PDA

View Full Version : DL Pirates CM left to handle angry crowd

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wenidog
11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Happy Thanksgiving! So, Pirates was supposed to come offline today after a lengthy reburb. MASSIVE crowd runs to opening upon rope drop into Adventureland...swarm the Pirates entry. Chanting for the chains to be opened...one poor lady pirate CM arrives to handle the crowd. Finally, an upper CM arrives to loudly proclaim that there are technical difficulties. The crowd is unhappy, rightly so. Exceptionally bad planning for crowd control! Mini scuffles ensue within the crowd. Where is security and back up for the lonely pirate girl?

Oh...also...Indy was closed, Matterhorn only one side working, Space went down...all by 930am. HUGE Thanksgiving crowds! We went back to our DGC room to chill. DL will probably reach max capacity soon...largest crowd in past 3 days...craziness!

Rufus T Firefly
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Oh, the humanity!

Malcon10t
11-24-2011, 09:22 AM
So, there were technical difficulties and people felt it would be better to open rides when they were unsafe? I understand disappointment, but seriously, it isn't like Disneyland WANTS these things to happen. It would be much easier for everyone involved if everything worked right today. But just like opening day, things happen. Fights, anger over a ride? Too bad people have such entitlement issues.

houseofmouse
11-24-2011, 09:50 AM
It was supposed to open today? I thought it wasn't going to be open by today? Hmm... sometimes people just suck. A scuffle? Really? Geeze. Sad.

moofeet
11-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry that was me that started the scuffle. Was excited to see the crab :p

wenidog
11-24-2011, 11:12 AM
So, there were technical difficulties and people felt it would be better to open rides when they were unsafe? I understand disappointment, but seriously, it isn't like Disneyland WANTS these things to happen. It would be much easier for everyone involved if everything worked right today. But just like opening day, things happen. Fights, anger over a ride? Too bad people have such entitlement issues.

Where to begin...My issue was with Disney leaving their employee VERY unprepared for the barrage of people. Posters wishing to unload comments regarding entitled guests, sniveling, etc can stop now. I saw lots of folks taking photos and posting on Disney Twitter feeds...look for yourselves. Happy Thanksgiving!

SeanMouse
11-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I had noticed several weeks ago the they had removed the actual date for the opening and just made it November rather than an actual day. That is usually a sign that things arent going as planned. But people do spend alot of money so I see both sides of the situation.

MidwayManiac
11-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I had noticed several weeks ago the they had removed the actual date for the opening and just made it November rather than an actual day. That is usually a sign that things arent going as planned. But people do spend alot of money so I see both sides of the situation.

Not sure about any of that, however, I've checked the official calendar (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar/#/default/2011/11/24) regularly of late. Under 'View Refurbishments' Pirates of the Carribean appeared every day the 1st through the 23rd, but not the 24th or thereafter.

oregontraveler
11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh...also...Indy was closed, Matterhorn only one side working, Space went down...all by 930am. HUGE Thanksgiving crowds! We went back to our DGC room to chill. DL will probably reach max capacity soon...largest crowd in past 3 days...craziness!

Someone must have heard about the loop they put in, and started the fight. :p

fairestoneofall
11-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Where to begin...My issue was with Disney leaving their employee VERY unprepared for the barrage of people. Posters wishing to unload comments regarding entitled guests, sniveling, etc can stop now.
Your originally post was bound to illicit responses about ill behaved guests, the thread started with you writing about unhappy chanting crowds and scuffles. It's sad that they CM was unprepared, but it's more sad that the guests had to behave that way. And what a great way to model good behavior to young children. There are tons of other attractions to keep people adequately entertained on Thanksgiving Day at Disneyland. Things happen.

3Princesses1Prince
11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Your originally post was bound to illicit responses about ill behaved guests, the thread started with you writing about unhappy chanting crowds and scuffles. It's sad that they CM was unprepared, but it's more sad that the guests had to behave that way. And what a great way to model good behavior to young children. There are tons of other attractions to keep people adequately entertained on Thanksgiving Day at Disneyland. Things happen.

Agreed. No matter how how unprepared Disney was, it doesn't excuse the guests bad behavior. It's like everyone running to Peter Pan on a MM and it being closed. Get over it and move on.

3Princesses1Prince
11-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Agreed. No matter how how unprepared Disney was, it doesn't excuse the guests bad behavior. It's like everyone running to Peter Pan on a MM and it being closed. Get over it and move on.

curtsinore
11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
The anger must have started at the airports. On the news last night they reported that air travel was at an all time high since 2007, as well as auto traffic in the Pacific Northwest. And this interstate freeway travel probably carried all over the Nation......which means that in anger they had to occupy some space at Disneyland. A pirates life indeed!!!! Anyhow, it looks like I messed up on my advice that the park wouldn't be crowded. But what does this suggest about holidays for 2012?

Bytebear
11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Seems Disney should have just put the sign up that said the ride was closed for the day, and put it on the closed list, and if they could open it, they could have done a soft opening.

danyoung
11-24-2011, 08:30 PM
There's an obvious disconnect between the people who monitor the online sites and the people who staff the attractions. Disney didn't put out any official info that said that Pirates would be open today, but the online community assumed that Thursday was the big day. And Disney underestimated the zeal with which people would want to see the new attraction. Seems like Disney needs to come up to speed with this new online world, and realize that there's info out there that's beyond their control.

Marsh
11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
While I understand what you are saying danyoung I also think that people need to realize that not everything that they read on a message board or online site is true. Disney cannot look to squash all of the rumors that are popping up all over the internet each day. I think that sometimes people just need to realize that because they read it on the internet does not mean that its true. If you want to know for sure you need to call Disney and ask them.

tea4two
11-24-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm saddened (by the poor behavior of some DL guests), but not surprised by POC's problems today. Al Lutz reported that there were problems noted as late as Tuesday afternoon and that the management team didn't want the ride opened until the problems were fixed. Don't know how much truth there is in that story, but it makes sense given what happened today. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer to ride POC, just to give them time to iron out the kinks.

missm
11-25-2011, 06:44 AM
So did it ever open? I looked at the DL site and didn't see it on the refurb list.

3Princesses1Prince
11-25-2011, 08:06 AM
While I understand what you are saying danyoung I also think that people need to realize that not everything that they read on a message board or online site is true. Disney cannot look to squash all of the rumors that are popping up all over the internet each day. I think that sometimes people just need to realize that because they read it on the internet does not mean that its true. If you want to know for sure you need to call Disney and ask them.
Even Disney's site and CMs were telling people that Thursday was the day. If there were delays and they knew it was going to be closed, then yes there needs to be better communication in updating the online calendar. If they were still hoping itd be open then I can see why they didn't change it. Does anyone know what happened to the Blue Bayou reservations?

houseofmouse
11-25-2011, 08:11 AM
It did open yesterday. I have a DL app on my phone and it was saying 60 mins wait time last night. This morning the other websites have pictures from yesterday. I assume then that the Blue Bayou reservations went off just fine.

danyoung
11-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Even Disney's site and CMs were telling people that Thursday was the day.

Did they say that it was opening with the park, or did they say sometime Thursday? Or maybe did they not specify and people filled in the blanks themselves?

3Princesses1Prince
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Did they say that it was opening with the park, or did they say sometime Thursday? Or maybe did they not specify and people filled in the blanks themselves?

It didn't specify a time, just that it was only on refurb until Wednesday and would reopen Thursday.

Drince88
11-25-2011, 10:58 AM
It didn't specify a time, just that it was only on refurb until Wednesday and would reopen Thursday. And unless it's listed on the Times Guide as not opening with park opening, it's not an unreasonable assumption to think it will be open at rope drop.
But it's also not an unreasonable assumption to expect guests at Disneyland to act like adults, but clearly I'm wrong there!

Malcon10t
11-25-2011, 11:28 AM
But it's also not an unreasonable assumption to expect guests at Disneyland to act like adults, but clearly I'm wrong there!Come join me on the couch. Today, it has a 30 min wait according to Mouse Wait.

danyoung
11-25-2011, 12:32 PM
In reading this thread, I've been thinking about what my response would have been. If I had been at DL on Thursday, I probably would have gone to Pirates first thing that morning, hoping the ride was open but fully realizing that it might not be open. And if told that it wasn't quite open yet but might be open later in the day, I would have happily moved on to my next destination. It's hard to imagine people freaking out just because an attraction isn't open.