PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve 2011 at Disneyland: Details, Details, Details!

AVP
12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Heading to Disneyland to celebrate New Year's Eve? You're not alone, so make the most of your holiday with some helpful information forwarded to me by a friendly cast member:

Park Hours:

Disneyland - 8am to 2am, with Magic Morning from 7am.
Disney California Adventure - 10am to 1am.

Countdown Locations and entertainment:

Disneyland

Sleeping Beauty Castle - DJ and Disneyland Ambassadors from 9-11:45, plus midnight countdown
Tomorrowland Terrace - Suburban Legends at 8:10pm; 10pm; 11pm; 11:45pm; 1am
Rivers of America - "Random Acts of Disney" between Fantasmic performances.
"it's a small world" mall - Top 40s DJ

Disney California Adventure

ElecTRONica - 6pm to 1am, with countdown and fireworks at Midnight.
World of Color/Paradise Pier - Fireworks and fountain display at Midnight; World of Color at 12:08

PLUS, midnight countdown from Disneyland will be played over speakers throughout Downtown Disney.

Additional New Year's Eve entertainment:

Disneyland

French Market - Piano player at 7pm; 8pm; 10pm; 11pm
Carnation Plaza Gardens - Swing Party featuring Stompy Jones at 7:30pm; 9pm; 10pm; 11pm and 12:15am

Disney California Adventure

Paradise Pier Gardens - Tim Gill All Star Band plus "various boardwalk sideshow acts and entertainment" from 6pm to Midnight.

Fireworks:

Believe in Holiday Magic (Disneyland) - 8:45
New Year's Eve Fantasy in the Sky (Disneyland) - Midnight
World of Color Countdown to Midnight (DCA) - Midnight
ElecTRONica 2012 (DCA) - Midnight

World of Color Countdown to Midnight:

A separate Fastpass machine will issue tickets for the World of Color Countdown to Midnight show - no need to wait until tickets for the earlier shows are distributed before you can get a ticket for the midnight show.

Hats and Horn distribution: (begins at 6pm)

Festival Arena in Disneyland
Parade gate across from Silly Symphony Swings in DCA

Parking and Transportation:

No planned tram service interruptions to the Mickey and Friends structure, but expect heavy crowds after both fireworks shows.
Downtown Disney parking lot (Stitch and Lilo) will CLOSE at 2pm, and reopen at 5pm with a flat fee of $20 per vehicle. Visitors who get a validation from the theater or participating restaurant can receive a refund from the valet booth.
The Monorail will be restricted to Resort Hotel guests only beginning at 9pm.

Area / attraction closures:

Toontown closes at 8pm, and will not reopen.
Paradise Pier attractions will reopen between the 2nd and 3rd World of Color show. California Screamin' will not reopen after the Midnight show.
The Monorail will be restricted to Resort Hotel guests only beginning at 9pm.

I'll be there, braving the crowds and the cold to ring in the New Year at Disneyland for the first time in years. I hope you have a safe and memorable holiday, no matter where you spend it.

See you next year!

Adrienne

mimsy
12-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the valuable details. I haven't been to Disneyland on NYE in years but it sounds like a blast!

fairestoneofall
12-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Sounds like so much fun. We have a sitter for the night, no plans and APs. I'm so tempted....

cvcgolf
12-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Swing Dancing at Carnation Plaza.. Everybody hit the floor!

cstephens
12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll be there, braving the crowds and the cold to ring in the New Year at Disneyland for the first time in years.

Oh, it's not so bad. We do it every year! ;)

I'd say avoid the horns distribution area right when they start giving them out. Everyone blows their horn continuously as loud as they can when they first get it. Owwwww.

And, cel coverage is almost non-existent right at midnight as everyone is texting everyone else.

We may make it into the park before midnight, but if not, we're figuring on going in afterward.

Have fun!

with_5
12-31-2011, 09:08 AM
We are here having a blast! We have done DCA twice, but this is our first time in DL. Any advice on when and where to be by Small World? That's where the kids want to ring in the New Year.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.810635,-117.921235

bennette
12-31-2011, 11:02 AM
Just directed off Disney Way to Pumbaa lot at noon. Never been here before!

moofeet
12-31-2011, 11:07 AM
I'll Be there Later!!

tea4two
12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
We're here and looking forward to Napa Rose and then swing dancing!

JunJunM3
12-31-2011, 04:04 PM
We're here taking in the festivities and with midnight WoC FP's in hand. Wishing you all a great New Year.

oregontraveler
12-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Just directed off Disney Way to Pumbaa lot at noon. Never been here before!

Pumbaa lot is great. And a shorter walk back after midnight compared to M&F. Have fun.

BlkPearlCptn
12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
New Years Eve is the only holiday I haven't done at the park. Maybe it's time to look into it for next year. Everybody have a fun and great New Years!!!!

Mermaid
12-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Was the One Republic performance just shown on ABC pre-taped? The stage was the same as the Christmas Parade...

olegc
12-31-2011, 08:49 PM
yes - they taped it that same day as the XMas taping, but in the evening of course.

tea4two
12-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Did anyone have any difficulty getting into DL this evening? We had gotten our handstamps earlier in the afternoon, then had gone to dinner. When we returned to DL around 8:30 PM, CMs were setting up ropes and guiding people back away from the entrance gates. We managed to find a CM at the rope and asked what was going on. He told us that the gates were closed to all but those with handstamps. We showed him ours, he let us through, and right after we went through, someone from management told him not to let anyone else in for a while. The line at the entrance was a bit long, but we had no trouble getting in.

cstephens
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Pumbaa lot is great. And a shorter walk back after midnight compared to M&F. Have fun.

And they have a shuttle to the Pumbaa lot now too, though trying to find that particular shuttle is apparently quite difficult.

We had a lovely time at the resort. We arrived late afternoon and found a pretty good vantage point in Town Square to watch the Christmas parade. We meandered around Main Street for a little while afterward and then poked around World of Disney and DTD for a little while before heading to meet friends for dinner at our regular New Year's Eve place. We were there until shortly after midnight, and then we went to DCA because we could - it was open until 1am! We made it through the gates around 12:45 and just had time to go on the Little Mermaid ride before the park closed. We then headed across the way to Disneyland and were on a mission to ride Dumbo - it's an old tradition to ride Dumbo after midnight on Fourth of July and/or New Year's Eve, if possible, and call a particular friend while on the ride. We then got persuaded by CMs to go on Casey Jr., and then we rode Haunted Mansion and Pirates. But then, it was after 2am, so we looked around Main Street for a short while before heading out.

moofeet
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
The area entering and exiting Tomorrowland is no fun, especially after the midnight countdown. It was such a mess (which included lots of yelling) (..oh and patience if you wanted to get in or out). Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to put all those obstacles in the way there (Rock thingees & Astro Orbitor, I'm looking at you) needs to seriously get their head(s) checked. Worst idea ever.

danyoung
01-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I completely agree with you, moofeet. It would be enough of a bottleneck to have 2 popular attractions (Star Tours and Buzz) right there at the entrance. But when you further clog it up with the jets (which should absolutely be back up on top of the pylon!) and the stupid rocks, well, it's a logistical nightmare, even if it's not New Year's Eve!