PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic [Waves]

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailMan
06-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Accoring to today's updatem, looks like the Wizard Acrobats are now proforming on Cosmic Waves. :)

Actually, I think that this is a great spot, and "livens" up Tomorrowland a bit! Smart Move Disney. And using the Rocket Rods/PeopleMover loding station as a speaker holder, is another good idea. We wouldn't want it to host a attraction or anything. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer
06-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Are there any attractions in that part of the park???:~D

jerjer2005
06-23-2003, 11:31 PM
of course there are lol. I personally spend most of my time in tomorrowland (pin trader). so i hear the buzz show about 3 times everytime i visit. To infinity and beyonddddddddddd!

i love the title of this post by the way lol

I think it is a great addition, they made a very stritigic move... with the x games coming to DCA they have that part of entertainment taken care of. and to bring people into tomorrowland and make it look not so empty they have the acrobats now! once again great move disney!

Darkbeer
06-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Pin Trading is an attraction... NOOOOOOOOOOOO...........:eek:

Next thing you will be telling me is that Space Mountain's sign is also an attraction, or maybe the Coca-Cola Rocket......:rolleyes:

But, you know, I can't wait for St. Joseph Hospital's new attraction in Innoventions.....(yeah, right, another commercial...)

SzczerbiakManiac
06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
MonorailMan wrote:
:~D Cosmic SlavesMM, while I get the pun, I'd venture to say there are a fair amount of people for whom the issue of slavery is a very touchy subject that wouldn't find the thread title funny at all.

Disneyphile
06-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
I'd venture to say there are a fair amount of people for whom the issue of slavery is a very touchy subject that wouldn't find the thread title funny at all.

*straps on her crash helmet to get ready for a HUGE foreseen derailment*

:rolleyes:

"Slave" is also a computer networking term. :p Maybe the pun is meant to be fit in with the "hi-tech" theme of Tomorrowland. ;)(Somebody out there is always going to be "sensitive" to something - tell the same sentence to 5 different people, and you'll get 7 different opinions.) ;)

Anyway, back on topic...

I see this as a desperate attempt to make Tomorrowland more "exciting", just like the wonderful recycled trash heap atop the old rockets platform. It spins. It makes noise. Ooooh, aaaaaah. I just hope they do something more exciting with Tomorrowland, and soon!

MonorailMan
06-26-2003, 03:50 PM
At the time I made the post, I didn't even associate the fact they were African-American, to the title. It was just, well, a play on words, that the fact their in Tomorrowland now. No harm meant. :)

halestorm
06-26-2003, 04:32 PM
MM, while I get the pun, I'd venture to say there are a fair amount of people for whom the issue of slavery is a very touchy subject that wouldn't find the thread title funny at all.

Only on mouseplanet. :rolleyes:

hbquikcomjamesl
06-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Do "Cosmic Slaves" have anything to do with the Leather Goddesses of Phobos? (http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/lgop.html)

DisneyFan25863
06-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Do "Cosmic Slaves" have anything to do with the Leather Goddesses of Phobos? (http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/lgop.html)

:confused:

cstephens
06-26-2003, 06:08 PM

I had that game and used to love it! I was so addicted to that. It was one of those where I'd figure I'd play for a few minutes before I went to bed, started at 10pm, and the next time I looked up, it was 2am. :eek: I lent the disks to someone, though, and they never returned it, so I just have the empty box lying around somewhere. :(

mrfantasmic
06-26-2003, 08:40 PM
The area has been dead ever since the observatron has reduced its singing, the Rocket Rods have stopped zooming, and Space Mountain has stopped beckoning... The Cosmic Dudes add a bit of mystery and wonder, don't you think?

IndyBones
06-26-2003, 11:52 PM
Wow, this topic is still alive and unmoderated. I'm sorry but I find the title of this topic inappropriate (even though it may not be intended) and to me it shows how loose moderation is on these forums. If you don't moderate this, what do you moderate?

It isn't funny guys.

Carry on.

Andrew
06-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by IndyBones
Wow, this topic is still alive and unmoderated. I'm sorry but I find the title of this topic inappropriate (even though it may not be intended) and to me it shows how loose moderation is on these forums. If you don't moderate this, what do you moderate?

Don't think we're not watching. We're always watching (obligatory muahahaha). If you feel a post or thread violates any of MousePad's Community Policies, please use the "Report this post to a moderator" link found in every post. I assure you we read and discuss every report, and take appropriate action.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-27-2003, 07:34 AM
"DisneyFan25863" seemed :confused: confused :confused: by my reference to Leather Goddesses of Phobos. It's an old computer adventure game, back from the days when computer adventure games had interesting (and often witty) text, instead of slick graphics. This one in particular was a sci-fi spoof that involved trying to keep the title characters from raiding Earth for sex-slaves, and could be played at 3 different "naughtiness levels," corresponding to "G," "PG," and "R" movie ratings. The story goes that people kept asking the folks at Infocom when they'd come out with a "graphic game," and they decided to come out with a game that was, uh, "graphic."

To "cstephens":
Glad somebody else on this list remembers Infocom games (I played Zork Zero on the train, during my last vacation. Tried to on a vacation before that, but didn't bring enough of the props along, and couldn't remember the solutions to the puzzles that required them. [Infocom's copy-protection scheme was to include difficult-to-duplicate props in the box, then put puzzles into the games that couldn't be solved without them]).

What "naughtiness level" did you usually play LGOP at, "cstephens"? "Tame," "suggestive," or "lewd"?

cstephens
06-27-2003, 11:03 AM
What "naughtiness level" did you usually play LGOP at, "cstephens"? "Tame," "suggestive," or "lewd"?

You know, I don't remember. I think I tried it on all three and didn't think the lewd was all that bad, meaning it wasn't that much more fun, so I didn't much care about the naughtiness level after that. I just remember being stuck in the cage in the professor's lab because I forgot to get something. :rolleyes:

AVP
06-27-2003, 12:48 PM

It isn't funny guys.

Carry on.

Wow - I never thought I'd hear anyone complain that our moderation policies are loose.

You're right, we didn't find it funny either. On the off chance that there actually was another reference we were all missing, we gave the OP a chance to explain to us what he meant by his reference. He has replied - both in this thread and privately - and we have edited the thread and the post.

AVP

Someone You Dont Know
06-27-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm sorry

:rolleyes: Agreed.

The rampant hypersensitivity in this world is growing tiresome. If you read the actual post, you'd realize nothing negative was meant by the title MonorailMan chose. And to suggest that the moderators are slipping on the job because they didn't kill a thread that had maintained its topic is just foolish, IMHO.

Karlos the Jackal
06-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Quick point -- I don't think the Wizard Acrobats are African-American, I think (according to Google) that they are full African, from Kenya.

I don't think it's at all hypersensitive to react badly to someone using the word "slaves" to refer to a group of Black people (Africans or not).

But -- MM claims he said it in all innocence -- I don't know him other than through these boards, but I'm perfectly willing to believe him. And the thread title's been changed.

So I guess, especially given that I don't do much more than lurk here, I should just let sleeping dogs lie, but I just really wanted to back up Indy a little bit.

--K

HBTiggerFan
06-27-2003, 10:18 PM
And I thought that the name reffered to someone having to preform in the Cosmic Waves area, since it is now nothing but a giant marble and there is little/nothing to do in TL.

I know MM, and I 110% believe there was no misintent by the title of this thread.

Someone You Dont Know
06-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Karlos the Jackal
I don't think it's at all hypersensitive to react badly to someone using the word "slaves" to refer to a group of Black people (Africans or not).

I just feel it was *obvious* that MM meant nothing bad by the comment. IMHO, Indy was wrong for trying to turn something innocent into something ugly.

IndyBones
06-28-2003, 12:24 AM
I just feel it was *obvious* that MM meant nothing bad by the comment. IMHO, Indy was wrong for trying to turn something innocent into something ugly.

Okay then someone explain the joke. I'm still not getting it. What do "slaves" have to do with tomorrowland?

(and i'm not buying "networking term")

MonorailMan
06-28-2003, 06:47 AM
Face it, Tommorowland is a wasteland right now. We have 5 attractions. Astro Obitor, Innoventions, Autopia, Star Tours, and the Monorail. We have empty lagoons, track, and a shuttered space mountain for 2 years. That area of the park is usually dead. So, now they go from semi-dead DCA, to useally empty Tommorowland.

So, in terms, I wouldn't like to be stuck, doing a show in Tommorwland, with so much that not there. :) :geek:

MammaSilva
06-28-2003, 06:50 AM
I think that the topic of the former thread title has been exhausted... nothing to see here.. move on.

Ghoulish Delight
06-28-2003, 09:07 AM
Attempting to get this train back on it's tracks...

I have mixed feelings about the troup's move to Cosmic Waves. On the one hand, so much for theming 'eh? I mean, acrobatics and limbo, not exactly the wave of the future. On the otherhand, I love atmosphering entertainment like that. Little shows that you can just stroll by and either watch or not. Merlin's Sword in the Stone show is the perfect example. Chance to Shine at DCA was also a good one. It's something that WDW, as I remember it from my trip at 6 years old, had more of. I would love it if Disneyland made an effort to add little, themed, street show skits like that. Stugg that doesn't a true "venue', that doesn't have a line up, that people don't camp out for, and maybe even doesn't have a published schedule. I like being able to stumble across entertainment.