PDA

View Full Version : Bay Lake Tower General Questions

KJSJpipe
11-22-2011, 07:46 AM
We are staying at BLT with a Theme Park View June 17-25, 2012. There will be four of us- me, DH, DD (15), DS (13) and we are all Disney veterans.
This will be our first stay at BLT and being the over planner that I am already looking at dinning options, transportation ideas and such. :geek:
So here are the questions/thoughts I have had so far:

1. DME- we will take it to and from the airport like we usually do and understand the way it works at other resorts.
The bus drop off/pick up is at the Contemporary?
2. Check-in/out is only at the Contemporary?
3. Park Resort Transportation- there are no busses/boats/monorail at BLT we either need to go to the Contemporary or MK?
4. With the buses to the parks/resorts will it be faster to walk to the MK bus loop or over to the Contemporary?
5. Any particular floor I should request to get the best out of a Park view?
6. Thoughts on the Lounge?
7. How is the pull out couch? We will have the kids sleeping on it, is it comfortable enough or should we bring our air mattress? Is there space for it?
(Flying SW so space is not an issue)
8. How many paper products do they leave, are they easy to get replaced? Should I just bring small plates/plastic knives?
(I am getting a Garden Grocer delivery and plan on having some snacks/breakfasts in the room)
9. Any thing I am forgetting? Suggestions?

stan4d_steph
11-22-2011, 08:04 AM
You're staying in a studio? I've stayed in one at Saratoga. The pull out is a full size bed, so it should be fine for two kids as long as they aren't bed hogs. There isn't much additional room in the studios when the sofa bed is out, so it would be a pretty tight fit for an additional air mattress.

Drince88
11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
4. If you're going to other resorts, I think walking to the MK would be quicker. If you're going to other parks, then going to the Contemporary would be quicker - and then either get the bus, or take the monorail to the TTC.

There aren't buses to other parks at the MK parking lot (they're at the TTC) and there aren't buses to other resorts at the Contemporary or TTC.

Exception if you're going to another resort on the monorail and maybe Wilderness (sometimes there's a boat between Contemp and Wilderness, or so I've heard).

Also, if you're going to the MK it will definitely be quicker to walk from the Contemp/BLT because the resort monorail goes from the Contemp to TTC to Poly to GF to MK - but going back to BLT it could be faster to monorail if you have good timing, since it's the first stop. Just make sure you get on the RESORT monorail!!!

6. I know DisneyFamilyFun4 and her family really liked the Top of the World Lounge.

GusMan
11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
The fold out couches are not all that bad, if they are similar to other DVC resorts. They are queen sized and provide a good amount of room for two kids.
Like it was said above, Studio space is limited with the bed out, so I would leave the air mattress at home.

Usually they provide enough paper plates/bowls/plasticware for several days and are refreshed during mousekeeping visits. Glassware and coffee cups are provided.

Toocherie
11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
During my recent studio stay earlier this month (at Saratoga) I thought Mousekeeping was pretty stingy with the paper goods they left. And most of the time I was alone in the room! (also doing breakfasts). I'm sure if I had called Mousekeeping they would have replenished, however.

KJSJpipe
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys!
Cathy- I forgot about having ot go to the TTC for Park Busses.
I think I will leave the air matress at home, I was thinking of using it in place of the sofa bed. If push comes to shove the boy can sleep on the cushions from the sofa again...

JeffG
11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
It doesn't look like anyone yet directly addressed the meat of questions 1-4. Bay Lake Tower isn't really a separate resort, but is instead a part of the Contemporary. BLT was built on the site of one of the old garden wings of the Contemporary and the main entrances to the building are just a short walk away from the main Contemporary tower. There is also a sky bridge that connects the two buildings. The walk from BLT to the Contemporary lobby or to the bus stop is actually considerably shorter than the walks you are apt to encounter at many of the other DVC resorts, particularly Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. Even for a fairly slow walker, it is unlikely that it would take more than 5 minutes or so to walk from BLT to the bus stop or the lobby.

It is definitely a much shorter walk to get from BLT to the bus stops or the monorail station than it is to walk to the Magic Kingdom. As others have noted, there are no buses that go from resort-to-resort, though, so walking over to the MK to get a bus to another resort is often faster. The main exceptions would be Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness (which are reachable via boat) and Grand Floridian and Polynesian (which are reachable by monorail). In addition, some of the buses (particularly the Animal Kingdom ones) stop at Grand Floridian and/or Polynesian as well.

To get to the Magic Kingdom itself, walking is often quite a bit faster than taking the monorail. There can often be a wait for a monorail and then you have to wait for stops at TTC, Grand Floridian, and Polynesian. The Contemporary is the first monorail stop when returning from the MK, but it still can often be much faster to walk, particularly at really busy times (such as park closing or right after fireworks).

I personally think that Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower is probably the best location when it comes to ease of access to other parts of WDW. In fact, we liked it enough that we sold off our Saratoga Springs points and used the proceeds as down payment for re-purchasing at BLT.

-Jeff

KJSJpipe
11-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks for all the great info Jeff.
:)

DisneyFunFamily4
11-26-2011, 07:11 PM
We always drive down to wdw so i cant comment on the busses but the thing that SOLD us on BLT was LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! The walk to the MK is a hop skip and a jump and it was so easy to get on the monorail to hop over to epcot, and the bus stop for the contemporary is really right out front. Check in is in the Contemporary lobby and was very easy. Our youngest DD8 is a bed hog and the girls didn't have any issues with the sofa bed. But like others have said when the sofa bed is folded out it becomes very crowded.

as for the plastic wear/paper plates, we had plenty. we also picked some up when we were over at the CS at the contemporary

6. I know DisneyFamilyFun4 and her family really liked the Top of the World Lounge. ;) :) Why yes, yes we did. we had only planned on going up there once to watch fireworks but we ended up going up there 3 nights out of our 5 night trip. It was great to go up and have a night cap and watch fireworks. One night we appetizers and dessert.

KJSJpipe
11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks!
:D

Cbum
12-29-2011, 03:45 PM
We are staying at BLT with a Theme Park View June 17-25, 2012. There will be four of us- me, DH, DD (15), DS (13) and we are all Disney veterans.
This will be our first stay at BLT and being the over planner that I am already looking at dinning options, transportation ideas and such. :geek:
So here are the questions/thoughts I have had so far:

1. DME- we will take it to and from the airport like we usually do and understand the way it works at other resorts.
The bus drop off/pick up is at the Contemporary?
2. Check-in/out is only at the Contemporary?
3. Park Resort Transportation- there are no busses/boats/monorail at BLT we either need to go to the Contemporary or MK?
4. With the buses to the parks/resorts will it be faster to walk to the MK bus loop or over to the Contemporary?
5. Any particular floor I should request to get the best out of a Park view?
6. Thoughts on the Lounge?
7. How is the pull out couch? We will have the kids sleeping on it, is it comfortable enough or should we bring our air mattress? Is there space for it?
(Flying SW so space is not an issue)
8. How many paper products do they leave, are they easy to get replaced? Should I just bring small plates/plastic knives?
(I am getting a Garden Grocer delivery and plan on having some snacks/breakfasts in the room)
9. Any thing I am forgetting? Suggestions?

1. Yes
2. Yes

3&4. Contemporary to go to other parks it is a very short walk from BLT. Absolutely walk to MK 5-8 mins. Getting to the monorail to go to Epcot or the TTC or the other monorail resorts is a very short walk also. To go to the other resorts the walk to MK buses is not bad.

5&6. The top floor is best and and we had a rear exit from our GV that allows you to walk to the lounge without going to the elevator. The view from the Top of The World is spectacular but I don't remember if you can bring a cocktail outside while enjoying Wishes. The lounge is pricey but what isn't in WDW. The view is spectacular oooops...already said that.

7. Can't help you with that one but if you have the space I would bring it.

8. The GV was well stocked with glasses, dishes, plates and all the necessities.

9. Already said but location location location. A very nice not overly crowded pool. They do have a room on the first floor stocked with movies and games and projects for the kiddies for any day but especially if it pours outside. Don't forget the Wave restaurant next door we have never had a bad meal there it's almost like a best kept secret. Chef Mickeys is there also.
We stayed there in Jan 10 with a lake view and the view of Space Ship Earth and The Tower of Terror is pretty cool too. We did freeze our butts off trying to watch wishes from the top of the world but I don't think you'll have to worry about that in June. Hmmmmmm what else.... if i think of anything I'll post again

KJSJpipe
12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks Cbum!
We are getting more excited by the day. I have all our ADR's made, including one at the Wave on our arrival day, DME booked, and Airline tickets paid off. I am working on saving up for the tickets, parking at the airport, spending money and food money(we are going OOP and using the Tables in Wonderland Card).