PDA

View Full Version : DLR Standards are Up to Par, CMs are Lovely People, & Lost ‘n Found is the Best Ever

Pages : [1] 2

MidwayManiac
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Not judging but there seems to be a number of threads lately dedicated to lamenting the collapse of Disneyland standards and cleanliness and friendliness from among the cast members. This thread is for the counter-perspective. Granted, you can get a snapshot of a surly CM or filthy bathroom or restaurant if you happen to be there at the wrong time and place. But as someone who is in the parks regularly I have to say those threads are not a consistent representation of the parks and shouldn’t be taken as such.

CMs are generally outstanding. Bathrooms and restaurants, relative to their counterparts at other venues, are immaculate. Sorry if you had a bad experience at DLR, but let’s dedicate this thread to all the CMs who make it the happiest. Place. On earth. Share stories.

MidwayManiac
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I’ll start. My son lost his cap in/near Man Hat ‘n Beach back next to the Midway Games in DCA. Several CMs stopped what they were doing to help us look. One in particular (Monica, I believe) searched at length under and around things. When the search was exhausted, she came to me and explained “Here at Disneyland Resort we have a program called ‘No Strings Attached’ which allows us to replace lost and stolen items free of charge to resort guests. So shop around, pick any hat in the store, and it’s on us.” When I picked my jaw up off the ground I told her I appreciated the offer but that we lost it, we’d pay to replace it. She continued “If your son’s head is cold we don’t want him walking around without a cap.” Very thoughtful, but it wasn’t quite that cold and a knit cap was more a luxury than necessity this night, I told her. She assured the offer stands should we change our mind.

Further, the CMs at Lost ‘n Found were equally helpful. They joked with the kids, gave them DLR stickers, explained to me the claiming process and paperwork and how/when to call on our item’s status. I left there with every confidence that if the item could be found, they’d find and return it. They told me if/when the item is found, it’s mailed out same day.

Four days later, the cap arrived in the mail.

currence
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
We lost a stuffed Kiwi Bird at Captain EO. Even though we went back only one or two cycles after it went missing, it was no longer in the theater. As far as I can tell, it was never turned in. If it was, it was not cataloged as a kiwi bird and it never came back to us. But the person at lost and found offered our son a new stuffed platypus. (How is it that people know what a platypus looks like but not a Kiwi bird?) He named it Matterhorn and it is still relatively well loved. It looked like a low-level type carnival prize and couldn't have cost very much. But that was irrelevant to a kid who was heartbroken over losing a treasured friend and was being offered a new friend as an act of kindness. We now have a rule that no animals/toys leave the car without being labeled but have fortunately yet to test whether this will increase the chance of an item being turned in/returned to us.

rustymick
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
My son lost his Sorcerer Mickey hat in DCA. We searched for it--neither CM helped us at the boardwalk games and then went to lost and found and reported it. We weren't offered anything (honestly, we didn't expect it--we'd never heard that they do this) and it never was sent to us.

He just doesn't leave anything laying around anymore.....lesson learned for him, I guess.

I'm glad things worked out for others, though.

Malcon10t
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Let's see, my son lost his cell phone on the Matterhorn. Before he knew it was gone, they called me (they say they call the numbers marked Mom first, followed by home.) He lost a QuikSilver ball cap, reported it missing, it came in the mail about a week later. My mom lost her cell phone, they sent it home. My daughter lost her glasses, they were never found.

We take service dogs in training to the park. We frequently will have a CM ask if they could get the dog some water. We had the first aid nurse go to the Plaza Inn to get peanut butter when a dog got gum in her fur.

While we do on occasion run into a grumpy CM, more often we get the friendly, upbeat, helpful CMs.

adriennek
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I went today. It was cold. It was wet. Pooh was very unpopulated. When we got to the front of the ride, the loading CM struck up a conversation with me and my son and I told him why we were visiting today. Voluntarily, without my prompting, the CM enthusiastically pronounced, "YOU ARE THE GREATEST MOM, EVER! Oh my gosh! My mom never did anything that cool for me!" and then he looked at my son, who was beaming with happiness, and told him "You are so lucky! You totally need to thank your mom!"

I also had a lovely interaction today at Coke Corner. (I really like those travel mugs.) At the end I apologized for being such a dork and the CM told me, with a big smile "No, not at all! Don't apologize. You're NOT a dork!"

Those are only two of my CM stories from today. I also had at least three others that I can think of but I'll stop there. For now.

CMs today were outside working in cold miserable weather and they were cheerful and friendly! Two Thumbs Way Up.

Signed,
The Greatest Mom EVER. (But really, only one CM said that so I'm more unbiased about the others...)

currence
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I have lost things as a grownup and never been offered a consolation prize. I have gone by myself to lost and found for things my kids lost and come away empty handed. But when I took a visibly upset small child (4 at the time, I think) the cast member did appear to have a stash of stuffed animals that she could offer.

I left designer sunglasses on a ride ages ago and wondered if I would ever get them back. I did. It probably helped that they were prescription.

Mal's story about her phone reminds me of a lost phone we had a Disneyland, though cast members were not involved. My friend dropped her phone, probably because it started ringing and vibrated itself off the stroller. Someone found and answered the phone, and explained to the caller that the phone was lost. The caller called my friend's boyfriend, who called my husband, who was able to call the phone and meet up with the person who had found it, all within just a few minutes. My friend realized it was missing very quickly after it was dropped and was trying to retrace her steps looking for it while this was going on. She found my husband and was astonished to learn that not only did he know it was missing, it had been found, and he was on his way to pick it up. It did a lot to restore our faith in humanity.

I think part of the "problem" with Disney CMs is that the bar is set so high. we expect near perfection and while they usually rise to the challenge, every once in a while a cast member falls short. And it is those shortcomings that are more memorable than the bulk of the time when they are much more pleasant than the general population.

I personally try to match my expectations with the quality of the location, and I have generally high expectations of Disney. I remember eating at a steakhouse once and the quality was sub-standard. I called over a manager and explained my issues. And then I told him "if this was Denny's, I probably would have no complaints. But this isn't Denny's, this is [steakhouse] and I have higher expectations from your staff." The same is true of Disney. I have high expectations. Fortunately, they are usually met. I think some of the things people complain about wouldn't cause them to bat an eye if we were talking about other Southern California theme parks.

tea4two
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
We also have had numerous positive experiences with CMs. Now, whenever we have an exceptional interaction (i.e. beyond the standard politeness and helpfulness), we make sure to get the CM's name, location, and time (and any other details, like the town/country listed on the badge or a physical description) and to stop by City Hall to put in a compliment card for them. It has become a really fun thing to do -- the CMs at City Hall light up when you say you want to compliment someone. :)

MidwayManiac
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Now let me offer this about the restrooms. Perhaps they’re not all as immaculate as the OP indicated (some are some aren’t). More often than not I see a CM (or two or more) cleaning so the resort makes a conscious effort to maintain them. That said, some of them are simply inherently dirty all the time due to traffic volume and size of the restroom. A lot of the more old school restrooms in the park are small with no room for expansion and are located in the most heavily trafficked areas. Some examples: the restrooms between City Hall & the Fire Station, the one in New Orleans Sq., the one between The Plaza Inn and Star Tours, Adventureland restrooms, Space Mountain restrooms, Bug’s Land restrooms, Condor Flats. All the cleaning in the world won’t make these restrooms clean for long. It’s like fighting a bonfire with a spray bottle. I visit these restrooms only as a last resort and know what I’m getting into.

If possible I visit the off-the-beaten-path restrooms that are large and/or not heavily trafficked. Here are the best ones: Hungry Bear, between Innoventions and Autopia, between Flynn’s and Hyperion, Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.

And these ones are just OK: between Ariels and GRR (kinda next to Embaradero Gifts), between Big Thunder Trail and FL, between Vynilmations and Disney Playhouse, the King and Queen restrooms behind Alice, Toontown, behind King Triton’s Carousel.

It helps to pick your spots. If you only visit the restrooms with a ton of foot traffic, it’s plausible they’re filthy occasionally.

monkeygirl
12-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I very seldom encounter a grumpy or unfriendly employee at Disneyland or DCA. But, I rarely complain unless it is really bad. I too am more likely to stop and report the good rather than the bad, unless it is really bad. I am also the type that if in the restrooms, and see something wrong, I usually do what I can to take care of the issue - such as using my paper towel to wipe up water on the counter. I think in all the years that I have gone to Disneyland, I have made complaints twice. To me Disneyland is a place to go and relax. Granted I do tend to try to go on less busy days, as my job is dealing with the public in a different So Cal theme park.

MammaSilva
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
On our last trip to the parks in October we encountered so many above and beyond CM's that it reminded me why I'm so willing to put all our vacation/disposible income towards our trips to the parks. We met Irvin who made it possible for us to ride in the Lilly Belle, we met Mike who was watching as my daughter and friends got off of Indy and were SO excited and had such fun that he offered to let them go back and ride again without the wait. On other trips we've had CM's who offered us a second ride thru the Haunted Mansion, on Pooh and a few other attractions. We have had excellent interactions with some of the food service CM's, the janitorial CM's ...all of the departments actually.

ShelbyH
12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Actually the best restroom in the park IMO is the one way back in Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. Almost nobody knows about it, so yep, the lack of traffic keeps it nice and tidy.

On the Lilly Belle we had a conductor, Vern, who spent the entire trip telling us everything about the Disneyland Railroad, the Lilly Belle itself, the engines that pull her, and encouraged us all to ride in the tender seat. I sent an email to guest services about him.

I too lost an item--my keys! Luckily I live locally and my husband was with me and had his set. The next morning I went to lost and found and spoke with a wonderful CM who took a full report and chatted with me for a while. Unfortunately, nobody had turned them in. I wrote down my home phone number on the form since I was going to be home all day. As I was driving home from the park, I got a call from her on my cell phone saying that my keys had been turned in! She actually called my husband at home and then asked for my cell number so she could tell me the good news herself.

And one more--one time I was there with my 3yo DS and he became fascinated with one of the janitorial crew changing the trash can liner (you know how little kids get). I read the CM's name tag and told DS, "Say hello to Mr. Jorge!" DS did, and Jorge came over and gave DS a strip of Mickey stickers. It was so wonderful that even the people who many barely even notice are still dedicated to making a great experience for all guests.

3Princesses1Prince
12-13-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't think I've ever been in a Disney bathroom when a CM wasn't in there cleaning up. I've never had a negative experience with a CM. have I had a less than spectacular encounter? Sure. But even at Disney I don't expect everyone to be sunshine and lollipops.

On one trip nearly every ride attendant addressed my girls as "princess" which put a smile on their faces and mine. They had personalized shirts I made and characters personalized their signatures in their autograph books:"to princess R..."

WITron
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
On our last trip we had done the picnic dinner for WOC. As part of the kid's meal my youngest daughter received a glow braclet, which was big on her wrist. After we had eaten, we made sure everyone used the restroom before the show. Since the braclet was too big it ended up slipping off her wrist and fell into the toilet. I wnet back to where we picked up the meals and explained to them what had happened and they very graciously replaced it.

Also, when our daughters were younger and needed a stroller, I accidently left our camera bag in the stroller at the end of the night. As if losing our nice digital camera wasn't enough, the bag had our park tickets in it also. By the time I realized it was missing lost and found was closed. The next morning, I drove over to the park and went to lost and found. After describing the bag and the contents, they went in the back and returned it. It turned I had left it in the bottom of the stroller and a CM found it and turned it in. We were relieved that everything was still there.

trypticon
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I was thinking of starting something along these lines over the last few days, myself. Sure, sometimes I can run into a grumpy Cast Member, but when I compare Cast Members at Disneyland with workers at any other theme park I've been to, as well as the cleanliness of the park, bathrooms, restaurants, functionality of the rides, and upkeep of the park (lightbulbs, groundskeeping, stuff like that), Disneyland shines like a bright star on a moonless night.

Coming to this board, a person who has never been to the park might get the opposite idea. I think a lot of it stems from frequent park guests who see the park a little TOO often, and have countless previous trips to the park with which to compare day by day happenings there. Some of it also likely stems from people being annonymous, and just having to complain about something in a public forum so they can feel they are being heard, read, whatever, you get the idea.

This is a good bud for a thread, and I look forward to seeing it blossom over the next week or more.

korikelly
12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you so much for offering the other side of the coin. Our family only gets to the park every couple of years, even though we'd like to go much more often! I was getting a little worried that something drastic had happened since our last visit. We always have such great experiences and interactions with CMs. Being treated well and having a great time really is what keeps us coming back. Keep the positivity flowing! I love hearing your stories...it allows me to live vicariously between trips!

Lilo143stitch
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I bought one of the crystal pieces with prince charming and cinderella dancing under the arch with the bells for my cake topper at my wedding. I told the cake company about the bells but the day of the wedding the bells were missing :( when I went to Disneyland a few weeks later I told a CM at the crystal shop what had happend and asked if I could purchase just the bells. The CM came back with the bells and told me it was free of charge... I almost cried! So many moments at Disneyland with amazing CMs that help keep the magic alive!

DisneyFunFamily4
12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
We haven't been to DL in awhile but when we lived in SoCal we were up there just about once a month and I cant say we ever had a truly bad experience with a CM. And we have met so many who have taken the time to make our day extra magical. The Santa at the PPH a few years ago sent his elf over to ask DH what our kids names were, then he bellowed across the lobby “A & E aren’t you going to come tell me what you want for Christmas?” the CM at the DLH who invited the girls behind the check in counter to help check us in and upgraded our room for my birthday. The cast members who noticed our DD looking sad that a ride was down and stopped and gave her a Tinkerbelle year of a million dreams pin to cheer up. The snow white who recognized DD from the day before and said “Hello again E, why didn’t you tell me yesterday that it was your birthday today?” the tweedle dee and tweedle dum who snuck up behind me and scared the bageezes out of me when I was obliviously walking up main street, and then ran off giggling! I could go on and on. But these are the encounters that stick out in my head, not the dirty bathroom or the CM who was having a bad day.

we too have lost things and had them mailed back to us in less than a week. I lost my camera on main st after the fireworks a few years ago. By the time i figured out I lost it, freaked out and walked down to city hall someone had already turned it in. I was sure it was gone for good, but someone took the time to turn it in. It was a great lesson for my kids too.

It's the little things that Disney employees do that make your day extra special. If people could take this mentality in to the real world it would be a much happier place. I know i've heard some people say the CM are nicer at DL or WDW but we have met so many wonderful CM's on both coasts I dont know how one can compare.

candles71
12-14-2011, 08:32 AM
We just spent 5 days at the park, and never encountered any grumpy or negative CMs. I too was getting a bit worried by the other thread, but we had a fabulous time. We had a few humorous encounters with CMs since all 4 of us were wearing anniversary buttons. (Ours is this month, our friends' is in January, but their daughters sent them with us to celebrate theirs.)

norriski
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Coming out of lurker mode to add to the compliments of the GREAT people at Disneyland. As an AP holder for the last several years my friends and I make several multi-day trips to the park a year and the good FAR out weighs the bad. Sure there are those times when something is a little less than perfect but I have never walked away from the Parks disappointed in Disney. I have to add to the kudos of the Disney Lost and Found procedures! A few years ago my friend lost a sweater and he'd put in a claim at lost and found, then we'd forgotten about it. The sweater was mailed home within a few days. I've left my sun glasses on Space Mt and on Screaming and when back within minutes of noticing cast member each time searched each returning train when I was sitting and my glasses were returned. On a trip last year, I had lost my wallet and didn't even know it until the next morning when we were packing to go home and I noticed that my purse was a little too light. I hopped in the car and drove over to lost and found right when it opened and found they they had my wallet, knew the exact amount of cash to the penny that was in it and it was locked in a safe waiting for me. Over the years have there been losses that never made it back home a hat or such, sure but I don't blame that on Disney that is the person that found then and didn't turn them in. I like someone else choose to make Disney where my vacation and disposable income go and to me for the escape from my everyday life and the ability to walk into what I call my happy place it's worth every penny.

dlfansx4
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I just posted this on another thread but thought I would share it with you all here too. This was from our visit on Friday night:

We met the most wonderful CM while shopping in CA. We bought my Christmas present (a big fig) and were running late to get to our reservation at Big Thunder Ranch. She got the huge box all prepped for us and then after we left, she called the newsstand to tell them we were on our way over to drop off a big box and then she called the restaurant to let them know that we were on our way also. As soon as we walked up they said "oh, we were expecting you....right this way to your table" LOL. It was above and beyond on the CM's part and we made sure to stop by guest services and leave a compliment report for her.

We were enjoying our conversation with the CM so much while she was prepped our purchase that we didn't realize that we were running late. But as soon as we said that we had better hurry back over to DL, she said she would take care of all that for us. It was the Disneyland Customer Service that we all appreciate so much. LOL - when we were leaving the compliment card for her at City Hall, DH even told the CM there "we compare everyone else's customer service to DL so when a DL CM goes even more above and beyond, we have to share it with you."

Also, I never mentioned to DH about the threads lately in regards to trash all over the park. At 11:00 pm we were walking back to Small World when DH commented that the park looked so beautiful and clean. And I had to agree, other than a napkin and one piece of paper that we saw blowing in the wind, we saw no other trash that night at all.

disneyobsessed
12-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Were you shopping at Off the Page? I have consistently had absolutely the best CM interactions at that store.

dlfansx4
12-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Were you shopping at Off the Page? I have consistently had absolutely the best CM interactions at that store.

Yes, we were :) And when we left the compliment for the CM at City Hall, the CM working there said that she had heard many good things about the Off the Page CM also.

candles71
12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes, we were :) And when we left the compliment for the CM at City Hall, the CM working there said that she had heard many good things about the Off the Page CM also.
I have never purchased anything in there but they are very pleasant to us window shoppers, and always (cause I never can seem to remember to bring one) give me a rubber band for my anamation academy drawing with a smile.

kikid
12-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Thank you 'Midway Maniac'...we all needed this!:D
Merry Christmas to all the CM's... thanks for making our days at Disney, "memorable"