PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland invites select passholders to Candlelight Processional experience

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVP
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
From my MousePlanet Blog (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?925-Disneyland-invites-select-passholders-to-Candlelight-Processional-experience):

A Disneyland annual passholder just forwarded a letter they received from the Resort, inviting them to an exclusive Candlelight Processional experience December 4 & 5, 2011.

The experience kicks off with a welcome reception and dinner at the Grand Californian Hotel the evening of Sunday, December 4, followed by reserved seating for the 8pm Candlelight Processional.

Monday morning (December 5, Walt Disney's birthday), guests attend a sunrise breakfast at the Plaza Inn, and take a pre-opening tour of Disneyland with Disney Legends and creative staff, including Dave Smith, Tony Baxter, Bob Gurr, Marty Sklar and David Caranci.

Event guests also receive reserved seating for A Christmas Fantasy Parade, and a tour of Walt's apartment above the Main Street Fire Station. The two-day event includes a one-night stay at the Grand Californian Hotel, and is $2500 per couple. Additional guests can be added for $1000 per person, but must share the same hotel room.

The passholder who received this particular invitation is a Premier passholder who has not visited Disneyland "in a while," but we don't know from this one example what particular passholder demographic Disney is targeting for this specific event.

After offering Candlelight dining package for several years, Disney went a different direction in 2009, creating a $275-per-person Candlelight event exclusively for D23 members. There was no dining package in 2010, save for the traditional reserved seating for Club 33 members and guests of the Resort's Public Relations department.

With what was reportedly a lackluster response to the D23 event, I can say I'm honestly surprised Disney went so far above that pricepoint when crafting this new package, but admit that there are some very nice, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities in this offering.

What is your reaction to this offer? Has Disney completely missed the mark with this $2500 package, or is the experience worth the price?

We would also love to hear from other readers who received this offer - what type of pass do you hold, and how frequently and recently have you visited Disneyland?

SigalTchelet
11-14-2011, 10:25 PM
A little pricey for my pocketbook. Also, what about those of us who are single/don't have a friend or partner to join us. It sounds really awesome but some of us can't afford to spend the night at GCH at this time. Maybe save up for next year.

cstephens
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
It sounds really awesome but some of us can't afford to spend the night at GCH at this time. Maybe save up for next year.

Then if you got the invitation, you'd decline. Not everyone can afford everything Disney offers. It looks like they're testing to see what kind of response they get. I'm curious as to how they're picking who to send the invite to.

Interesting that the main carrot they're dangling is the visit to Walt's apartment. The tour with the Legends would be cool too, but there are actually lots of opportunities to meet/talk to them. There aren't many chances to actually visit Walt's apartment.

BelieveInTheMagic
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I received the offer. I maintain a Premium AP. I'm also a D23 member. I also organize a large Meetup group that holds at least one meeting a month at Disneyland. I personally go to the park 2-4 times a month, but I don't just skate on the pass and I usually buy a meal and often buy some pins or other merchandise. To me, the offer was quite inappropriate. I live 20 minutes away from DLR, so a hotel room has no appeal to me. Meals at the Plaza Inn and Napa Rose are also available to me anytime. Sure, I'd enjoy VIP seating for the Candlelight Processional, but it actually wouldn't work for me as I'll have 30 or so people from my Meetup group with me that night. And, not to reveal Too Much Information, but $2500 is a lot of money to me personally, as I'm sure it is to many folks.

Plus, I note that the narrator for the Candlelight Procession has not yet been announced.

So, in answer to your question, for myself the $2500 is way off the mark, as I could enjoy the Candlelight Processional, the holiday parade, a nice dinner at Napa Rose, and a breakfast at Plaza Inn for less than 1/10th of that amount. I do note that the package additionally includes an undefined "evening of holiday elegance," "exclusive 2011 Candlelight mementos," "a visit to several locations in the Park with some Disney Legends and Creative Staff as they share their stories about Walt Disney, DisneylandŽ Park, and the magic of the holiday season - guest speakers currently scheduled include Dave Smith, Bob Gurr, Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, and David Caranci (speakers subject to change)", and a "visit to Walt Disney’s private apartment above the firehouse on Main Street, U.S.A." Are those extras worth an additional $2,250 (considering also that most of these speakers have also been otherwise available in the last year at other events - as cstephens notes, the big exclusive seems to be a visit to Walt's apartment)? No, not to me.

Rob Hall

nbaum
11-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow, that is expensive.

SigalTchelet
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Then if you got the invitation, you'd decline. Not everyone can afford everything Disney offers. It looks like they're testing to see what kind of response they get. I'm curious as to how they're picking who to send the invite to.

Interesting that the main carrot they're dangling is the visit to Walt's apartment. The tour with the Legends would be cool too, but there are actually lots of opportunities to meet/talk to them. There aren't many chances to actually visit Walt's apartment.

AVP posted: What is your reaction to this offer? Has Disney completely missed the mark with this $2500 package, or is the experience worth the price?

And I was simply commenting it was a bit pricey. I was just stating my opinion. I also commented that it was only for two people-no options for Singles. I am a Deluxe APholder. I did not get an invite to any of these events. I was at DLR for 3 days last month for the Halloween party and CHOC walk. I had not been since last may and won't be going until next May.

KarenW2
11-15-2011, 12:21 AM
While we were happy to plunk down the amount for Sorcerer tickets for this year's D23 Expo, that package came with a lot of great perks that really made the Expo an enjoyable experience, compared to what we had at the first Expo, back in 2009.

The amount of this Candlelight package for what they're offering in it is too little for too much money to me! We liked it much better when they used to offer the various tiers of dining packages in years past, that from what we heard, went over very well, with lots of sell-outs, shortly after the tickets became available online (tho they had LOTS of problems with their servers!).

I guess they didn't learn from the ridiculous price they had the Candlelight package offered to D23 members last year, that we and many others passed on!!

cstephens
11-15-2011, 05:26 AM
a nice dinner at Napa Rose

Just curious - do you know for sure that "dinner at the Grand Californian Hotel" is definitely at Napa Rose or are you just making an assumption? In previous years, the Candlelight dining packages also included Storytellers. When I read that, I didn't necessarily even think dinner was at one of the restaurants since they could just as easily simply cater a meal in one of the ballrooms.

I wonder how many people they're intending to accept in this offer. That would probably be a good indication of where dinner might be held.

Malcon10t
11-15-2011, 05:52 AM
While there are some great offers in the package, the pricepoint is way to high for the offering. I am sure there will a few takers.

Spazz
11-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I wish I knew how they selected passholders for these new passholder events. My sister and I are both PAP and neither of us has been invited to any of the events so far. We live in Nor Cal and we make a 3-4 day trip to Disneyland every about every 2 months sometimes every month. We usually stay at Paradise Pier and we eat all of our meals on property either in the parks or at one of the restaurants in the hotels. We also shop a lot at WOD and at the shops in the park. I am also a member of D23 and have attended several of the D23 experiences including the tour at the studios and archives this past month. My point is that we spend a lot of money at Disneyland Resort. I could afford this Candlelight experience, but I didn't get an invite. I am lucky to say that I am very blessed in this life. Now, I agree the price tag of $2500 is a bit expensive, but for the rare opportunity to tour Walt's appartment - I would be all over it. So Disney, if you are reading this, send me an invite. I would do it!

lovechows
11-15-2011, 06:33 AM
We've been looking forward to Candlelight all year and were getting ready to upgrade our AP passes from Premium to Premier in a couple weeks. I have two reactions to this: First, considering the economy, I think this is way off base and so against Walt's principles of keeping Disney's parks affordable that I wouldn't pay that price for those reasons alone. Secondly, we are starting to feel very left out in these invitations. We're in the group in the middle. We go to the park 6-8 times a year but we always eat at the restaurants, buy merchandise and at this point are starting to wonder why we're being left out in the demographics (why is Disney targeting people who hardly go at all or who go every week and leaving out those of us who are only able to go 6+ times a year?). I wouldn't mind it if they sent invitations and then we took our chances on being chosen in the lottery but to see that TDA is not even going to market to us is very disappointing.

Please bear in mind that these comments are coming because we also weren't invited to the AP party last night or other recent events. Now we weren't invited to Candlelight either. It seems like Disney doesn't value us. And, here, we're planning our 10th anniversary trip to WDW in 3+ weeks. I'm thinking "why are we planning to spend our hard earned money going to a resort where the Disney execs don't seem to care a bit about us?" I love Disney and it really is disappointing that they don't seem to care a bit for us.

Having said all of that, I do want you to know how much we appreciate all of the effort people on the MP board have made to help people who have been left out. But I hope TDA stops this exclusive marketing and follows Walt's dream.

BelieveInTheMagic
11-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Just curious - do you know for sure that "dinner at the Grand Californian Hotel" is definitely at Napa Rose or are you just making an assumption? In previous years, the Candlelight dining packages also included Storytellers. When I read that, I didn't necessarily even think dinner was at one of the restaurants since they could just as easily simply cater a meal in one of the ballrooms.

I wonder how many people they're intending to accept in this offer. That would probably be a good indication of where dinner might be held.

I'm assuming on the dinner location, as I would perceive anything besides Napa Rose (including Storytellers or a meal served in a ballroom) as a step down in value. The actual verbiage from the invite was "An evening of holiday elegance beginning with a private reception and dinner at Disney’s Grand Californian HotelŽ & Spa."

Rob Hall

BelieveInTheMagic
11-15-2011, 07:20 AM
I wish I knew how they selected passholders for these new passholder events.

For the parties in October on the 12th and 17th, you had to make an application. We found out about that from the Disney Parks blog. The party yesterday was not, as far as I know, announced on the blog. I don't know where they drew the names for that, but it may have been from names previously submitted for the October parties.

Rob Hall

3Princesses1Prince
11-15-2011, 07:26 AM
We've been looking forward to Candlelight all year and were getting ready to upgrade our AP passes from Premium to Premier in a couple weeks. I have two reactions to this: First, considering the economy, I think this is way off base and so against Walt's principles of keeping Disney's parks affordable that I wouldn't pay that price for those reasons alone. Secondly, we are starting to feel very left out in these invitations. We're in the group in the middle. We go to the park 6-8 times a year but we always eat at the restaurants, buy merchandise and at this point are starting to wonder why we're being left out in the demographics (why is Disney targeting people who hardly go at all or who go every week and leaving out those of us who are only able to go 6+ times a year?). I wouldn't mind it if they sent invitations and then we took our chances on being chosen in the lottery but to see that TDA is not even going to market to us is very disappointing.

Please bear in mind that these comments are coming because we also weren't invited to the AP party last night or other recent events. Now we weren't invited to Candlelight either. It seems like Disney doesn't value us. And, here, we're planning our 10th anniversary trip to WDW in 3+ weeks. I'm thinking "why are we planning to spend our hard earned money going to a resort where the Disney execs don't seem to care a bit about us?" I love Disney and it really is disappointing that they don't seem to care a bit for us.

Having said all of that, I do want you to know how much we appreciate all of the effort people on the MP board have made to help people who have been left out. But I hope TDA stops this exclusive marketing and follows Walt's dream.
You are far from the only ones being excluded. The "target AP group" they are supposedly sending these emails out to are just rumors for the most part. I don't recall DISNEY saying that these were the target groups (though I could've missed it in a Disneyblog) but things stated on sites like Mousechat. There are over 800,000 AP holders I doubt all the frequent or infrequent visitors have been targeted. I do know some that frequent Disney at the same frequency as you that have received invites. Along with brand new AP holders, weekly visitors, and those that have only used their AP on the trip they purchased it.

As far as the price point....WOW! Waaaaaaay out of our realm of possibility. I think they demographics they are targeting is pretty small in this economy and on such short notice. Sure, they'll be a few takers.

cstephens
11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
so against Walt's principles of keeping Disney's parks affordable

I think that's unfair to say in the context of this package. This is a premium package with premium offerings, some of which are not available to the general public. However, simply visiting the parks themselves is completely different, and anyone can attend Candlelight without paying anything beyond admission.

The party yesterday was not, as far as I know, announced on the blog. I don't know where they drew the names for that, but it may have been from names previously submitted for the October parties.

Rob Hall

Yeah, I thought that might be the case as well, but when I asked that question to the people who got invites for the party last night, most of them responded that they had not even submitted a request for the Soundsational events.

currence
11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Having dealt with the computer fiasco the last time they attempted to sell Candlelight tickets to the general public, I am certainly all for them approaching a different tactic. I don't even mind the price (though I wouldn't pay it at this stage in my life). I just wish they would be a bit more open about what their criteria was so that when I get to a stage in life where I do want to go, I can increase my chances of receiving an invitation.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were targeting people who had done the after-hours merchandise events in the past, since those can be quite expensive, or perhaps people who hit a spending threshold over a specific period. I have no problem with them stating that since they cannot accommodate everyone, they preselected those who they felt would be most likely to pay to play. But again, it would be nice if they gave a hint as to their qualifying criteria so that the rest of us could adapt our behavior if it was important to us. Or, let it be a modified lottery and let everyone who wants to spend that kind of money register, with spaces saved for those who meet their criteria and the remaining spaces, if any, given to the rest of us. If that did that, even if the pre-qualified people took up all the spaces and no one was selected from the lottery, had I entered the lottery I would assume that I just got unlucky and not that I was excluded. I don't like being excluded, ironically not even from things that I have no desire to go to.

houseofmouse
11-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Way too pricey. But if there were tiers it may be more doable to some people. That amount is almost half of the money we need to go to WDW for a week!
I don't know if they are getting greedy, have to pay Tony Baxter and company a butt load of money to come or if they are just testing waters but wow $2500.00???

wwomant
11-15-2011, 08:45 AM
To me, the timing of this offer is the strangest part. It's two days during the holiday season, and quite expensive, and they're giving the invitees just a few week's notice?

I'm sure some will be excited about the offer. I would bet though that there are more who were irritated with the offer than that will book the experience.

Rosepins
11-15-2011, 08:50 AM
this is one of the few AP events that i'm actually GLAD i didn't get an invite too! not that i wouldn't love the opportunity for such an exclusive experience, but $2500?!? Really?
that's almost 2 months rent for me! plus with less than 1 pay-period notice? really?!?!
it'd be heartbreaking to have to decline and hit the delete button because of such an outrageous price tag.
fyi, i'm a premium passholder, monthly payments, i go to the parks about 5 times a month (or more if i have time) and went to the Soundsational event, but didn't get an invite for last night.

olegc
11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
i have no insight into the demographic models their using - but I do think they are trying a bunch of different ones. so if you have not received one yet I don't think you should feel undervalued - yet. It's only been since Soundsational event that they have done these private AP events. that's only been a couple of months. my thought would be that folks in marketing and events take a chance on who they think would take advantage of what they are planning. I remember sending Disneyland an email to the feedback for AP email about having targeted marketing for us Premium pass holders - and now 6 years later they finally have started (not because of me - but they finally got around to it). that being said they can't have so many events that they'll hit at least one of each of the 800,000 passholders already.

On price - since Disney announced earnings were quite healthy and up a good percentage at all theme parks I am not surprised that they chose a higher price point - and to me some of these luxury events will tie in a stay at a hotel room to do two things. 1) make sure you get to the morning event (it will be early) and 2) give it some perceived value. That value will be different based on who you are- so as others have done they have said "to me....." to comment on their price point.

I think it will take them quite a while to figure out some sort of tiered approach to events - and i think it would be fascinating to look at the marketing markers - zip codes? per visit spend? annual spend? number of visits? number of times at another event (did they even track the Pirates event in 2000? :p ). It would be neat to know - but then they'd reveal their secret sauce.. Maybe they're using IBM's Watson to figure all this out...... nah!

lowfidelity
11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I received an invite and I am a Premium Passholder with the monthly payment option. I only visit the parks about once a month but I shop at DTD maybe 4 or 5 times a month whipping out my pass for any and all discounts :-). Considering how much this package costs, which btw has completely priced me out, this may be a factor but who knows.

Not to say that I don't think its worth it because it is and I would love to go. I just can't afford it. I suspect this to be the case for a lot of passholders.

Spazz
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I received an invite and I am a Premium Passholder with the monthly payment option. I only visit the parks about once a month but I shop at DTD maybe 4 or 5 times a month whipping out my pass for any and all discounts :-). Considering how much this package costs, which btw has completely priced me out, this may be a factor but who knows.

Not to say that I don't think its worth it because it is and I would love to go. I just can't afford it. I suspect this to be the case for a lot of passholders.

Does anyone know if these invites are transferable? If you got one and can't go, could myself and my guest take your place/invite? I can afford to go and I want to go, but I didn't get an invite. Is there any way to contact the Disney people in charge of this event and ask for an invite? Just wondering how I can make this happen. My sister's birthday is in December and this would be an awesome birthday gift for her. If any of you got the invite and can't go would you be willing to forward the e-mail on to me?

Thank you!

Malcon10t
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know if these invites are transferable? If you got one and can't go, could myself and my guest take your place/invite? I can afford to go and I want to go, but I didn't get an invite. Is there any way to contact the Disney people in charge of this event and ask for an invite? Just wondering how I can make this happen. My sister's birthday is in December and this would be an awesome birthday gift for her. If any of you got the invite and can't go would you be willing to forward the e-mail on to me?

Thank you!The past invites have been non-transferable. It would be interesting to see how this one reads.

cstephens
11-15-2011, 01:41 PM
The past invites have been non-transferable. It would be interesting to see how this one reads.

I would be surprised if this was transferable - seems to me that would defeat the purpose. I did notice that you can add people to the package as long as they stay in your room. How many people can you squeeze into one GCH room? ;)

3Princesses1Prince
11-15-2011, 02:09 PM
I would be surprised if this was transferable - seems to me that would defeat the purpose. I did notice that you can add people to the package as long as they stay in your room. How many people can you squeeze into one GCH room? ;)