PDA

View Full Version : A question about performing in DLR!

DivaPrincess
06-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi! My husband asked me to see if any of you could answer a question or steer us in the right direction.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make a living working as an entertainer in the DL Resort? I'm talking being in one of the shows (Aladdin or Animazement type) or performance groups, like Groove 66. I know how to find out about auditions, but they don't give details about pay.

By making a living, I mean being able to support a small family on one income, but possibly being supplemented by small side business, or taking part in some of the semi-pro theatres around the LA area.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight or advice.

Thanks so much!

Morrigoon
06-26-2003, 12:34 AM
As I understand it (got this info secondhand from a DL performer), the DL stage performers are union. However, it's not Actor's Equity, but another union which applies specifically to theme park performers. Probably just a way for DL to pay less and keep Equity off their backs, but I digress. If they were Equity shows I believe they would get in the neighborhood of $60/hr. Instead, they get like maybe $20/hr, but I could be wrong given the way I got the info.

Do you have a working spouse? You might be able to if you do.

pkcdust
06-26-2003, 10:27 AM
All stage and park talent that is NON-CHARACTER is pretty much going to be AGVA, with a few exceptions.

Everyone in Aladdin is AGVA, Parade performers are AGVA, and the cast of the new Snow White show will be AGVA. Their rates vary, but are negotiated by the union.

For example, starting CR rate for a character is 8.35, wheras a parade performer can only be hired as a CT and get around 7.20 and their hours are dictated separately.

They have to pay union dues in addition ... whereas you can be non-union but still work in ENTERTAINMENT at the park.

Hope this helps a little bit :) I know people who work CR 5 days a week with a family... and have done so for 14-20 years... but most performers are single and not becoming rich.

DivaPrincess
06-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Do you have a working spouse? You might be able to if you do.

My husband would be the performer, whereas I stay home with the kids. I could do something to work from the home, but am not willing to give up my job as full time mom. It's just that it's my husbands dream to perform for a living (and he does have the talent to back it up), and he's an absolute DL freak, so it would be doubly great. But, the reality of living in So Cal is very daunting. We don't need a lot, but we do need to live.

Thanks for your info so far. Any thoughts on where I could get contract info?

sgtdilbert
06-26-2003, 01:30 PM
OT: :( I have quite a few friends who are very good musicians. Almost all of them have eventually found themselves in Vegas. Plenty of great gigs that are steady and pay well. I wouldn't want to live there, but it really is heaven for a good musician.

s.

DivaPrincess
06-26-2003, 02:31 PM
That's funny! I'm from Vegas. There are some sweet jobs for musicians here. If I was one, I'd want to work for Cirque! Anyway, my husband and I are more musical theatre actors and the only option on the strip is Mamma Mia! and they had so many people show up to auditions, my husband wasn't allowed to even audition. Other shows on the strip are just not our cup of tea.

And, it's not so bad to live here. It's actually a huge town - something like 30 high schools - over a million people. I hardly ever go to the strip.