PDA

View Full Version : [DCA] Flips Into Extreme Gear With The Launch Of “x Games Xperience” On July 1st

AVP
06-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Source: Disney Press Release:

DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE FLIPS INTO EXTREME GEAR
WITH THE LAUNCH OF “X GAMES XPERIENCE” ON JULY 1ST

X Games Star Athletes Mike Metzger, Jamie Bestwick, Bob Burnquist and Fabiola da Silva Among Those Scheduled to Appear

WHAT: The official launch and opening ceremony of X Games Xperience at Disney’s California Adventure, featuring star athletes from this summer’s 41-day-long event. The opening ceremony will be highlighted by Moto X star Mike Metzger executing a tremendous stunt on a full-sized bike over Disney’s California Adventure’s Golden Gate Bridge. Additionally, a vert ramp show at Half Pipe Bay will showcase BMX, skateboard and in-line skating stunts and a Moto X exhibition will take place in the park’s new X Arena, built specifically for this event.

WHO: X Games Xperience athletes scheduled to appear include: Mike Metzger (Moto X), Jamie Bestwick (BMX), Bob Burnquist (Skateboard), Matt Lindenmuth (In-line Skating), Fabiola da Silva (In-line Skating), John Parker (BMX), Jim Burgess (BMX), Mike Crum (Skateboard), Chris Livingston (Skateboard), Marc Englehart (In-line Skating), Ronnie Renner (Moto X), Chuck Carothers (Moto X), Myles Richmond (Moto X), Robert Distler (Moto X) and Jimmie McGuire (Moto X).

WHEN: Tuesday, July 1, 2003
Opening Ceremony Begins: 9:00 a.m.

WHERE: Disney’s California Adventure
Anaheim, CA

WHAT ELSE: X Games Xperience at Disney’s California Adventure will run from July 1 to August 10, just prior to the ninth annual X Games competition in Los Angeles, August 14-18 at the Staples Center and the Los Angeles Coliseum. The park plans 41 days of related events, activities, merchandise and promotions capturing the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the fast growing sports.

Moderator's Note: DCA opens at 10:00 am on Tuesday. The general public will not be able to attend the opening ceremony.

dshimel
06-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Again, Disney copies what others have done.

At one time, Disney had custom rides and unique shows. Now they have off-the-shelf rides, cement slab and pipe rail queues, and shows that mimic what others have been doing for a decade.

I suppose lack of Disney quality could be a dead horse if it were a thing of the past. However, lack of quality is still a daily occurance for Disney, and DCA still sucks. X-Games show is a move in the wrong direction. A low quality band-aid that will only further erode the brand name in the mind of customers.

This might get a few dozen more teens into DCA, and may help ESPN ratings by a point or two, but that is not a good trade off for the long term damage that this type of crud will do to the Disney name. Once, Disney was equated with "the best". Now, it is equated with "anything for a fast buck".

DisneyFan25863
06-30-2003, 05:07 PM
The general public won't even be able to see it? Grrr :mad:

AVP
06-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
The general public won't even be able to see it? Grrr :mad:

Well, call Disney to double check me, but the event is at 9, the park opens at 10.... I'm thinking, no.

AVP

Not Afraid
06-30-2003, 07:08 PM
I miss the Village People.:(

HBTiggerFan
06-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I miss the Village People.:(

And the Bangles :(

MonorailMan
06-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Love that tacky X. ;)

scottmen
06-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Do they let people in early like they do at Disneyland. I can't imagine not doing this "stunt" for everyone. I for one am going to be there just in case.

Scott

Darkbeer
07-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Good Day Live is showing the jump live..... (shortly)

Channel 11 in LA, Channel 6 in San Diego

DisneyFan25863
07-01-2003, 08:59 AM
I missed it :(

So, how was it?

stagedoorjonny
07-01-2003, 02:38 PM
I had heard about the jump but I didn't know it would be at 9:00 I got to the gate at 9:15 I was surprised at the line in front of DCA. I went into disneyland. I guess the people that where there saw it through the gate.

AVP
07-01-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm not going to get the column about this done until tomorrow, so you can read all about it Thursday.

But, until then, here is a photo (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/DCA/Special_Events/X_Games/Metzger-PyroJump-070103-AVP.jpg) of the last jump. (He did it 5 times)

And here is a REALLY funny photo (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/DCA/Special_Events/X_Games/BearBite-AVP.jpg) just for laughs.

AVP

disNeytEen
07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
If i visit during July 22 to 26 will anything be closed to do the event. Even at Disneyland

MonorailMan
07-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by AVP

But, until then, here is a photo (http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/DCA/Special_Events/X_Games/Metzger-PyroJump-070103-AVP.jpg) of the last jump. (He did it 5 times)

Love the two Monorail cones in the corner. It just looks, majestic. ;)

Oh, and I think there's some guy jumping something too. :D

mrfantasmic
07-01-2003, 07:42 PM
I just saw a commercial on TV for the X Perience... they do a good job covering up that it's not as graceful as they make it appear. In fact, they must have superimposed the footage on to a DCA background.

DisneyFan25863
07-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by disNeytEen
If i visit during July 22 to 26 will anything be closed to do the event. Even at Disneyland

no.

Also, great photo's, AVP :fez:

scottmen
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
That was the coolest thing I had seen there in a long time. It sucked having to watch it through the gates but at least I was able to see it. The show they put on was really great too.

Did anyone who went notice the gentle who was hanging out with Ms. Harris most of the afternoon. He had on a PotC Curse of the Black Pearl hat. I couldn't tell who it was.

Scott.

P.S. I am jealous that you got to see the bridge jump from the other side AVP.

jerjer2005
07-01-2003, 10:20 PM
I was totally bummed that i missed todays event but ill be seeing the show this sunday so its all good :-)

AVP
07-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by scottmen
Did anyone who went notice the gentle who was hanging out with Ms. Harris most of the afternoon. He had on a PotC Curse of the Black Pearl hat. I couldn't tell who it was.
That was Jay Rasulo.

AVP

MonorailMan
07-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by AVP
That was Jay Rasulo.

Our hero! :D

Techie7
07-02-2003, 09:59 AM
If you want to read about the opening events and see some photos or video check out this link. (http://laughingplace.com/News-ID507230.asp) Laughing Place now has coverage of the event up on the main page.

DisneyFan25863
07-02-2003, 01:32 PM
MAPO must have been going off like crazy when he was doing that :fez: