PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland open 24 hours for leap year.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

AnotherJenny
12-31-2011, 08:58 PM
I just read in the Washington Post the DL and MK will be open from 6am 2/29 - 6am 3/1.

I'm so excited that I booked my hotel room before I posted this, just in case anyone else likes the idea. :D

Kuzcofan
12-31-2011, 09:02 PM
heres the information:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/one-more-disney-day/?video=OneMoreDisneyDay

pixar
12-31-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a feeling attendance will actually increase after 1am on March 1. :)

oregontraveler
12-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Just got my email. WOW, a vacation a day for either DL or WDW, 5 days/4 nights. From Jan. 1 to Feb. 29.

olegc
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
just be sure to read the details. the drawings are held once per week - but based on each days entries. and the vacation has to be taken when Disney tells you.

ScottC4746
01-01-2012, 04:48 AM
I just read in the Washington Post the DL and MK will be open from 6am 2/29 - 6am 3/1.

I'm so excited that I booked my hotel room before I posted this, just in case anyone else likes the idea. :D
I read it as:
One More Disney Day

Ever feel like a day at the Magic Kingdom Park or Disneyland Park ends all too soon? This year, both Parks will let Guests experience a day that continues on through the night and into the next morning! On Leap Day, February 29, 2011, for the first time there will a bi-coastal all-night extravaganza at both of these beloved Disney Parks. Guests will be able to visit the Magic Kingdom or Disneyland Park from 6 a.m. that morning through 6 a.m. on March 1 – a day that should be long enough for even the most devoted Disney die-hards to ride, eat, shop, and laugh to their hearts' contents.

While Disneyland Park was open around the clock on one previous occasion, to celebrate the opening of Star Tours way back in 1987, this is the first time that Parks at both Resorts have stayed open 24 hours. Go ghost-hunting in the Haunted Mansion at midnight or watch the sun come up over Big Thunder Mountain – there will be time enough for all the Disney discoveries you've dreamed of (and for a nice nap when the day ends at last).

There's no special additional admission charge or special ticket for this very special event – any ticket good for one-day admission will do, including Magic Your Way one-day and multi-day theme park tickets, and annual or seasonal passes. It's Disney special thank-you to Guests, and a chance to indulge in a memory-making marathon.

And that was taken from my email I received.

oregontraveler
01-01-2012, 09:29 AM
just be sure to read the details. the drawings are held once per week - but based on each days entries. and the vacation has to be taken when Disney tells you.

True, the vacation must be taken between June 6, 2012 to June 2013. Something like that, and I believe there are select dates you can choose from.

Alos, I heard the TV spot mention selected attractions will be open overnight. Which I take to mean there is no possible reasonable way to keep everything running without maintaining & cleaning the park when its closes for the night.

Either way, it sounds like a fun promotion and I hope some Padder wins.

Seashellmama
01-01-2012, 03:41 PM
While Disneyland Park was open around the clock on one previous occasion, to celebrate the opening of Star Tours way back in 1987, this is the first time that Parks at both Resorts have stayed open 24 hours.

Huh. I don't remember the Star Tours thing, but that wasn't the first (or only) round-the-clock day at Disneyland Park. Disneyland was open for 25 hours for its 25th Birthday in 1980! I recall spending a fair amount of that 25 hours huddled in pain in the nurses station, but it felt like it barely made a dent in the time I spent at the park.

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com/2011/07/disneylands-25th-anniversary.html

oregontraveler
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Huh. I don't remember the Star Tours thing, but that wasn't the first (or only) round-the-clock day at Disneyland Park. Disneyland was open for 25 hours for its 25th Birthday in 1980! I recall spending a fair amount of that 25 hours huddled in pain in the nurses station, but it felt like it barely made a dent in the time I spent at the park.

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blogspot.com/2011/07/disneylands-25th-anniversary.html

I just came across a newspaper ad from Coos Bay, Oregon. Dated May 13, 1977

it shows the outside of Space Mtn. copy at bottom reads
"The most incredible attraction in 22 years. It could only happen at Disneyland
smaller print below
Open every day thru Sept. 18. May 22, 9am to 7pm, May 23-27, 10am to 7pm, May 28 & 29, 9am to 1am

SigalTchelet
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I
I just came across a newspaper ad from Coos Bay, Oregon. Dated May 13, 1977

it shows the outside of Space Mtn. copy at bottom reads
"The most incredible attraction in 22 years. It could only happen at Disneyland
smaller print below
Open every day thru Sept. 18. May 22, 9am to 7pm, May 23-27, 10am to 7pm, May 28 & 29, 9am to 1am
I went to Grad Night in June that year. We ran to Space Mountain and were just the 2nd group of people to get on Space. By the time we got off, the line was wrapped around upstairs, downstairs and all the way out to Main Street!

moofeet
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Wow, I can't wait to go that night. I wonder if there are any stipulations or if you can just go to Disney anytime you want within those 24 hours. Like say at 1am that morning?

BJW
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
What I'm wondering is how they will handle the nightly inspections/maintenance of the rides. Having known many people in the industry, I know there are some rides that have to have screws tightened on a nightly basis, and other things that have to be checked for safety everyday of operation. I'm guessing they'll have some type of rotation schedule where each ride closes for a set time.

oregontraveler
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
What I'm wondering is how they will handle the nightly inspections/maintenance of the rides. Having known many people in the industry, I know there are some rides that have to have screws tightened on a nightly basis, and other things that have to be checked for safety everyday of operation. I'm guessing they'll have some type of rotation schedule where each ride closes for a set time.

It would appear the marketing dept. didn't talk to the maintenaence dept. about this beforehand. The rotation idea sounds feasible, unless they close some sections off completely.

olegc
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
It would appear the marketing dept. didn't talk to the maintenaence dept. about this beforehand. The rotation idea sounds feasible, unless they close some sections off completely.

which is what "select attractions" translates to.

cstephens
01-03-2012, 06:29 PM

But would this night be that different from Grad Nites, when the park stays open all night?

missm
01-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Well this explains why hotel prices went up so much the first weekend in March. I booked Desert Inn from March 3rd to the 8th for $69the a night

Gone2Disneyland
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I have a feeling attendance will actually increase after 1am on March 1. :)

lol, I'm considering showing up just for the evening and graveyard shifts myself. Been there done that during the regular hours, so the overnight hours would be most interesting for me anyway.

cstephens
01-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I think we've lost our minds. We're planning to do the 24 hour thing, just because.

oregontraveler
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
This would make for a good Walking Dead episode. It'll be interesting to see how many people, adults and kids alike, struggling to stay awake.

It would be nice at the very end, maybe the last hour. Turn off all the music loops and be able to watch the sun come up in silence.

jananafish
01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Just to clarify -- the giveaway promo is different from the park being open 24 hours, right? Like...anyone with admission media could go to the park for the 24-hour opening?

That means I could go late in the evening after school and get on a few rides and stuff, and still be OK for class the next morning since I don't start until 9:30 on Thursdays haha

olegc
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
It would be nice at the very end, maybe the last hour. Turn off all the music loops and be able to watch the sun come up in silence.

THAT would be nice. I remember the video series their blog has - sunrise over (castle, RoA, etc.)... birds chirping, sunlight breaking,etc. kind of neat. until a kid screams "MOM - CAN I HAVE A CHURRO FOR BREAKFAST?"

olegc
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Just to clarify -- the giveaway promo is different from the park being open 24 hours, right? Like...anyone with admission media could go to the park for the 24-hour opening?

That means I could go late in the evening after school and get on a few rides and stuff, and still be OK for class the next morning since I don't start until 9:30 on Thursdays haha

you are correct. The Parks Blog mentioned that any and all admission media will be valid on that day.

The contest is to award a 5 day 4 night trip to either Disneyland or WDW.

missm
01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Well this explains why hotel prices went up so much the first weekend in March. I booked Desert Inn from March 3rd to the 8th for $69the a night

Ooops. I was typing this on my phone this morning when we hit a bump and I must have posted, thought I cancelled it. Thanks for not pointing out it was a crazy post all!

What I was trying to say is that I booked Desert Inn for $69 per night a few weeks ago and I go in and check rates every once in a while after I book, it has jumped up to $99 per night as of either Sunday or Monday night. I'm thinking they are expecting people to stay through the weekend. That's a pretty big jump in just a week or so. I told my husband that he should expect higher crowds then he is used to the 3rd and 4th for people that make a week vacation out of it. I sort of wish I would have known about it before I booked!

Big Bubba B
01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I was just wondering if theres a record for a guest being inside Disneyland. Officially.

ralfrick
01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
But would this night be that different from Grad Nites, when the park stays open all night?

Yes, because anyone can go to it.

A beintot.