PDA

View Full Version : My Hojo review!

Pages : [1] 2

Christiii
06-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Just got back from two different trips this week to the Hojo...it was awesome!! I usually only stay at the Disneyland hotel, and Ive been trying to find a more inexpensive alternative that was not a dive. Ive tried the Candy Cane..and it was just ok..and too expensive I thought..even at the $89 rate I got.
When I was at the Candy Cane..we moved to the Disneyland hotel, and I couldnt wait to get out of there..but at the Hojo I had no desire to move..and thats saying something!! I got an amazing rate at the Hojo with my Entertaiment card! I must admit..I was a bit wary when I drove up..since it looks older and is right next to the freeway...Checked in to bldg 1, in a home office room..and was really happy!! The room really reminded me of the rooms at the Disneyland hotel...same size and layout of the bigger rooms with the futon. My room had a balcony, with a great view of the fireworks, a microwave, coffee and fridge. Really really quiet..not noise from the freeway or neighbors. They had two bottles of water and trail mix in the room everyday which was nice, and the gift shop has anything else you need!! The staff is really helpful...I have decided this is my new home away from home!! The room is about twice the size of the rooms at the Candy Cane! I hope to be going again in about three weeks :-)The big pool is being renovated, but their other pool is a great size and really pretty!! It is tucked away, and surrounded by pretty landscaping..like a little oasis. The Candy Cane pool is ok but surrounded by a parking lot...yuck!
The first trip (Sun - Wed) we used the shuttle...which I really dont like..its $3 a day..per person, and for some reason out G bus was always the latest and the slowest...they said they were training people..greeaaat..I wouldnt mind if it was for free..but at $3 a day per person..I want that bus there..darn it~ :fez:
Our next trip..Fri - Sun..we walked it and it was no problemo...about an 8 minute walk...you probablly dont want to do that when its raining or 105, but when we were there it was fine. I really wish they would have a deal for mulitple days or something for the bus..they price realy adds up the more people you have. Each hotel sets their own rate I think.
They dont have a restaurant there..but Mimis is almost on property..and wonderful!!
My review for the Hojo...A+++

AVP
06-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Christiii
My review for the Hojo...A+++

Thanks for the review, Christiii! Please make sure to submit it to the MousePlanet Restaurant and Hotel Reviews System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi), so other people can find it too!

AVP

Christiii
06-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Ill go do that now...what section do I put it under..I couldnt find any reviews for it there....

dshimel
06-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I stayed at HoJo in early June. It was very nice. Kind of old looking, but very well kept. Quiet! They were ripping out the pool and replacing it. It was loud outside, but quite inside the room.

I didn't touch the bottled water or trail mix, afraid it was an upcharge item. Is it really complimentary?

The walk wasn't much longer than the walk from DLH.

I got $69 a night by emailing a room request to
william.simpson@hojoanaheim.com.

Christiii
06-30-2003, 09:38 AM
oops..never mind..found it and posted it..thanks!!:D

hefferdude
06-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Checked in to bldg 1, in a home office room..and was really happy!!

Oh no!:eek: Same weekend?
We had reserved two Home Office rooms for Sun-Tue. Even when arriving around 1:30 PM we had been bumped. The manager worked pretty hard to re-assign us to comparable rooms with a nice porch and view we were quite happy with so it worked out just fine in the end. We're looking forward to the front pool being completed by our next trip in Aug.
:cool:

OBTW -The walk is about 11 minutes to the front gate DL/DCA. NTB.

Go Halos!!!!!!!:fez:

Christiii
06-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Hey we loved your room!! thank you!:D Just kidding..boy you must walk slooow...actually it was like 8 minutes to the front gate where the tram picks you up..we started counting from there, since we would have to walk to the tram anyway...Im told they have two kinds of nicer rooms...the home office, which is larger and has a micro wave..and some standard rooms with skylights..which Im told are great for the fireworks! Ive never seen one of those tho...I was really surprised at how happy I was with that hotel..Ive stayed at lots of different hotels there, and each time I wished I was at the Disneyland Hotel, and usually end up moving over to there..I didnt once feel like I would rather be there...and the rooms are much less than half the price!!:fez:

Christiii
06-30-2003, 10:56 AM
p.s. I just book a home office room for July 25th - 27th...cant wait!!

Rangnar
06-30-2003, 11:46 AM
I am happy to hear of the continued good word about Hojo's. Based on previous reports, I booked our Oct vacation there (I plan early, but it is THE yearly event and a long trip).

Did you say that the kiddy pool is not so great? I (will) have a 4 and 1.5 year olds who love to swim in tow.

I hope the place lives up to my expectations. I get very tired of trying/worrying about different hotels and would just like to settle on a 'home base' for visits.

Christiii
06-30-2003, 12:51 PM
I dont really think they call it a kiddie pool..its just their second pool..and its really pretty!! I didnt like the one at the Candy Cane, since it is surrounded by the parking lot...the smaller pool at the hojo is wonderful!! The main pool is being remodeled and will be done by the time you are there, and the plans for that look really really beautiful!! I think they are putting quite a lot of thought and detail into the new one..at least it looks that way...They are going to have a turtle squirty slide thing I think..just saw drawing but it looked really fun for little kids...ok probably me too..haha!!

dsnylndmom
06-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Rangnar, the big pool rennovations are going to include a kiddie water play area if I'm not mistaken. So your little ones should have a blast!!

Tina
:)

Rangnar
06-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info, we'll need more to do now that they are closing rides left and right at the start of Oct - and the boys are real waterdogs.

DSNYDad
06-30-2003, 08:54 PM
You know I think I saw you and your mother going into Disneyland on the Sunday you were there. We got to the park about 12:30 and I thought I recognized you and your mother from the picture on one of your first posts. You were wearing a white sweater. My family and I were right behind you as you were going in. I was going to say hi but by the time we got through gate you must have been on your way:)

Christiii
07-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Which sunday?/ If it was just the past one...We didnt go...we just headed home:p sooo.......was she really reaally cute?? if so, then it HAD to be me:D

hefferdude
07-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Hey we loved your room!! thank you! Just kidding..boy you must walk slooow...actually it was like 8 minutes
:) Sokay. We had a nice room with a balcony overlooking the quiet pool. Xcept for the smoker on the balcony below us. phew stink!:mad:

Yeah, 11 minutes, we call it mosey with an attitude...:D

dshimel
07-01-2003, 08:29 AM
We were leaving DCA and heading to DTD when people I was with decided they wanted thier jackets from the room. No sense all of us treking to the room and back, so I offered to get them and hook up at ESPN Zone.

I made it from DCA gate to the room, then back to ESPN Zone in 14 minutes. Needed a shower after that.

Christiii
07-01-2003, 09:10 AM
ok..now thatsgot to be some kinda record...they should have you in the X games!!:D

DSNYDad
07-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Nope Sunday before. I didn't want to go last Sunday since I thought the premier mess would be too much.

stinkerbell
07-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Phew! Christiii, I'm glad you liked the HoJo as much as I did! I would have felt awful if you weren't thoroughly pleased, as I recommended the absolute HECK out of it. :D (I still do!)

I can't remember what you paid with your Entertainment discount. I paid $35 a night.

The pool was great! My kids really loved it, and they're ages 8, 5, and 2 and LOVE the water. I can't wait to stay there again when the other pool is finished!

It's a gorgeous property. It's the only Disney-area hotel that I REALLY liked and I think I've stayed at most of the more popular area hotels now. ;)

And I have to second the 8 minute walk. Even with a stubby-legged five year, a stroller and a panting 8 year old in tow.........

Christiii
07-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Wow!! I paid $45 with my Entertainment card!! how the heck did you get $35?? I thought $45 was good...sheeesh!! Ive booked it for three weeks from now, and still got the $45 rate..hmmmmmm:rolleyes: Yep, it is really great!! I sure wish I was there right now!!:D

bubsy
07-03-2003, 09:21 AM
What is this entertainment card?

We have Hojo resservations for the 1st weekend in Dec. for $69. It would be nice to pay less.

stinkerbell
07-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Christiii
Wow!! I paid $45 with my Entertainment card!! how the heck did you get $35?? I thought $45 was good...sheeesh!! Ive booked it for three weeks from now, and still got the $45 rate..hmmmmmm:rolleyes: Yep, it is really great!! I sure wish I was there right now!!:D Gosh, why did I even post last night? I was wrong on all the threads I posted to.......yes, it was $45 a night. Sorry. You're so right. :rolleyes: :D

bubsy: try www.entertainment.com to buy an entertainment coupon book. I believe they're still $20. You get coupons and discounts (lots of good buy a meal, get a meal free deals) in your local area, but using the card that comes with the book, you can book many hotels for 1/2 off the rack rate for hotel rooms.

I would say that using my coupon book, I have saved in the neighborhood of $500 already, with the hotel savings, and the restaurant and activities discounts in the book. I use a coupon a week, easily.

Rangnar
07-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if this is the same Entertainment benny that comes with the Disney Club, or is it a separate system?

Thanks

stinkerbell
07-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Rangnar
Does anyone know if this is the same Entertainment benny that comes with the Disney Club, or is it a separate system?

Thanks It's a separate deal. Go to www.entertainment.com and look at how to do the hotel deals.......

I can't recommend the coupon book enough. I've used mine a lot. :)

kisroo
07-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Not actually one to contradict my dear friend, Stink, but......
With the Disney club card you do get the same benefits as the Entertainment book on hotels. It says so right in your little club card intro packet. If you look on the back of your Disney club card, you'll even see the "entertainment" logo...In the "Disney Club Travel America at HalfPrice" pamphlet that came with your card, you'll see all the things you'd get a discount on, including hotels and dining. Remember, though~the Disney Club is only going through Dec 2003. After that, unless they Disney does something similar, the Entertainment book will be your best bet.

Also remember (and I know several people have mentioned this), each Entertainment book is only good through Nov. of that yr. So, the book I have now (and the one on "sale" at their website) is only good until Nov. After that you'll have to buy the 2004 book. They run Nov-Nov for some reason...
:)
~kisroo