PDA

View Full Version : Disney confirms Ghirardelli will open soda fountain and chocolate shop in DCA

AVP
12-01-2011, 09:06 AM
The Disney Parks Blog just posted an article confirming that Ghirardelli will open a soda fountain and chocolate shop in DCA. According to the article (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/ghirardelli-is-coming-to-disney-california-adventure-park/), "will feature Ghirardelli’s world-famous hot fudge sundaes and chocolate products. And each guest will be able to receive complimentary samples of their signature Ghirardelli Squares chocolate!"

This is going in the space where the Mission Tortilla Factory closed earlier this year. No opening date beyond "late Spring 2012" was given.

Adrienne

candles71
12-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Rats, late Spring tends to mean past our Spring Trip. Love Ghiradelli. Mmmm

houseofmouse
12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Mmmm tasty! Hopefully when we go back in late 2012 or Summer 2013 the opening madness will have died down. :)

Maus
12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Am I looking at the drawing wrong? Is this going to replace the Lucky Fortune Cookery too?

rickosuave1987
12-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Am I looking at the drawing wrong? Is this going to replace the Lucky Fortune Cookery too?

Looks to me like it will occupy the exact same space as the tortilla factory did. The left side of the building faces what will be Cars Land and the right faces the Bakery.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ghi495423SMALL.jpg

Maus
12-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I was confused by the part of the building on the far right that seems to jut out. Guess I just don't remember that it does that.

oregontraveler
12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I was confused by the part of the building on the far right that seems to jut out. Guess I just don't remember that it does that.

IIRC: that building part would be the Sourdough Factory Tour. It's just not labeled, I assume because they want you to focus on the new shop across the way. Either way, its good news, finally annouced.

adriennek
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM

The problem is that we were looking at it from the wrong perspective, Maus. Lucky Fortune isn't in this picture at all.

The first times, I thought the view was from the center of the Wharf area, as if we're standing towards the net of fish and that bridge area. But it's from the perspective of the Bountiful Farms area. The "Pacific Wharf" sign is a bridge/hanging sign thing from the old Tortilla Factory over to the Boudin building. To the far left of the picture is where the Baby Care Center and First Aid Station are.

Maus
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Ah, yes, the bridge/hanging sign thing! I see it clearly now.

Looking forward to this new soda fountain ... and free chocolate.

AJDerrick
12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm excited. I mean, free tortilla vs free chocolate? I'll take the chocolate. :) Plus, I've never actually made it to the one at DTD in WDW, so it'll be fun and new to us. Splitting a good ice cream sundae sounds like a good break from the Cars land madness.

ladodgerjon
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
great addition! Just like Fisherman's wharf in San Francisco...

oregontraveler
12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm excited. I mean, free tortilla vs free chocolate? I'll take the chocolate. :) Plus, I've never actually made it to the one at DTD in WDW, so it'll be fun and new to us. Splitting a good ice cream sundae sounds like a good break from the Cars land madness.

I liked the one in Orlando. They were giving out Free squares out front, & also have a bigger selction of flavors
you normally don't see in other retail shops. I guess you could compare it to the Ice Cream shop next to the El Capitan, only centered more on Ghiradelli.

AJDerrick
12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Mmmmm....now I need to go find lunch :)

foolishmortal
12-03-2011, 12:15 AM
will not miss this one! Love this!

So some trivia for you. Where was Ghiradelli's orginal location in CA? In other words where did they start!

DisneyFunFamily4
12-03-2011, 06:24 AM
please tell me they will have coffee too! we love stopping by the one in DTD at WDW for a mocha. Yum. and the free chocolate is nice too!

Kat, if i were to guess i would have to guess the store in Ghirardelli square in San Fran, however since google is my friend i would say the first store was a "tent-store" in Stockton, Ca in 1849 from which Mr Ghirardelli sold supplies and confectionaries to his fellow gold miners! ;)

dban3
12-03-2011, 08:01 AM
The building is also home to the DCA First Aid station. I wonder if that will be relocating.

mkraemer
12-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Hmmm. I like Ghiraradelli, and their presence fits the theme of the area quite well, but my concern about having a major chocolate company presence is whether it will impact the on-site candy making at Disneyland. I *love* that the Candy Shop on Main Street makes its own candy, and I would truly be sad if that were quietly discontinued.

foolishmortal
12-03-2011, 09:52 AM
please tell me they will have coffee too! we love stopping by the one in DTD at WDW for a mocha. Yum. and the free chocolate is nice too!

Kat, if i were to guess i would have to guess the store in Ghirardelli square in San Fran, however since google is my friend i would say the first store was a "tent-store" in Stockton, Ca in 1849 from which Mr Ghirardelli sold supplies and confectioneries to his fellow gold miners! ;)

LOL! Good guess, but this time google was only 1/2 right. The first Site of Ghirardelli was in Horninos Ca. They then opened a site in Stockton after this site.

The building there is mostly gone now, there is a plaque there with the dates and name of Ghiardelli's site.

If I can find one of my old pics of this I'll scan it an post it here. I love doing the "gold" trail run in the Serria's you learn and see all kinds of neat stuff.

candles71
12-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I love doing the "gold" trail run in the Serria's you learn and see all kinds of neat stuff.
O/T: How is this for a fun fact, The Foresthill Divide (not just our "town" but the whole divide), had more gold, by cash value, taken from it than anywhere else in California.
Back to topic, I still love Ghiradelli, this makes me very happy (not to mention I am already drooling :p)

foolishmortal
12-03-2011, 06:23 PM
O/T: How is this for a fun fact, The Foresthill Divide (not just our "town" but the whole divide), had more gold, by cash value, taken from it than anywhere else in California.
Back to topic, I still love Ghiradelli, this makes me very happy (not to mention I am already drooling :p)

Now that is cool. I can see that being in N. ca. Our end has lots more granite less quartz deposits for gold to be in. On the up side that's why we can grow just about anyt thing here, good run off soil from both ranges.

Now back to how much I am going to love this new DCA addition!

BlkPearlCptn
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Since they said "Soda Fountain" I hope that they really do ice cream sodas there. I LOVE Chocolate sodas and they are getting harder and harder to find.

candles71
12-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Something I read says the one at WDW serves coffee drinks. Does this mean NOT NESCAFE? In the park? Oh, please, oh please, oh please.....

DisneyFunFamily4
12-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Something I read says the one at WDW serves coffee drinks. Does this mean NOT NESCAFE? In the park? Oh, please, oh please, oh please.....That is my hope to Candles! the one a wdw has fabulous mocha's and hot cocoa's. they are so good!!! we've gone in there quite a few time but we always get coffees!