PDA

View Full Version : Questions? [Disneyland Hotel]

Chip37
06-27-2003, 02:08 PM
We will be staying at the DL Hotel begining on July 8th-16th. I have already booked and paid for the package thru Getaway Today. Here are my ???. Should I try an upgrade to the Grand Californian once I'm there? Has anyone taken the red carpet tour and is it worth it? How will the weather be while we are there? We will be bringing our 2 daughters ages 12 and 14 so I was wondering what would be the best hotel, if there is any availability. We will also be going for a day to Knottsberry Farms and was wondering if this is a nice place since we have not been there? And last but not least I know it's summer, but how should the crowds be? Thanks everyone, Chip.

dshimel
06-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Grand CA is fancy, but not overly Disney. Kids would probably prefer the Neverland pool at DLH over the unthemed pool at Grand CA for instance (no, can't use the DLH pool, if you're staying at GCH). Then again, 12 and 14 may prefer the "coolness" of GCH over the kiddy-DLH.

Hot.

Knott's used to be nice. It is in a transition period between undermaintained theme park, and undermaintained thrill park. Couple unique coasters, some older rides that have an almost Disney-like charm (Calico mine train and Log Ride), and lots of lesser thrills. The atmosphere is nothing close to what it used to be. Hope you aren't paying more than $25 per adult. It certainly isn't worth the $45ish gate price. I've got 3 coupons with that price, and last year you could get tickets at one of the local grocery stores for $22ish.

Crowds will be "not great", especially on the weekends. Get to the park before opening and do as much as possible in the first couple hours, especially on the West side (Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans, Critter). West side is the worst for traffic later in the day.

Plan one morning to do the West side. Plan another morning to do Fantasyland-Toontown.

Once crowds set in, use the heck out of FastPass, use this time to ride the rides with shortest lines(Casey Jr,. Canal Boats, Alice, Snow, Pinoc) hop over to DCA.... Avoid mainstreet during the parade, ulness you want to watch the parade. BY ALL MEANS, avoid mainstreet right after fireworks.

Great Fantasmic! plan: As the first Fantasmic! starts, hop the train from anywhere into New Orleans station. Hang out around the back of the crowd until after fireworks. Once fireworks is over, you can easily get the front row/center spot of your choice, and you won't have to wait 10 hours like the people who had front row center for the first show did..

If you want to catch fireworks from the best location, grab a spot just South of It's a Small World.

Not Afraid
06-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Hot, crowded - that's Summer at the DLR.

If I were a kid, I would prefer the DL Hotel. The GC is nice and beautiful, but eve I liked my stay at the DLH better than the GCH. Sit in the GC lobby, enjoy the restaurants, take the tour, but stay at the DLH.

Knotts is cool and classic but also has killer coasters. It is not a "nice" as DL, but worth seeing. Teenagers like to hang out there.

Darkbeer
06-27-2003, 03:10 PM
I love Knott's... they are currently fixing up the Ghost Town area..

And you must eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant, great food, large portions, and a reasonable price.:D

Not Afraid
06-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Make sure you get Boysenberry Pie!

kisroo
06-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Make sure you get Boysenberry Pie!
:drool:Knottschickendinnerwithpie:drool: That alone is worth going to Knotts for!!! ;) If you or your kids like coasters~go there. If not, it's not like it used to be, so just be prepared for the change. I wasn't and was disappointed, but then again, I am not a coaster rider, nor is my hubby.

Definately stay in the DLH over the GC for the children~the GC is spectacular, but not outwardly Disneyfied for children. I agree with NA and dshimel~if I was a child or staying with children, I'd stay at the DLH, even though I LOVE the GC!!!

I also wouldn't worry too much about the crowds, since you'll be there for 8 days (if I read that right). Go early, get lots done~take a break midday when it's starting to get hot and crowded~enjoy the pools and the area around the hotels, then return in later afternoon/early evening for more park fun! I'd also do DCA/Downtown Disney on a Fri/Sat. as DL will probably be the more crowded park on those weekend days.

Have a blast!!! :)
~kisroo

Chip37
06-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Well it looks like we will stay at the DL Hotel after reading everyone's posts. Even though the GC sounds nice, we have stayed at the DLH before and will do so again. Thanks again everyone, Chip.

dgdisney
06-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Not to try to change your mind at this point but I would think that teenage girls would think that GCH would be a much cooler place to hang out than DLH.

If you are staying at GCH you can pool hop over to DLH - but those at DLH cannot hop over to GCH. The pool has a redwood slide and is not themed but you can see all the kids climbing at the redwood challenge playarea (which is directly behind the pool area). Let's face it - the 12 and 14 year old girls are going to be hanging out with the cute lifeguards!

You may prefer the proximately to the parks too - my girls thought that was incredibly cool. They were not overly impressed with DLH - and they are younger.

On Knotts- we were disappointed last year with the state of the park - DIRTY!!! But it is a change and it does have some cool coasters. Also, there is a water park right across the street that is smallish but fun. You can get discount tickets to Knotts at some of the local grocery stores (we haven't paid gate prices in years).

But - you know what. No matter what you do you cannot go wrong--you are taking your family on vacation!!!

Have a terrific time!

Grandbreaker
06-28-2003, 06:30 PM
And you must eat at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant, great food, large portions, and a reasonable price. That is a must

jerjer2005
06-28-2003, 09:38 PM
I personally think you should stay at the GCH for these reasons...

1)you have already stayed at DLH why not try somthing new and unique?

2)Its closer to the parks and has its own entrance into California Adventure

Have a great and safe trip!

leota's necklace
06-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Chip37
We will be staying at the DL Hotel begining on July 8th-16th. I have already booked and paid for the package thru Getaway Today. Here are my ???. Should I try an upgrade to the Grand Californian once I'm there?

I've used Getaway Today twice, both times I had problems with the rooms (not Disney properties), and both times I was told, basically, that the package was already paid for, not the problem of the property in question, and I just needed to suck up and deal.

So I don't know if an upgrade would even be in the cards for you.
I'd suggest you call both Getaway Today and the DLH and ask about it before you go.

I'm sure things will go better with Disney properties, of course. Have a great trip!

jerjer2005
06-29-2003, 11:21 AM
for the price people pay to stay in the DLH/PPH/GCH i would hope that it would be better then an off property hotel.

laldava
07-04-2003, 09:37 AM
I think both hotels are great, but once again for the whole Disney theming, the DLH is the way to go. Ive stayed in both and both are great but theres something about the DLH that makes it more special. If two adults were traveling, I would definitely reccommend the GC hotel. Also, for Knotts - I havent been to the park since it was purchased by Cedar Parks LP but I do know that they have the best damn fried chicken around!! I go there just for that. For like 12 bucks you get a full dinner and dessert. The boysenberry pie and/ or sherbert is excellent too!