PDA

View Full Version : Flag of Israel in IASW?

Pages : [1] 2

Leap for Joy
06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi All,
A friend of mine says she'll never go on It's a Small World because the flag of Israel is not included. Is this true?
:) Melinda

dasrock
06-29-2003, 09:54 PM
I bet she's an adult!
It's Disneyland..................

jerjer2005
06-29-2003, 10:00 PM
well it doesnt sound like somthing a child would say lol...

The ride does not represent many areas of the world due to limited space. Im sure disney did not intentionally pass up any opertunity to add Isreal to its theming.

Kuzcotopia
06-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Here's something we can test.

IS the flag of Israel not included? That sounds hard to believe. Why wouldn't it? They are a member of the United Nations, and recognized by the United States.

My feeling is, the flag is probably there somewhere, and your friend didn't see it. My guess is, she didn't actually go and test it, she was TOLD that it wasn't there, as an urban legend. It's probably false.

Even if it isn't there, it's not a political statement. There also isn't an Israeli flag in my house, but I'm not anti Israel either.

Cynthia Harris was recently awarded the JNF Tree of Life Award "as a symbol of life for the land of Israel and the land around us. " The ceremony was held at the Disneyland Resort as a fundraiser for the alleviation of water shortages in Israel. They raised millions of dollars for this cause.

Disneyland is not anti-Israel.

I think your friend needs to understand politics a bit better, and realize that the cause of Israel is not served by boycotting ONE RIDE at Disneyland. Big deal, she rides Splash instead. I'm SURE that makes a statement that the powers that be can hear.

:rolleyes:

cemeinke
06-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Ya know, I can't remember seeing any flags of any nations in IASW, rather dolls representing different cultures wearing traditional dress. If anyone has something to complain about it's probably Canada represented by that goofy buck-toothed mountie.

HBTiggerFan
06-29-2003, 11:32 PM
They have Shalom written in Hebrew in the ride. There are no flags of any countries in the ride.

I almost think this thread was started to cause some sort of trouble or pro-Isreal/anti-Isreal debate. I mean look at the wording.

Ghoulish Delight
06-30-2003, 12:11 AM
I will confirm that Hebrew is included in the final scene with postcards from around the world stating "Goodbye" in various languages.

Leap for Joy
06-30-2003, 07:54 AM
LOL! I didn't start this thread to cause a hot debate, I really wanted to know! I've only been on IASW twice, and I couldn't remember if there even were flags. I simply repeated what was said to me, because I knew that I'd be able to get an accurate answer here!
:p

Niwel
06-30-2003, 08:21 AM
No flags in DL. Shalom IS on one of the signs, but Israel is not represented by any dolls.

HOWEVER .... WDW does have Israel represented by two dolls dancing under a chuppah (wedding canopy) -- I was so excited when I saw it I took four pictures!

Not sure the reason for the difference. Some say it was because Pepsi was a sponsor and sold only to Arab countries (Israel is a Coke country) and didn't want to anger clients ... I do hope DL adds it one day -- there is room.

Gemini Cricket
06-30-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
If anyone has something to complain about it's probably Canada represented by that goofy buck-toothed mountie.
Yeah, he is goofy. Isn't his head in two pieces too? Horrible. :D

HBTiggerFan
06-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Leap for Joy,
I'm so sorry. I really shouldn't post after midnight. :embarrassed:

Originally posted by Niwel
Not sure the reason for the difference. Some say it was because Pepsi was a sponsor and sold only to Arab countries (Israel is a Coke country) and didn't want to anger clients ... I do hope DL adds it one day -- there is room.

Here (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/israel.asp) is a story about Coke and Pepsi and Isreal from Snopes.

Bill Catherall
06-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Dang! I forgot to ask Ghoulish Delight to show me his impression of a Canadian. ;)

dgdisney
06-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Now everyone has something to look for next time they ride!

Years ago I took a friend from New Zealand to DL - her first time in the states. She really wanted to go on IASW - hearing that all countries were represented. I didn't want to burst her bubble but I couldn't remember anything from New Zealand.

Surprise - there is a native Maori (sp?) playing a drum and a kiwi bird - and she i-spied it right away. Of course now I know where it is but I never noticed it before that ride with my friend.

So - maybe there are Israelis hidden somewhere too!:)

Leap for Joy
06-30-2003, 09:50 AM
No worries HBTF! And thanks for the link. That's an interesting article.

yeo_foxe
06-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by dgdisney
Now everyone has something to look for next time they ride!

Years ago I took a friend from New Zealand to DL - her first time in the states. She really wanted to go on IASW - hearing that all countries were represented. I didn't want to burst her bubble but I couldn't remember anything from New Zealand.

Surprise - there is a native Maori (sp?) playing a drum and a kiwi bird - and she i-spied it right away. Of course now I know where it is but I never noticed it before that ride with my friend.

So - maybe there are Israelis hidden somewhere too!:)

There is also one doll from the Phillipines to the left of the mermaids. Every time I went on it with my neice she'd say "Look, There's mommy!!!"

TP2000
06-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Leap for Joy
Hi All,
A friend of mine says she'll never go on It's a Small World because the flag of Israel is not included. Is this true?

I love that! Someone actually trying to make some sort of political statement because a highly politicized country doesn't have their flag displayed inside a theme park ride that doesn't have ANY FLAGS OF ANY COUNTRIES on display.

It's just little dolls dressed in their native garb wiggling around and singing a cute song. There's not much more to it than that. Even the American flag, the "host country" if you will, doesn't have a flag on display. Heck, the only mention of America is the cowboy and Indian on the podium next to the French can-can girls in the Grand Finale'.

Now that we have deemed It's A Small World culturally safe and politically correct for Israeli's, will your friend now go on the ride Leap for Joy? Or is it still going to be off limits because there are Arab, Islamic, Budhist and Muslim cultures represented by little dancing dolls? Just wondering.

Leap for Joy
06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
She was relieved to hear that Shalom was written in Hebrew with the other postcards at the end, and glad to know about the representation at WDW.

In answer to the question about her age, she is 15 and devout. This topic came up in a conversation among her friends at their Hebrew school, and she shared it with me when I mentioned how excited I am about my upcoming trip. It is important to her to do the right thing at all times, which can mean forgoing something like a ride on IASW. She is aware that the "powers that be" will not know that she skipped the ride. Doing the right thing doesn't have to be validated by anyone outside of yourself.

She's not trying to make a political statement, but does always try to be culturally sensitive, as do I. Thanks for the information everyone!

tabacco
06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
She's not trying to make a political statement, ...

Hmm...

Leap for Joy
06-30-2003, 06:18 PM
I should also add that those who talk of its exclusion believe that it was intentional, as a result of the sponsorship of the attraction. The article HBTF posted provides a good background on that issue.

mriverej6
06-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by yeo_foxe
There is also one doll from the Phillipines to the left of the mermaids. Every time I went on it with my neice she'd say "Look, There's mommy!!!"

I know which one your talking about. Its the one that is standing all alone right? hahaha, my mom and my friends would always say that one is the Filipino person of ISAW. So i guess we all see one character that symbolizes our home nation, we dont need a flag to truly show that, I think it is more fun to find that one character that resembles your homeland the best.

Kuzcotopia
07-01-2003, 12:50 PM
I should also add that those who talk of its exclusion believe that it was intentional, as a result of the sponsorship of the attraction. The article HBTF posted provides a good background on that issue.

But that was in the 1960's. 40 years later, it's not the case. Pepsi hasn't been a sponsor for that ride in decades. It was Bank of America in the 80's and most recently Mattel Toys.

Coca-Cola is the official Soft Drink of Disneyland, and has been for at least 20 years.

Your friend is boycotting events that occured way before she was born, and are not occuring now, and have been rectified.

If she is continuing a boycott, she is hurting a company that has helped Israel with charitable fundraising that has saved lives.

I say we boycot your friend, since she is the one hurting israel!

Ghoulish Delight
07-01-2003, 01:13 PM
It is important to her to do the right thing at all times, Which is wonderful, and she's perfectly justified in doing so. HOWEVER, if she were my friend, this is what I would tell her. Taking this instance as an example, if doing the right thing is so important to her, then she should decide for herself what the right thing is based on her own knowledge, rather than relying on the heresay of others.

disNeytEen
07-01-2003, 03:11 PM
And to think we are all ****ed off at a 15 year old girl for her opinion. What we'll we do next

Ghoulish Delight
07-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by disNeytEen
And to think we are all ****ed off at a 15 year old girl for her opinion. What we'll we do next Who's angry? This is just a discussion going on about a difference of opinion.

Leap for Joy
07-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Thank you disNeytEen. I am saddened by the negative feel this thread has taken. It was simply a request for information. That request has been met. Let's all move along please.