PDA

View Full Version : POTC premiere not an unmitigated disaster?

Pages : [1] 2

Kuzcotopia
06-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Sarcasm mode enabled:

WHAT??!!? No complaint line out city hall and up mainstreet?!?!

Guests not screaming their lungs out because they got something like 17 hours of two theme parks for the price of one today?

Folks not setting fire to the Sunwheel because they were FORCED into California Adventure when they weren't allowed to climb the treehouse?

Hot coffee and earplugs not necessary?

People actually HAPPY to see movie stars?!!?

WHAT WILL the naysayers write about?!!?

Sarcasm mode off:

I thought this would be a disaster too. But it looks like Disney PULLED IT OFF!! MegaKUDOS!

They went out of their way to go TWO or THREE steps farther to please guests than they needed to, and it SHOWED!

They did it right.

AVP
06-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
WHAT WILL the naysayers write about?!!?

Wait 9 hours, and you'll see.

AVP
- naysayer pro temp

jerjer2005
06-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Sarcasm mode enabled:

I thought this would be a disaster too. But it looks like Disney PULLED IT OFF!! MegaKUDOS!

They went out of their way to go TWO or THREE steps farther to please guests than they needed to, and it SHOWED!

They did it right.

Disney executed this event very well, this is probably an example for future events like this at the park... are we thinking a haunted mansion premier???????

DisneyFan25863
06-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Wait 9 hours, and you'll see.

AVP
- naysayer pro temp

Refresh.....Refresh......Refresh......Refresh

AVP
06-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Refresh.....Refresh......Refresh......Refresh
It was a good event. I will give Disneyland 100% marks, full credit, whatever for making the best of the situation.

Judging from guest and fan reaction, the red carpet up Main Street may have turned out to be a good thing. I was personally amazed by the number of people we interviewed who came to Disneyland - heck, who flew to Disneyland - just for this event.

*I* still do not think that the Rivers of America should have been the venue for the screening. *I* still do not think that major parts of Disneyland should have been closed or that Fantasmic should have been shuttered for this event. I completely understand that *I* may be in the minority.

If I had my way, I would have loved to see them do the red carpet up Main Street, but hold the actual screening in a tent in the Pumbaa parking lot. I mean, if they can put an IMAX screen in a tent, (which they did while they were building the new one off the 405), they can put a regular screen in a tent.

I just don't think I like this trend. Small movie premieres in DCA, the Castle closed for a wedding, large movie premieres in Disneyland - what next? I'm always worried about slippery slopes with this company.

But, again, that's me. And yes, Disneyland did a tremendous job in handling the event. We interviewed lots of people, and we heard complaints, but we heard so many more compliments. I'll admit, I was surprised. The single most upset person we saw all night - and I mean weeping, beyond consolation upset - was a girl who didn't get to see Orlando Bloom up close. All of the irate people at City Hall combined ddn't hold a candle to this girl.

Oh- and you can read the columns now - we published a little early tonight. :D

AVP

Kuzcotopia
06-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Great article Adrienne!

DisneyFan25863
06-29-2003, 11:04 PM
3 new pieces all about the parks in one day. What more can I ask for? :fez:

Great stuff :)

DivaPrincess
06-29-2003, 11:11 PM
Yes! Excellent articles! I'm so jealous - did you have a press pass? It's like I was there! Except, I'll have to wait for Entertainment Tonight to see what went on after the red carpet.

I was glad to hear it was handled so well.

Just one question. Their was one caption referring to the actor that portrayed the "Bo'sun". Isn't it usually spelled boatswain?

Sorry, just being picky!

Darkbeer
06-29-2003, 11:17 PM
You want negative...

Some tourists vexed by closure (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=45828&section=LOCAL&subsection=LOCAL&year=2003&month=6&day=29) - Orange County Register, 6/29/03

Al Lutz: Disneyland's Premiere came at a cost to Regular Visitors (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al062803a.htm) - MiceAge.com, 6/28/03

And I still think it was "Bad Show", especially for the visiting guests. For AP folks, it was something new and exciting, but it still caused MAJOR disruptions in the park!!!

See AVP's remarks......:cool:

Polar33
06-30-2003, 02:10 AM
Lol, Kuzcotopia...thanks I needed that.

I too expected a near riot to happen on Saturday. I am very pleased to see that it wasn't the disaster everyone expected. Infact, after reading todays articles I am glad to see that a lot of guests didn't seam to be too bothered by the event. Isn't it great when everything goes right? :)

AVP
06-30-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by DivaPrincess
Just one question. Their was one caption referring to the actor that portrayed the "Bo'sun". Isn't it usually spelled boatswain?

It is, but we triple checked this - that's actually the character's name.

AVP

AVP
06-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Great article Adrienne!
Thanks, but give credit to Shana. I just shot the photos.

AVP

Gemini Cricket
06-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by AVP
I just don't think I like this trend. Small movie premieres in DCA, the Castle closed for a wedding, large movie premieres in Disneyland - what next? I'm always worried about slippery slopes with this company.

Slippery slope? I'd say it's more like a luge.

I agree with AVP on this one. I have a feeling more and more events like this one will be commonplace.

The part that gets *me* even more irritated is the idea that the company is trying to give the impression that they're celebrating the attraction and the park with this film. They don't give a dang about their ride nor the park. (I mean, the place is falling apart ie. Tomorrowland, there hasn't been an E-ticket ride built since 'Indy' and it's getting extremely expensive to spend even one day there.) They're trying to cash in on the attraction's popularity because they have nothing creative to say any more in their films. They have to strip mine their old ideas, films and attractions to maintain their image. It's sad.

Doodle Duck
06-30-2003, 06:50 AM
The list of red carpet 'stars' that you put up AVP is absolutely hilarious! People wated for this bunch? hahaha.
The ususal z list of worn out suspects (except for the few Stars of the movie that is). Very funny...thanks for the morning chuckle.

There was a more stellar batch at the Beverly Garland Celeb. Show this weekend seliing their autograph photos!

:D :D

stitcher
06-30-2003, 07:02 AM
I have to agree that they probably could have erected a "portable cinema" somewehere else on Disney property. However, given the circumstances that were present, I also say that things were handled very well. My only obeservations about the actual day that could have been improved were that they could have given better notice, and also to better explain the closure schedule to guests, rather than just a small portion on the map made just for that day.

I heard from many Guest Relations Castmembers positioned at the "service stations", that much of the complaints that showed up were from those that understood that they were being kicked out promptly at 6:00 and could not see the red carpet walk. Though once they were told that much of the park would remain open until 9:00, many calmed down and enjoyed the rest of their day.

unoriginal
06-30-2003, 07:33 AM
I feel that Disney really had no control over the crowds on Saturday. The general feeling I get is that there were a lot of people that just didn't show up due to all the negative press surrounding this event. What would have happened if the park had actually been at capacity instead of half full, 60%?

This might happen if (when?) they have the premiere for Haunted Mansion. People may say, "Hey, Pirates wasn't that bad. Let's go for the day and look around." At that point I feel that Disney will actually have to work to keep the crows happy and moving. This weekend doesn't seem like it was nearly as bad as it could have been.

Gemini Cricket
06-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by DoodleDuck(A.E)
The list of red carpet 'stars' that you put up AVP is absolutely hilarious! People wated for this bunch? hahaha.
The ususal z list of worn out suspects (except for the few Stars of the movie that is).
Lea Thompson, Corbin Bernsen and Marcel the Monkey. WooHoo! :D

Not Afraid
06-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Lea Thompson, Corbin Bernsen and Marcel the Monkey. WooHoo! :D

Not to mention Cloris Leachman!!!!! Now, THAT'S Stardom!

(BTW, she also attended the Oscar party I managed, scary, scary presence.)

Doodle Duck
06-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Let's not cast aspersions upon little Marcel...at least he has a CURRENT project worthy of notice. :-)

Niwel
06-30-2003, 09:29 AM
What do you mean JUST? AVP rocks so much that the folks from OCTV were thisclose to hugging her at the end of the event. :D

Originally posted by AVP
Thanks, but give credit to Shana. I just shot the photos.

AVP

cemeinke
06-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Before the event I thought everything hinged upon how well Disney communicated up front with their guests, and how they treated the folks that showed up and didn't know.

Being there at the day of the event, I have to say Disney did a great job. Most of the folks there seemed excited to participate in the star hoopla - It justs buys into the whole Hollywood mythos of Southern California and makes for great stories back home.

I really only heard one complaint that day, and it echoed some of the problems I experienced. Namely the CM deployed in great force, knew everything about their 50' stretch of Disneyland, but little else about what was happening elsewhere. I really appreciated the CM's who appologised when they reached the end of their personal knowledge. But I cursed the CM's who made stuff up to keep us moving to the right - "The stores on this side of Main Street are closed," - No the stores are just empty becasue all the CMs that work there are trying to catch a glimpse of Johnny Depp.

Anyway, I think they pulled it off and I'm glad they did. Perhaps now they can start thinking about what kind of a spectacle they can create for the 50th. (Or come up with a great movie idea for Tomorrowland ;) )

Christiii
06-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Well it was good and it was bad..I was there for both the set up and the premiere, and I have to say that the premiere was handled really well...everyone was excited, and the out of town guests really did get more for their money if they wanted see see celebrities and how Entertainment Production worked. It was really fun and exciting for them! However, the set up..Monday - Friday was a pain..there was no excitement in the air and everyone on their best behavior like Sat. During the week load in, it was just a lot of ugly scaffolding, really crowded walkways..lots of yelling 'stay to the right' by the irritated and hot castmembers. No Fantasmic, no Columbia, no Island, no NOS. I work in Entertainment Production, so I know the behind the scences stuff is pretty ugly and a pain to load in. No one is supposed to see all that..so if you just went on Sat it was great!! I was just sorry for all the out of town travelers that came during the week and were stuck here, missing out on a lot that Disneyland has to offer..it was kind of like the guests were in the way of the Load In.
Saturday gets an A, but the rest of the week a D in my opinion. The load on from Sunday to Tues is probablly going to be just as bad. I know a lot of people are saying that there was nothing closed down and no real problems there...but there was and were. If you go all the time, than yeah, just avoid NOS, but if this is your first trip from Kansas in 15 years..it really sucks to have that much of the park down, and not know a head of time..I really felt for those kinds of people!!
Just my humble two cents!!

donatello3000
06-30-2003, 08:07 PM
It was alright... I didn't see any angry guests. Just angry CMs, which in turn annoyed me. I understand their situations and how they would feel to work an event like that... I wouldn't wanna be standing there in the heat and directing people where to go. Still, a few CMs just need to learn how to direct their anger at something else.
What made me forget about it was our Jungle Cruise skipper (I think his name was David... that's what my friend told me). after he said "Oh, yeah..." the four of us said, "Oh, right!" like Quagmire from Family Guy, and then the Family Guy jokes started. the other guests on the boat were kinda clueless as to why he kept reciting lines and making references to FG during the course (he didn't go that far off into making it unenjoyable to them though), but it was at least fun for the four of us and him.
i stayed tat DLR from saturday through monday (today) and it wasn't all that bad.

Someone You Dont Know
06-30-2003, 11:48 PM
I doubt they'll have the Haunted Mansion premiere at Disneyland. It'd be kinda awkward having a movie about the Haunted Mansion while the Haunted Mansion is the Haunted Mansion Holiday. Every press shot of the Mansion would basically be an advertisement for The Nightmare Before Christmas. Of course, there's nothing wrong with advertising The Nightmare Before Christmas...

TheMur
07-01-2003, 03:23 PM
The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is what did the Resort pay for and what did Walt Disney Productions and Brukheimer's production pay for.

I have a feeling that there was probably quite a bit of DL maintenance and other items paid out of someone else's budget. If that is the case - the event was even better in my book!

The Mur