PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin questions...

Christiii
06-25-2003, 06:32 PM
I was just wondering why they keep casting asians in the lead roles. I dont mean to sound racist in ANY way..because Im not..and if the best person for the role is aisan..Great1! But its seems that both the female an male lead have only been that, except for the one guy I saw when it first opened. It just seems really strange to me..like if they only hired Indian or hispanic leads for Mulan. Am I missing something here??
Also..how much is the show lipsynced?? I know that at least in the opening number, Aladdin has the Exact same voice no matter who is playing him. I just saw it yesterday, and last April and in Dec..and it all sounded exactly the same.
Just curious!! :D

jerjer2005
06-25-2003, 06:56 PM
none of the show is lipsynced, someone is singing it all the time just sometimes its from back stage when the second aladdin is on for a brief second. so yes the second aladdin does lip sinc but someone is really singing it.

every time iv seen aladdin (6 times) its been the same aladdin, and what i supose is the fact that u had stated that that person was the best for the job :)

IndyBones
06-25-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
none of the show is lipsynced, someone is singing it all the time just sometimes its from back stage when the second aladdin is on for a brief second. so yes the second aladdin does lip sinc but someone is really singing it.

every time iv seen aladdin (6 times) its been the same aladdin, and what i supose is the fact that u had stated that that person was the best for the job :)

The music(and singing) while the magic carpet is flying over the audience during "A Whole New World" is recorded.

dav
06-26-2003, 11:57 AM
I wonder what kind of technologic terror came up with that frightfully expensive carpet rig in the catwalk. I wonder if it is on some sort of remote. Boy, it is cool!

-dav

tabacco
06-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Think how amazing it'd be if they could build a full-scale attraction along similar lines. Kinda like Peter Pan, but with a far greater range of motion. You could tilt, bank, climb, fall, etc. (while buckled securely into a seat, of course). How cool woudl that be?

dav
06-27-2003, 07:48 AM
HERE YE HERE YE!

Come ride the newest "Whirly-Twirly" gadget/thingy there is!

ALADDIN's SUPER-COOL CARPET CONTRAPTION!!!!

-----

Uh, tobacco, I hate to admit this, but I do believe that is beyond my capacity for relative imagination. I hate me when that happens, it's not nice.

-dav

eyespy11
06-27-2003, 07:32 PM
I believe its keeping with the whole "theming". I dont think it is racist, I think its the best peson for the part, based on the casting call that goes out. Which is usually race specific. "Asian or ethnic female lead wanted"

Have you ever seen a Black Snow White? Have you ever seen a Latin Cinderalla? Its all type casting.

It happens in Hollywood, I think actors have come to realize that. I dont know if it happens on Broadway as much, but I personally have never seen a Latin "Christine" in Phantom or a black "Cosette" in Les Mis. I dont think its because those women are not talented or beautful enough or because someone is racist.. its just casting for a specific part.

DivaPrincess
06-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Ooooh...this is just my topic.

I just got refused for a part in a local theatre production because I was too white for the multi-ethnic cast. As much as it makes me mad, I'm trying to understand that the rest of the cast is dark or olive skinned and I wouldn't blend in. Sometimes theatre is cast colorblind - see Disney's Roger's & Hammerstein's Cinderella starring teen sensation Brandy!, but for the most part, ethnicity as a part of appearance comes into play. I'm sure if a good middle-eastern actor came in for the part, they would be well considered for the part, if they could handle it.

By the way, I did see a black Madame Thernadier in Les Mis on Broadway. She was fabulous.

And, Lea Salonga, well known for her role as Eponine, and the singing voice of Jasmine in the movie, is Asian.

eyespy11
06-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Lea Salonga, is wonderful, I saw her 2x in Les Mis. But the character of Eponine has bene played by numerous people and Lea Salonga does not look 100% asian. You cant really tell.

Im not saying I agree.... I just think thats the way it is in show biz. Im sure there are many talented people, that deserve the chance to play this great parts....But its reality that in casting, they will look for the traits that they see in the character.

Pirate Girl
06-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by dav
HERE YE HERE YE!

Come ride the newest "Whirly-Twirly" gadget/thingy there is!

ALADDIN's SUPER-COOL CARPET CONTRAPTION!!!!

Sounds like fun to me!

DivaPrincess
06-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by eyespy11
Lea Salonga, is wonderful, I saw her 2x in Les Mis. But the character of Eponine has bene played by numerous people and Lea Salonga does not look 100% asian. You cant really tell.

Im not saying I agree.... I just think thats the way it is in show biz. Im sure there are many talented people, that deserve the chance to play this great parts....But its reality that in casting, they will look for the traits that they see in the character.

Just curious - did you see her in Miss Saigon - she looked
"very" Asian to me. And I personally don't believe it should matter. Unless there us a specific reason for a character to be a different race - such as in Miss Saigon or Aida or Othello, I would always cast colorblind.