PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Sacramento

brentm77
06-30-2003, 07:32 AM
My family and I will be moving to Sacramento next month. We currently live in Salt Lake City and have APs, so we can visit a few times a year.

Does anyone live in Sacramento and drive to Disneyland often? I am wondering about how long it takes. I have heard many different answeres. I used mapquest for an estimate, but I find that it is ofen inaccurate.

Thanks,
Brent

silence
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
I think it all depends on how fast you are willing to drive. ;)

We drove in May on a Sunday. We left Sac around 6:30 and stopped 3 times (once for gas, once for breakfast, once to change the baby at a rest stop) and pulled into our hotel parking lot at 2:35. However, we hit bumper to bumper traffic, dead stopped on the freeway which added about 40 min. to our commute when we got into the LA area. It took forever to go those last 10-15 miles.

On the way home, I think we made it in 6 1/2- 7 hours with the same number of stops. It all depends on who is driving our vehicle.

LibraryGirl
06-30-2003, 07:51 AM
My brother lives in Sacramento and I live in Manteca (about an hour south from Sacramento). It takes me about 6-6/12 hours to drive to Anaheim. This is with a little bit of traffic in L.A. and a couple of bathroom stops.

dnyduck
06-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Usually when we go, we leave at about 5:30 - 6:00 in the morning and pull in to the hotel between 1:00-1:30. Of course that's usually when my honey is driving. He insists that he doesn't speed....and for the sake of a happy trip, I agree with him. ;)

If I am driving, we get there closer to 2:00 or 2:30....depending on how often I need to stretch my legs. As far as how many stops we make when Kevin is driving, only the necessary ones....2 or 3 max (no large drinks for me when he is driving) :eek:

Our trip next month will be interesting since we will be going for the first time with our daughters (6 and 9). They can't usually handle the short trip to the North Bay from Sacramento without wanting to stop 10 times. We are considering leaving even earlier so that they are asleep for about 1/2 the trip. I will let you know at the end of July how long it took since we should be avoiding most "rush hour" traffic.

Christiii
06-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Hey there!
I live in Lodi, which is 30 minutes south of Sac...we just went to Disneyland twice last week!! :D
we make the trip in 5.5 hours, with one gas stop..UNLESS you hit the 5:00 traffic in LA..which usually starts around 3...it took us 7 hours on Fri..since we hit that:eek:
Make sure you leave Sac early morning....ou should have no problems with traffic then...I waould also take I5..not 99..it is a much more boring drive..with not many towns to stop in..but much less traffic!!
I went last Sun - Wed, then Fri - Sun, and Im going again in three weeks..so it must not be tooo bad a drive :~D

Matterhorn Fan
06-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Enjoy being able to leave early early in the AM while you still can. Come winter, the fog in the central valley will prevent you from going anywhere until 10-ish. (OK, it won't prevent you, but it will prevent you from seeing anything, which makes 99 really dangerous.)

hefferdude
06-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Couple of things to help avoid traffic.
Alternate routes.
Consider getting on the the 210 E from the I5 then to the 57S
( diamond lanes !! :D ) then exit east at Ball or Katella toward DLR. The 57 is great since rush hour traffic generally is heaviest going south in the morning and north in the afternoon.;)

jrsharp21
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
I make the trip from Roseville about 6 times a year. Roseville is about 10 miles outside of Sacramento. We usually make it in 6 to 6.5 hours.

Our trick is we stop at the same town for gas and food every time. Everyone knows where we are stopping and plans their "activities" around that.

Kimi_Coconuts
06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
We make the trip with 3 kids, rest stops and lunch on the way in Buttonwillow (our standard stop) in 6.5-7 hrs. We leave super early 5 am and we're there before noon. We travel on a Sunday almost every time and there aren't traffic problems that day.

dsnylndmom
06-30-2003, 08:09 PM
We live in Stockton and it's takes us anywhere from 5.5 hours to 7 hours depending on traffic.

When we went in May we left on a Sunday at 9am and got there in exactly 6 hours with like 4 quick stops, on I5. When we came home it took us about 6.5 maybe a little more with 2 stops, one quick and one lunch, and stopping for an accident(a good 20/25 minutes)on 99.

In April it took us almost 7 hours(don't remember the # of stops but we hit bad traffic in L.A.)on I5, and then between 6.5 to 7 hours the way home with 2 quick stops and one 45 minute stop on 99.

Tina

BELLEH5
07-01-2003, 10:49 PM
I live in North Sacramento, and since My friends and I have AP's
We(or by myself) head to LA once every 2 months. It depends on traffic and what time u leave usually about 5.5-7 hours. I always leave in the middle of the night which takes me about 5 hours, and I never hit traffic! There are 2 main Freeways to get there.
I-5 South or Hwy 99 s. I only stop once for Food, bathroom and gas.