PDA

View Full Version : DL Candy Cane Dates

Pages : [1] 2 3

tea4two
11-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Disney Parks Blog announced this year's candy cane dates:
11/30, 12/02, 12/06, 12/09, 12/12, 12/16, 12/21.
Hope this info helps those who are planning to get a candy cane this holiday season! :)

MadasaHatter
11-09-2011, 11:12 PM
So some CANDY CANE tips here.....

I went to DL for a day and a half last year and my arrival date was a CANDY CANE day. BONUS. I walked into the park JUST in TIME to see them being made. I mean JUST IN TIME. THere was quite a crowd around but not more than about 30 ppl around (there really couldn't be that many more around the small candy shop and some came and went.) Since I have never seen it I stayed for the whole affair and the CMs were so cool telling all about it etc.

SO I asked if all the Candy Canes were spoken for and he told me oh yes people were in line early that morning. But why you would put an order in for a fresh candy cane and not watch it be born was beyond me. Then I noticed that there were a load of Candy Canes at the register....I said all of these are spoken for then and he said no they were made off site but were indeed made by hand. ?????? So I bought one. Now why people would wait in line to get a candy cane and not watch it being made when there were plenty handy anyway. Keep in mind that a candy cane is hard candy so what difference does it make I am also wondering now? And I thought I was the mad one here.

The sad thing is ....it's just a candy cane....no different than what I could buy at Walgreens but when you SEE IT BEING MADE you get why they cost so much. You also get why they don't make them like that any longer. I just carried mine around all day ( he was going to put in bubble wrap which is so very wasteful in my mad opinion) And wouldn't you know it....I carried that thing around for about 5 hours and rode ride after ride and then it just slipped out of my hand while walking about and broke. And then I ate it. Merry Xmas.

3Princesses1Prince
11-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I think last year was the furst year they started making them offsite. I remember talking to a CM when we got ours in 2009, and she mentioned they were such high demand that they were going to have some made offsite the next year.

carolinakid
11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I've never cared for candy canes, but I like seeing them being made. I do like peppermint crunch ice cream.

Crystalyte
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I know you have to get there super early to get a ticket to buy one, but does anyone know what times they actually make them? If I'm not lucky enough to buy one I'd like to at least see them being made.

houseofmouse
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I will be there the 12th and would like to see them being made as well. No need to buy one but would be fun to see. :)

3Princesses1Prince
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I know you have to get there super early to get a ticket to buy one, but does anyone know what times they actually make them? If I'm not lucky enough to buy one I'd like to at least see them being made.
They'll be finishing up the first batch at park opening (I think you'll see the final forming of the canes maybe a little more). And probably start the second batch shortly after the first are done. It takes like 2 hours per batch to make them.

MadasaHatter
11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

There are plenty on hand to buy that look JUST the same and TASTE just the same as the ones that are being made. I just walked in to the park during the second batch being made and there were plenty of CANDY CANES behind the counter for sale.

Crystalyte
11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the info, however my point was that I wanted one of the ones that are handmade right there at the park. Not one that is made offsite.

MadasaHatter
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
They are all the exact same. Hand made too. By Disney people. That is the beauty. No waiting or getting there early!

3Princesses1Prince
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
They are all the exact same. Hand made too. By Disney people. That is the beauty. No waiting or getting there early!
Are the offsite ones made by Disney? I heard they were going to contract it out. Not sure if they did or not.

Crystalyte
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Maybe, but I just like the thought of watching them as their made and then getting one fresh, you know? It's more special to me.

It's just that for me, buying one that's made offsite who knows how long ago is no different than buying a box of canes in a store.

Malcon10t
11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Are the offsite ones made by Disney? I heard they were going to contract it out. Not sure if they did or not.That's what I had heard also.

MadasaHatter
11-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Candy Canes made in a store like Walgreens are made by a machine. The ones that Disney makes whether they are contracted out or made by them are made by hand. (There are also a handful of producers of handmade candy cane makers across the states-equally as expensive so am I told.) When you see the process you understand why they are no longer made by hand. XMAS is such a big business that there are machines set up to press out hundreds and hundreds of candy canes so they are cost effective. For the amount of CANDY CANES that Disney would stamp out it would not be cost effective to have a machine PLUS they would not be able to sell them then because they would then be mass produced and not special at all.

Of course you can wait in line and get one that is made that morning but if you are late or if you choose not to stand in line I was just letting you know that you are indeed able to buy a candy cane that was made the exact same way and since it is hard candy it will be the same temp (as they need to be cooled before being handed out) and tastes exactly the same as the ones you saw being made. By all means get that candy cane!

Personally I just cannot ever see paying that price again for a candy cane. Was it worth it??? Absolutely considering the hard work that goes into it but the end result is no different than a store bought candy cane. If I hadn't watched the whole process I would not have paid that price. I had a ball walking around Disneyland with my Candy Cane in hand with all of the XMAS finery about and was sad only for a couple of seconds when it broke. It just meant I could eat it and that was also delightful walking around eating peppermint candy cane with all the XMAS finery. I recommend it to everyone!

missm
11-12-2011, 03:24 PM
How much are these candy canes? Does anyone have a picture? I am envisioning something incredible. I have never been able to watch the process before but I will be at the park two of the days their being made. Is it really that cool to plan on going to watch? If I do go watch how early should I get there and where is a good spot to watch?

Malcon10t
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
How much are these candy canes? Does anyone have a picture? I am envisioning something incredible. I have never been able to watch the process before but I will be at the park two of the days their being made. Is it really that cool to plan on going to watch? If I do go watch how early should I get there and where is a good spot to watch?*I* enjoy watching them being made. They are made in the window of the candy shop on Main St. Past years, they have been $8.

Here is a video from Disney Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/12/a-lost-art-making-candy-canes-at-disneyland/).

MadasaHatter
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
That sounds right. I was thinking I paid ten bucks but with tax yup I gave a ten and got a buck back! They are big candy canes!

Madame Liota
11-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Last year I got to the park when it opened and they sold out. Said people were waiting since before 7am...I don't care that much!

cstephens
11-12-2011, 11:16 PM
*I* enjoy watching them being made.

I like candy canes but I don't care all that much about actually getting one of these handmade ones. I am interested, though, in watching them get made. I thought about it last year, but none of the dates worked for me. Not sure if I'll get a chance this year. Depending on what they're making, I like to stand at the candy shop and watch them make some of the treats.

SigalTchelet
11-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Here's Guy Fieri making the candy canes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5buhCaD1kw

CMHusband
11-13-2011, 04:50 PM
They are 9.99 each and you need to get a ticket that allows you to buy one when you go through the turnstlyle. I heard people start queuing up early in the morning to get them. Anone heard this?

Malcon10t
11-13-2011, 05:15 PM
They are 9.99 each and you need to get a ticket that allows you to buy one when you go through the turnstlyle. I heard people start queuing up early in the morning to get them. Anone heard this?Past years, you can buy 2 per person. And in the past, you get the ticket at the Candy Palace, not at the turnstile. They are usually lined up very early.

ChurroGirl
11-14-2011, 04:11 AM
2 of the dates actually work for us when we are going to be there. I think that we might attempt one of those days, just to have the experience.

pambaca
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi, I am from Colorado and am a yearly visitor to DLR. Unfortunately, none of my visits have ever coincided with the candy cane distribution. If anyone is going to DLR on a "candy cane" day and would be willing to pick up 2-3 candy canes for me, I would appreciate it. Please message me for my email and I can make the appropriate financial and mailing arrangements.

Thanks!

Pam

chahn
11-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I know reports tend to vary based on which CM you talk to but the person who writes the Disney Food Blog was told that this year the candy cane tickets would be handed out at the turnstiles and would be valid for one candy cane per person. I don't know who to contact to try to verify this but it would be great to know as the only day I'll be in the parks when they are making candy canes is 11/30.