PDA

View Full Version : July Fourth at Dland?

pixiepal
06-25-2003, 12:56 PM
This may have been asked in an earlier thread (I didn't see one...) but what happens on the fourth? Anything exciting? How are the crowds? Are we insane to go that weekend?:eek:

cstephens
06-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by pixiepal
This may have been asked in an earlier thread (I didn't see one...) but what happens on the fourth? Anything exciting? How are the crowds? Are we insane to go that weekend?:eek:

Fourth of July at Disneyland is indeed very crowded, probably more so this year than in the last few years because it falls on a Friday. On the Fourth, Disney usually gives away a free flag pin to everyone, which is a nice gesture, I think. There is also an extra bit of fireworks following Believe. As much as I liked last year's, I really wish they'd go back to what they did the first Fourth of July after Believe started. That was incredible and much more about hope and looking to the future than just patriotism.

As for being insane, what does that have to do with it? ;) But seriously, just know that it will be extremely crowded that weekend, so don't expect to be able to go on that many rides in the course of a day.

tod
06-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Years ago -- when the little tods weren't born yet and an annual pass was $50 and the lovely Mrs. tod was tod's girlfriend she put it like this:

If you go to Disneyland on the fourth of July,

and, God forbid, you die...

...it'll take you half an hour to fall over.

And I never heard it said better.

--T

hbquikcomjamesl
06-25-2003, 02:37 PM
I've been spending the entire day and evening at DL on July 4th since the year when Fountain Valley outlawed all fireworks. It's my annual Walt's Footsteps tour (and the year before that, it was the day I was lucky enough to get in on the experimental backstage tour before it was cancelled, and I have the passport to prove it!), and ever since DCA opened, it's typically involved over half a dozen separate park-hops in a single day.

It's definitely a day to wear a hat and plenty of high-potency sunscreen (and in my case, to take a Drixoral before leaving home; although I don't believe it's specifically approved for skin allergies, it seems to help reduce the itching from the sunscreen; I'll also be taking along some Aveeno lotion and some hydrocortisone for the same reason), and definitely a day to spend as much of your time in indoor attractions (preferably air conditioned ones) as possible. And it's a day to expect long lines.

Andrew
06-25-2003, 02:52 PM
July 4th is one of two times during the year when I might possibly consider the barest outside chance of riding Dumbo. At 2:00 AM. With bubbles.

(Not that I'll be there on July 4th this year.)

cstephens
06-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
July 4th is one of two times during the year when I might possibly consider the barest outside chance of riding Dumbo. At 2:00 AM. With bubbles.

Then you'd be half an hour late! We used to do this at 1:30am. And yes, the bubbles were a great addition to the tradition, thanks to Rebekah.

We haven't done this in ages. I don't foresee doing it again though. Bummer.

pixiepal
06-25-2003, 08:33 PM
OK....so I guess you guys are basically confirming that I am insane for going on that day?!?!? :p
Well, I don't plan on riding many rides. Just people watching, soaking up the wonders of Disneyland, and eating as much junk food as I can before I vomit.

Disneyfreak
06-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Its not that your watching, you will be on top squeeeeeezzzeeeed in them. No room to walk at all, HAVE FUN. Oh did I mension that most of the major rides lines will be over 100min each!! without sm its going to be hell. I am guessing that Splash will be over 200 min.

Morrigoon
06-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Wall to wall people. One of the two worst days you could come. However, if your idea of fun involves a good poker game at one of the upper tables at Plaza Pavilion, overlooking the great unwashed, then by all means, go July 4th. Myself, I'm looking forward to getting off work at 13:30 (just as the crowd reaches critical mass) and getting as far away from the park as possible.

If you ARE going, get there AT opening, grab a fastpass, then grab another one, then another. Get as many as you can early on (when your fp returns will be shortly after you get them). Remember Pirates is disconnected! ;) THEN go ride rides. Eat lunch by 11 or you'll be waiting forever - Hungry Bear is far away and has a lower level ppl rarely go to (downside is it's got the nearest bathrooms to Pooh ;))

tod
06-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by pixiepal
OK....so I guess you guys are basically confirming that I am insane for going on that day?!?!? :p
Well, I don't plan on riding many rides. Just people watching, soaking up the wonders of Disneyland, and eating as much junk food as I can before I vomit.

No, silly, we're just warning you what it's like in there. :fez:

Your plan will work just fine.

--T

hbquikcomjamesl
06-26-2003, 07:50 AM
I don't think it's insane at all, having done it every year for most of my adult life. Just be prepared. The Walt's Footsteps tour would be a good idea, since it tends to get you around the crowds. So are the less-crowded attractions. It's the one day out of the year when I actually plan to do Innoventions when there isn't some new, heavily-hyped installation, and I usually spend a good hour or so in there, just to get out of the sun. (It ain't exactly the Exploratorium, the California Academy of Sciences, the Pacific Science Center, the Field Museum, or the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, but it can still be interesting.) Doing single-rider on Soarin' or Indy while waiting for a FP to mature on the same attraction would also be a good idea, since that, too, will get you out of the sun for quite a while.

A 200-minute queue for Splash Mountain?!? I still can't imagine why anybody would want to do it, or GRR for that matter, on a hot day with no rain. Save those for a day when it's drizzly, but not especially cold or windy.

dshimel
06-26-2003, 09:01 AM
I went to DL on the 4th last year. They were selling cool 4th commemerative shirts, but they were out of my size by the time I got to the store.

It was a crowded day, and that was a Thursday. We got in a couple rides (mostly early). It was definatly a next FastPass in 2 hours kind of day. (FastPass return times more than 2 hours out).

Had to get out of Dland right after Fantasmic/Fireworks. What a nightmare. Personal space was out of the question. Took over an hour to get through Frontierland and down Main Street.

cstephens
06-26-2003, 11:13 AM
We've been going for the past several years. We usually get there a little earlier than we usually do on a Sunday, have a late breakfast/early lunch, drop by the hub at noon to see if anyone's around to say hi to, and then wander around a bit before going to hide in an out-of-the-way place for the afternoon before coming back in the evening for a bite of dinner and than camping out for the fireworks. Not sure if we're doing the hiding thing this year, but we'll definitely be there for fireworks.

Germboy
06-26-2003, 03:17 PM
There are two days in the year where there's no other place I'd rather be than DL: 4th of July and New Year's Eve, in that order. Yes, the lines are horrendous...the crowds are insane...and many people are on a short fuse. But I expect it, and take it with a bit of humor. We don't plan on riding rides those days.

My motivation for going to both events is the fireworks show. I record every one of them from the Small World area, next to the speaker--and we camp out for hours (moving long enough to let the parade through). I'm not sure how New Year's fireworks have been in the past, but this last one was exceptional. It was so great to hear Fantasy In The Sky again--I had goosebumps all over. IMHO Believe is tired and needs to be put to sleep (I didn't like it when it started, and time has only made it worse). To hear Fantasy again, with the fireworks synchronized to the music, made my night and I have watched it over and over the last 6 months.

I have to disagree with you, cstephens, about the July 4th presentation you are talking about (I think the one right before Sept. 11th, right?). There is a link to it on another website, by the way. I downloaded it from there (and was also at the park when it played) and played it for friends and family. All of us commented that the music was completely uninspiring. I don't particularly care for "Golden Dreams," even when it was installed briefly at Lincoln.

And there's nothing wrong with patriotism, especially on that day and in this climate. ESPECIALLY considering that people come from around the country to see the show and expect patriotism.

I, personally, would like the park to go back to their old 20 minute show, entirely created for the 4th. Even the city where I live has a 20-minute fireworks presentation. Nothing was more moving than when they played the hymns of each of the branches of service while the fireworks boomed overhead. I remember seeing tears in my dad's eyes, years ago, as they played "Anchors Away". First, the show was cut from its full length and now is presented as a 3 or 4 minute "finale" to the Believe show. Second, the idea of honoring our military has been excluded completely. Many people might disagree with me, but I think it is sad.

cstephens
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Germboy
I have to disagree with you, cstephens, about the July 4th presentation you are talking about (I think the one right before Sept. 11th, right?). There is a link to it on another website, by the way. I downloaded it from there (and was also at the park when it played) and played it for friends and family. All of us commented that the music was completely uninspiring. I don't particularly care for "Golden Dreams," even when it was installed briefly at Lincoln.

Well, you and I disagree about Believe also, so that's ok.

I do know that when we saw it (I forget what year now - whichever was the first Fourth of July after Believe started), we were sitting with a bunch of friends and others, all of whom were Disney fireworks veterans and expecting the tired old "patiotic salute", and we were figuring that the little bit would be so out of place and unimpressive after Believe, and then they whipped out this fabulous show, and during the extra bit and at the end, many of us were in tears and/or applauding wildly.

dshimel
06-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Last year I was in DL for the 4th of July. First time I'd seen DL fireworks in about 5 years. I was in tears at the end of Believe, but the lady I was with was left flat. By the end of the 4th special, she was the one in tears, and I found it a horrid let down from Blieve.

Different strokes.

I'm just glad the different folks that DCA was built for didn't show up, and now Disney is re-making it into my kind of park.

mrfantasmic
06-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Well, the crowds are ALWAYS large on the 4th.. That and veterans day.
But the fireworks with the special ending are always worth it... you might want to check and see if fantasmic is going that night too... it usually runs too, but i think they put a bit more oomph into it