PDA

View Full Version : Hungry for *Good* Food

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyphile
06-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Ok, does anyone else miss some of the DL restaurants of yester-year?

My now-dead favorites were:

The *old* Plaza Inn - when the selection was vast and displayed before our very eyes on that old rotating caroussel in the center, including great meals like pot roast (the current stuff just isn't the same), all kinds of salads, and that wonderful tortilla sandwich.

Tahitian Terrace - yummy food, good entertainment, and I especially miss the flaming volcano sundae.

And of course, the Big Thunder BBQ - I have such fond memories of yummy pork ribs while dining under the stars in the wonderfully themed wagon camp, complete with roaring fire and lanterns, giving it that perfect western feel.

I truly miss the good days of dining at DL. I wish they'd bring back the magical dining experiences, making them atrractions in themselves. Even my most recept trip to the Blue Bayou a few months ago was not up to par, with our server rushing us, and then bringing the check without even asking us if we'd like dessert. :mad:

Each restaurant used to be so unique, and now it seems like they only serve one or all of the following - burgers, pizza, and fried chicken. :(

AVP
06-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
And of course, the Big Thunder BBQ - I have such fond memories of yummy pork ribs while dining under the stars in the wonderfully themed wagon camp, complete with roaring fire and lanterns, giving it that perfect western feel.

Oh, now I'm sad again. I have such amazingly fond memories of that place and time.

AVP

06-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Sunkist, I Presume in Adventureland for orange juice, of course

Welch's in Fantasyland for grape popsicles

cstephens
06-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
Ok, does anyone else miss some of the DL restaurants of yester-year?

Hmmmm, where should I begin?

Casa Mex - We ate there at least once every two weeks. I miss being one of Sue's annual passholders. We weren't able to be around for Casa's last day, but a friend was able to get us buttons from the final day, and a few of us managed to get a t-shirt that was made for Casa's closing crew.

Big Thunder BBQ - A few weeks ago, some of us lamented that it was perfect cool, cloudy weather for Big Thunder. We happened to be there on the last day it was open and were able to get a mug commemorating its closing. Wish we'd gotten more of them. One of my favorite memories of the place is sitting at a table having lunch with a group of friends, with one particular friend singing us the song about the biggest ball of twine...

Harbor Galley (the real one) - Fish and Chips. And Mickey cheese.

Hungry Bear - Back when they made good burgers and even had a bacon cheeseburger combo for a reasonable price.

Cafe Orleans - Cajun Chicken Caesar Salad was one of my favorite things. So, of course, they took it away.

Plaza Inn - I miss the kettle favorites. Loved those.

Plaza Pavilion - Miss the pasta there. What they brought over to Plaza Inn isn't quite the same.

And at DCA:

Avalon Cove Bar - Mmmmm, sushi and clam chowder.

Avalon Cove - Mmmmm, a bucket of steamers and a whole steamed lobster.

Lucky Fortune Cookery - Mmmm, tasty noodle soup and dim sum.

Farmer's Market - Mmmm, wraps, and fruit on the side as well.

Soap Opera Bistro - Mmmmm, what a great place.

Who's up for on off-site trip to Fuddrucker's instead? :rolleyes:

Lost Boy
06-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Morning Breakfast at Aunt Jemima's Old Fashioned Pancake House.

Lunch at the Chicken Restaraunt in Fronteirland.

or at The Starkist Tuna sponsered Pirate Ship in Fantastyland.

Dinner at the Original Plaza Inn. Or at Casa Mex.

Those were good eatin' days.

Too bad all they can cook up now is stale chicken, burgers or pizza.

Morrigoon
06-24-2003, 12:37 PM
cstephens.... you know she's @r2p2 now, don't you?

raider
06-24-2003, 01:02 PM
[i]
[/B] I second this! I completely miss the whole Big Thunder BBQ dining experience. Good food, Great atmosphere. I miss the campfire most of all! :crying:

hbquikcomjamesl
06-24-2003, 01:14 PM
The last time I checked, the French Market was still there, and was still buffeteria (please, don't tell me it's gone food court!). The River Belle seemed to be OK when I had breakfast there, last July. And of course, the Blue Bayou is still there. And hopefully, now that the dust has settled on Wolfgang's former establishment, they too have comfort food at decent prices (I guess I'll find out a week from Friday!).

But I was a bit irritated when the Plaza Inn went food court, and Carnation Main St. got split up, and the old Town Square Cafe/American Egg House went bye-bye. And even though I'd rather have hemorrhoid surgery than watch a soap opera, I was positively in mourning when SOB was closed to make room for Playhouse Disney (like they couldn't have done away with a storefront?!?).

cemeinke
06-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Having never gone to the park during the 90's I seem to have missed the food renaisance that appartently took place. Actually I was rather surprised when returning to the park at the variety and yes, improved quality of the food there. The Disneyland of my childhood is mostly filled with the same bland burgers and fries sporting different land-themed names. Anyone for a Pluto Corn Dog?

cstephens
06-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
cstephens.... you know she's @r2p2 now, don't you?

I know she went there after Casa closed and Pizza Port first opened. We didn't see her for a while, and then we ran into her one day, and she mentioned that she wasn't working Sundays anymore. The last time I saw her was during the Divas event a couple of years ago, when the dinner was held at Pizza Port. I figured she wasn't there anymore because I can't believe she'd allow the price gouging that's going on with the pizza salad there now.

chlee
06-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Who's up for on off-site trip to Fuddrucker's instead? :rolleyes:

there's a fuddruckers by disneyland?!? where?

JeffG
06-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by chlee
there's a fuddruckers by disneyland?!? where?

The nearest one is on Beach Blvd. in Buena Park, just up the road from Knotts Berry Farm.

-Jeff

Morrigoon
06-25-2003, 10:16 AM
cstephens: just saw her the other day, she's still there :)

hbquikcomjamesl
06-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Having never gone to the park during the 90's I seem to have missed the food renais[s]ance that appartently took place.Missed the what? Perhaps your parents just weren't up for the buffeteria or table-service houses, because in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, I grew up on the fried chicken and the yellow-gravy hot turkey sandwiches at the French Market. And if you go back before my time, there was the Swift Chicken Plantation, which was so close to the site that would eventually become the HM, that some people remember it as being the same site (and indeed, even the same building). We never ate fast food at DL, because I dislike sesame buns (and refused to eat them at all, back then), and because I eat my hamburgers either completely plain (except for a bit of salt and pepper), or with grilled onions, salt, pepper, and nothing else. (Note: During last November's trip to WDW, on the day I found out the hard way that 1900 Park Fare isn't open for lunch, I had a hamburger at that place in WDW-MK Frontierland, right next to the CBJ exit [by that time, I was about ready to eat my guidemap], and found that their burgers were rather decent, and they had GRILLED ONIONS on the condiment bar.)

Incidentally, I really don't get the appeal of raw onions: they have practically no flavor at all, and the aftereffects are far more intense than those of any kind of cooked onions.

cstephens
06-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
cstephens: just saw her the other day, she's still there :)

Actually, that makes me sad. That means she is part of the pizza salad price gouging. :(

mad4mky
06-25-2003, 01:50 PM
I too miss the Big Thunder BBQ. We always ate there...
As well as the Casa Mex place.

I truly dislike the food now at the Rancho del whatever it is....ick.

And, I miss those pork sandwhiches at the BBQ....hmmmm....so good....:(

bubsy
06-25-2003, 01:53 PM
I loved Big Thunder BBQ, except for the bees.

I now only eat Mickey mouse Pretzels with cheese, and it used to be only from Brer Bar, but alas no longer. They aren't even any good, but it's what I do.

sleepyjeff
06-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Back when I was a kid the American Egg House had lines longer than Space Mountain---and Space Mountain was brand new back than---I wish they would get those pesky carts that sell sub-par food off the crowded walkways and bring back a part of Disneyland that is missed by all..........Quality food at well themed Restuarants. It would make millions of people happy and would not cost near as much as an E-ticket attraction!

MontanaKC
07-06-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
And even though I'd rather have hemorrhoid surgery than watch a soap opera, I was positively in mourning when SOB was closed to make room for Playhouse Disney (like they couldn't have done away with a storefront?!?).

I was surprised that it stayed open as long as it did. I went right away when it first opened and thought it was wonderful. OK - a little pricey, but the food was terrific. Everyone at the table had something different and everyone loved it. The staff was enthusiastic and fun, playing their parts and engaging nearly every table into the act.

The next time I was there, the menu had practically been cut in half. I had a hard time deciding what to eat (and I'm not that picky). I don't remember what I had, but I do remember thinking that it was "just ok". One of my companions had ordered a "pizza", and when it came it wasn't pizza dough or crust - it was just like a crispy tortilla shell, or large cracker, with toppings on it. I was very glad that I wasn't there with my kids that day, because if one of them had ordered that "pizza", I'm sure they wouldn't have eaten it when it arrived. As for the staff, no interaction like on our first outing. Our waitress was good, no complaints with her, but it was just missing the fun of the first trip. Nothing special at all.

Suffice it to say that I was very disappointed in my second visit.

My third (and last) visit was during one of their Super Soap Weekend events. They charged a minimum $15 per person, no matter what you ordered, and enforced a strict, one hour time limit, and then you were rushed out.

I never returned after that, and when it closed I was not surprised.

julgraham
07-06-2003, 10:20 AM
I miss the fresh cotton candy, made right before your eyes, with a few sprinkles thrown in

dsnylndmom
07-06-2003, 01:22 PM
I miss the Monorail Cafe back at the hotel :(

I loved eating there.

cstephens
07-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Soap Opera Bistro breakfast (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/bistro050501.html). *sigh*

Dlandmom
07-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Soap Opera Bistro breakfast (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/bistro050501.html). *sigh*

Oh, man, I'm bumming that I didn't get a chance to try that before they closed!

millionairegirl
07-07-2003, 01:36 PM
You guys are bumming me out! You know what I miss, I miss the curly fries from the Harbor Galley. Man those were good. Now when I walk by the people eating the McDonald's fries I get very upset.

I am also missing the Soap Opera Bistro. We used to eat dinner, and then get our dessert to go to watch the ELP. I guess I will have to try the Vineyard Room before they also close.

Why can't DLR be more like WDW in the sense that every park has different sit down options. I mean DL only has Blue Bayou. I know there isn't really room for more, but geesh it makes me feel like DL is the ugly stepchild of WDW.

Fantasmic Fan
07-07-2003, 01:49 PM
DL has two table service restaurants, Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe.

Question for all of you who have eaten at the Vineyard Room, what's it like? I've never eaten there and I don't know what to expect. Can someone give me a low down on the restuarant, please?