and craisins. Really? You couldn't just go with one of those? It's not a $7.49 culinary masterpiece unless you have 3 varieties of dried fruit?

And about the Abuelita, I thought it was funny when I saw a sign at Rancho del Zocalo saying in honor of Three Kings' Day they were serving traditional Mexican hot chocolate. Funny because I figured it was the same product Disney has already added to the regular menu elsewhere. (I did want to try the special sweet corn tamale dessert, but I wasn't hungry and pretty much out of "budget," so I didn't. Maybe they'll do it again next year.)

ETA: Here's a pretty comprehensive review, including a pic of the Abuelita: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/06/dining-in-disneyland-first-look-the-jolly-holiday-bakery/ (I tried taking a pic of that lyric tree, but it didn't turn out. I thought it was really cool.)

bennette
01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm wondering when they will add a description of abuelita to the board!

Quiche available in the morning, according to the blog. Yay! Grab 'n' go protein breakfast!

Sadly, the grilled cheese did not get a great review but there is always room for improvement.

ScottC4746
01-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Did not go inside to look at the detailed menu, but it was doing brisk business. And I loved the stained glass windows showing penguin waiters.
Went yesterday. Very busy. My complaint is they do not have a detailed menu outside by the street like Plaza Inn has, (and the other restaurants). I heard someone complain that they stood in line 30 minutes only to find out there really was not anything there they wanted.

ScottC4746
01-08-2012, 06:10 AM
I tried to take pictures without getting in the way, but it was just impossible.

Anyway, crappy camera pics:

Great camera photos. Love the "newspaper" liner paper. Question on the coffee. Is it as good as the Blue Ribbon Bakery or is it the Nescafe junk they serve in the rest of the park?

cstephens
01-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Went yesterday. Very busy. My complaint is they do not have a detailed menu outside by the street like Plaza Inn has, (and the other restaurants). I heard someone complain that they stood in line 30 minutes only to find out there really was not anything there they wanted.

I agree that it would be better if they had a sample menu outside, but I can't be that sympathetic to someone who waits in line for 30 minutes, having no idea what they're waiting for.

danyoung
01-08-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm wondering when they will add a description of abuelita to the board!

Sorry if I missed this from elsewhere, but what is abuelita?

bennette
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Sorry if I missed this from elsewhere, but what is abuelita?

Case in point!

Mexican hot chocolate is traditionally sold in tablet form. The tablets are made of pressed chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon. Abuelita is the (wait for it) Nestle brand name for their version. Normally you chop up a tablet and warm it up with milk. If you are hard core, you will whip it all up with a specialized wooden tool called a molinillo.* Somehow I doubt Disney is doing more than steaming milk with a packet of flavored powder, though.

Plenty of folks will know what it is, but I'm not sure how many visitors from say, Ohio, will.

*Anyone want to take a bet as to whether I own a molinillo? :)

SigalTchelet
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Case in point!

Mexican hot chocolate is traditionally sold in tablet form. The tablets are made of pressed chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon. Abuelita is the (wait for it) Nestle brand name for their version. Normally you chop up a tablet and warm it up with milk. If you are hard core, you will whip it all up with a specialized wooden tool called a molinillo.* Somehow I doubt Disney is doing more than steaming milk with a packet of flavored powder, though.

Plenty of folks will know what it is, but I'm not sure how many visitors from say, Ohio, will.

*Anyone want to take a bet as to whether I own a molinillo? :)

I thought Abuelita meant grandmother? My niece calls my mom (her grandmother) this.