PDA

View Full Version : Crowds on July 4th?

sdsualum
06-29-2003, 10:58 AM
I am an annual Passholder and you may think I am crazy. But I am considering coming to DL on the 4th. Mainly cause I live in the desert and it is hot. But, will they close the park when the crowds get too big. Traditionally, what time do they busy enough to close the park?

I don't really care about the crowds and the rides, I just think it would be fun to be at DL on the 4th of July. After all my son only wants to ride Casey Jr., the DL train, and the Monorail.

jerjer2005
06-29-2003, 11:15 AM
They wont get crowded enough to close the park... they will pack in the people as close together as they can... they will probably be most crowded between 2pm and the time that the first parade ends.

HBTiggerFan
06-29-2003, 11:28 AM
All you may get to ride is Casey Jr., the Monorail and the train.

The park is insanely crowded on the July 4th. Insanely.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-01-2003, 12:17 AM
I also say that it will be insanely crowded.

When it does get crowded to the point that they actually stop letting people in, it's an absolute nightmare. I'm talking wall-to-wall people through Adventureland and along the ROA. It's like rats in a cage that start biting each other's heads off.

So it's not like closing the gates is going to make your life any easier. I'd advise against going on the 4th, unless you have a lot of patience (and we APers don't have much!).

10krbell
07-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Let me add to the insanely crowded train of thought. You are better off to Stay Away.

Let me put this into perspective...the one 4th of July I have spent there (working) it took me about 20 minutes to work my way from Carnation Gardens to the backstage entrance next to First Aid on Main Street! And this was at 5pm!

Disneygirl327
07-01-2003, 11:44 AM
I went last year on the 4 of july and i seriously thought i was going to choke! they "overstuffed" the park! You could barely walk, but i cant only complain some pluses: they had extra fireworks at the end of Believe and i got to see Kobe Bryant! so there were some good things! All in all i would be going this year as well but change of plans im off to San Diego instead!:D

awinner
07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
we went last year...we will go again this year...after the fireworks last year, they closed the entrance to adventure & frontier land for 20 minutes, they made people go towards the exit...we just stood there and pushed our way thru the crowds.

jerjer2005
07-01-2003, 10:01 PM
well i can now officially say i will be gladly skipping 4th of july ill be in the park sunday the 6th but i think ill be happy at home on the 4th

dsnyredhead
07-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Someone might correct me but I believe that DL has closed the gates before when it got overly crowded. I don't know if they would do that on July 4th. Expect "wall to wall" people before they do that though. In the past I believe if they had to close the gates they would reopen them a few hours later.

keschy
07-02-2003, 02:00 PM
I am hoping to go on sunday the 6th, do you think it will be super crowded on that day, too since it's a holiday weekend? Usually I have had a socal pass so it wasn't an option but this year we bought the premiums :) I have no experience with the summer holiday crowds so I'm wondering what to expect on that sunday...

Germboy
07-03-2003, 05:24 AM
There are two REALLY insane times to go to DL: the 4th of July and New Years Eve...BUT to me, it is well worth putting up with the crowds. I've been going every year, and although the July 4th fireworks show used to be much more spectacular (IMHO), it is still worthwhile.

If you go, I wouldn't plan to ride more than 2 or 3 rides. Plan your time around people-watching on a shady bench, shopping, or spending time in areas that are not too crowded (and air-conditioned this year--I think it's supposed to be hot!) Overall, if you expect crowds in advance, it is tolerable...

The big draw for me is it is one of the few times when DL changes their fireworks show. I'm always right there with video camera in hand and I cherish the video I get. There's also something about being with all those people celebrating that just can't be beat.

Not sure about the following Sunday...can't remember how it was from years past.

Have fun if you go! Take your sunscreen!!!

CM925
07-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I have worked through about half a dozen July 4ths, and it is one of the busiest days we have. New Year's Eve is the only one that comes close, with Memorial Day weekend third.

To correct some of you, there have been about four instances in Disneyland history when the gates have been closed; the last one in recent memory was fall of 1996 -- that summer Indiana Jones opened, and The Main Street Electrical Parade was in it's farewell season.

There are maximum attendance numbers for both parks that ensure safety.

Since July 4th is a Friday this year, it will be a little busier than usual most likely. I agree that 12-2 is a busy time, as well as right around 8:00 to closing, especially on Main Street. The most desolate areas would be Critter Country and the top parts of Frontierland, but you're bound to not see the fireworks as well as other areas. If you're in Tomorrowland, you will be stuck there as parts of Fantasyland and Toontown are closed for fireworks fallout.

If you do visit, the best thing to do is get a 2 day Flexpass and a hotel room -- that way when it gets too crowded, you can run away to the hotels and get a well deserved rest. But I know that's not a reality for many people.

Have a good time! I'll definitely see you there.

tiggerandtink
07-03-2003, 11:59 PM
I've been twice on the 4th of July and both times it was crowded. On one visit they even made an announcement that there had been a record-setting crowd that day. However, as crowded as it was we were able to ride everything we wanted to, a few more than once. The best thing about DL on the 4th is the feeling you get standing in the twilight with thousands of strangers singing the national anthem together and watching the fireworks. It is hard to be in a more 'American' place than Disneyland.

Germboy
07-04-2003, 03:22 AM
LOL I just responded in another thread about this very thing. Unless all my dreams come true, there won't be any more singing of the National Anthem at the park during the 4th. And anything military during the fireworks? Forget it!

I really miss those days. (By the way, if I'm proven wrong tonight, and the park returns to its outstanding 20-minute patriotic fireworks show...I'll write standards on the blackboard for the next week):D