PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks suspended indefinitely [now operational]

stan4d_steph
12-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I've seen reports that fireworks at Disneyland are suspended indefinitely. No reason is given, although a tweet from someone "inside" claims the reason is neither technical nor weather related.

Malcon10t
12-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I've seen reports that fireworks at Disneyland are suspended indefinitely. No reason is given, although a tweet from someone "inside" claims the reason is neither technical nor weather related.Yesterday, several of us heard the announcements that "Due to unforeseen technical difficulties" the firewrks were canceled for the evening. I arrived at the park at 430pm, and they announced it the first time I was there after the flag retreat.

cstephens
12-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I wonder if something happened to the launchers or the launch system.

jananafish
12-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Some time around sunset I thought I saw one green firework go off and wondered if something was wrong with the system *shrug*
I was really glad we opted to find a great spot for F! than to sit in front of the castle for fireworks.

Sosai X
12-24-2011, 08:34 PM
There was a malfunction with the launch system. One of the tubes received power by accident and discharged its shell prematurely. The fireworks display has been suspended until representatives from OSHA can come onsite and inspect the system to ensure it's safe to operate.

phantomdilbert
12-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Fwiw I was chatting with a cm who acknowledged an issue with fireworks past couple nights but said they have permission to do it tonight since its Christmas. Said possible some parts of show could be missing.

JunJunM3
12-25-2011, 09:24 AM
How unfortunate. I hope no one was hurt when the shell fired prematurely. Hopefully they get the problem fixed and OSHA can come soon like right after Xmas weekend-and hopefully before New Years' Weekend-to check it out and give it the ok.

BlkPearlCptn
12-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Fwiw I was chatting with a cm who acknowledged an issue with fireworks past couple nights but said they have permission to do it tonight since its Christmas. Said possible some parts of show could be missing.

According to City Hall there will be no fireworks tonight (Christmas). They said they might be back on the 28th.

Malcon10t
12-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Fireworks went off as scheduled. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But glad I got to see them once during our trip in case they don't go off again. Hopefully, OSHA clears them...

ETA - What we did notice, they shut down IASW completely! The whole area around IASW was cleared. No one was allowed in the mall area.

olegc
12-26-2011, 07:39 AM
ETA - What we did notice, they shut down IASW completely! The whole area around IASW was cleared. No one was allowed in the mall area.

hmmm - this makes me wonder if they were still using the same launcher (but were required to use additional safety precautions) or they used an alternate launcher and had no time to test it - so they were required to add additional precautions...

AVP
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
ETA - What we did notice, they shut down IASW completely! The whole area around IASW was cleared. No one was allowed in the mall area.I don't know that these were related. How windy was it last night? There are various "phases" of clearance around IASW, and we've seen the show a number of times where we haven't been allowed to get closer than the Fantasy Faire gift shop because of prevailing winds blowing south.

A Disneyland spokesperson has denied rumors posted elsewhere online that a cast member was injured when the "unforeseen issue" happened. I'm waiting for an update about the fireworks schedule for the rest of the year, including New Year's Eve.

AVP

Malcon10t
12-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't know that these were related. How windy was it last night? There are various "phases" of clearance around IASW, and we've seen the show a number of times where we haven't been allowed to get closer than the Fantasy Faire gift shop because of prevailing winds blowing south. Not sure about high winds, there were no ground winds. When we watched from the area of the Matterhorn, and the smoke appeared to be staying in place, not moving in either direction. It was one of those things where it just "felt" like it was related.

As far as an injury, I would think if there was an injury, we would have heard about it. My guess is it was "simply" a close call.

Malcon10t
12-27-2011, 09:02 PM
A Disneyland spokesperson has denied rumors posted elsewhere online that a cast member was injured when the "unforeseen issue" happened. OCRegister is reporting an injury (http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/12/27/disneyland-fireworks-temporarily-stopped/106276/).

olegc
12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
OCRegister is reporting an injury (http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/12/27/disneyland-fireworks-temporarily-stopped/106276/).

interesting in the article that Cal OSHA says "it's not up to us when they shoot off their fireworks" yet some of the CMs or spokepersons make it seem like they have to wait for Cal OSHA. The truth, of course, is somewhere in the middle - along with a team of lawyers.

And Disney stating there was no injury, but the paper stating one, is another example of you say tomato, I say toMAHto...

Malcon10t
12-28-2011, 08:48 PM
No fireworks on the 28th. "Technical difficulties" was the response.

stan4d_steph
12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Another article in the OC Register today (http://www.ocregister.com/news/safety-333374-disneyland-fireworks.html).

JunJunM3
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
So if they are still not confident and they decide to cancel the NYE fireworks over SB castle, is it safe to assume that the only NYE fireworks at DLR will be over at DCA with their Fountains and Fireworks event? I'm guessing DCA has its' own fireworks launch system.

Malcon10t
12-29-2011, 04:07 PM
They were announcing no fireworks about noon today. (Maybe eariler, but that was when I heard it.)

Rumor has it they are now just shooting for NYE, but that is also an unknown....

Teddi
12-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Ugh. Was really hoping to catch them tomorrow.... oh well. Hope it IS pulled off on NYE, otherwise I'm sure folks will be very very upset.

CMHusband
12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
I just got word that the fireworks show is back on tonight!!!

CMHusband
12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I just got word that they are ON TONIGHT!

Malcon10t
12-30-2011, 07:53 PM
OK, I am at the hotel, and they are going off, but what is weird to me is they sound CONSIDERABLY louder than in the past. Maybe it is the way the wond is blowing, thus the sound is traveling this way more, but wow! it is loud.

Blacksheep Uncle
12-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm always surprised how much louder it is outside the park...

tea4two
12-31-2011, 10:40 PM
We were at Carnation Gardens tonight for the 8:45 PM fireworks, but the fog was so thick that only the fireworks shot from the castle were clearly visible. The crowd around us were really disappointed that none of the fireworks shot from behind Toontown could be seen. We could hear them just fine, but couldn't see anything, only a slight glow in the sky. Right now there is thick murk outside our hotel balcony. We can just see the cars in the parking lot below us and the hotel across the lot, but can't see DL or DCA at all. So... we'll find out if anything can be seen at midnight! Happy New Year to everyone at MP!

nickjandrews
01-03-2012, 08:20 AM
We were there and were disappointed to not see the fireworks on Thursday-Saturday. Fireworks are one of the greatest inventions of all time and should be used every day! Safety is a serious issue with bigger shells like these and I hope Disney is on top of any problems. That said, the three days we had in the parks 21-23rd were great, except for that horrific wind on Thursday!

I still think the company needs to work on improving maintenance which has lapsed over the years. After being at WDW in June and DL last week, things seem to be improving, but it's not as good as when I was a kid or even when I worked at Magic Kingdom in 1992 in the WDW College Program. Matterhorn had numerous down periods as did Big Thunder, although those may have been guest-caused safety shutdowns on the train. A lot of the ride animation on Big Thunder is not working any more, such as the water chute in the que area or the big rocks in the mine tunnel.