PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort and UNITE HERE Local 11 Agree on new 5-year Contract

Tony
12-05-2011, 09:45 AM
From the press release:

Disneyland Resort and UNITE HERE Local 11, the union representing 2,100 workers at the Resort’s three hotels, announced today that they have concluded negotiations on a mutually agreeable, five-year collective bargaining agreement. The contract will be effective once voted upon and ratified by the Local 11 members at the resort. Both parties are urging a "yes" vote on this ratification.

The Disneyland Resort and UNITE HERE Local 11 issued this joint statement:

"We are pleased that we were able to craft a fair and comprehensive agreement that works for the Disneyland Resort, and most importantly, for the 2,100 union hotel workers who now have the security of working with a multi-year contract in place. While it has been a long journey, we were able to cooperate and reach compromises that were agreeable to all parties and benefitted the Local 11 cast members who help deliver an unparalleled level of service to our Disneyland Resort guests every day."

The new contract will include wage increases for Local 11 employees, affordable healthcare for workers and their families and decreased workloads for housekeepers. The new contract also provides job security and seniority protections for both full-time and part-time workers.

Disneyland Resort is proud of its long-standing history of positive relationships with its unions, which started prior to 1955. Currently, all 31 unions at the Disneyland Resort, representing about 17,000 of its 22,000 cast members, have contracts in place.

adriennek
12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I am INCREDIBLY disappointed that the Unite HERE chapter or whatever it's called at Disneyland survived this disastrous chaotic mess that THEY created "on behalf of" their members. I'm glad it's over. But I'm really disgusted that they get to resume collecting dues from the hotel workers. They (Unite HERE) way doesn't deserve it.

Drince88
12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't know anything about labor relations law as it relates to the NLRB (other than to know the National Labor Relations Board oversees things when workers are trying to get union representation). But, provided the membership votes yes, and the contract goes into effect - can the workers then vote to de-certify the union/do what they need to to get DIFFERENT (or no) union representation?

starleet
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree with all here. Unite HERE Local 11 represented 2100 out of approx. 17,000 workers and is 1 union in 31. This union wasted the hotel workers' hard earned money/dues by spending it in carrying out their stunts (i.e. handing out balloons to park guests in the esplanade). The workers need to find better representation that will hold their best interests in regard and not the representatives' own need to be in the spotlight.

Drince88
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I did find that they can't decertify the union for 3 years after the new contract is agreed to/voted on/signed/ not sure the exact trigger - but it was 3 years.

nbaum
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I with the PPs. My dad's workplace has been in a union dispute for the past 6 years, I know that union had a vote on whether they wanted to keep the union or not, so I would guess that this union could do the same. I know that unions have their place and can protect people, but from what I've witnessed with this and my dad's workplace, it seems like unions have way too much power.

Teddi
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I do feel for them, I really do. We're starting to have the same sentiment where I work too.... sick of seeing our $ get spent on OWS and other tactics. Anyway, at least they finally got a contract. I HOPE it is a good deal for both parties.