PDA

View Full Version : Pirates refurb... what will be in it?

olegc
11-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I read somewhere - totally unconfirmed - that there were mermaids waiting to be installed in the PoTC ride at Disneyland for this refurb. Essentially someone took a picture of a Mater's Junkyard Jamboree wait sign backstage and mentioned it in their post.

Anyone else heard what may be in store? Hmmm... I thought Blackbeard was going to be removed and it would go back to the Dead Man's Chest version (wish it was just the original).

MadasaHatter
11-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Any chance it will be done a bit early a week from FRIDAY>??????

IllusionOfLife
11-10-2011, 04:40 AM
If they put any more of On Stranger Tides into the ride I'm going to rage quit. :mad:

MidwayManiac
11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean – closed through November 23 for refurbishment is the word on the Current Refurbishments and Attraction Closures (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9796/Disneyland_Resort_Update#Rehabs) list.

Any indication Pirates will or will not have soft openings in the days leading up to Thanksgiving? thx

olegc
12-16-2011, 07:28 AM
so I rode last night ( I am sure MANY others have done the same) and I was trying to see what was fixed/changed. THe entry lagoon seems much more crowded now- more dead tree trunks jutting from the water. Besides the alternating mist screen - the screen itself seems to be a new mechanism -forceful mist coming down. I turned around to look at the device and its quite large. The other thing I notice is the 1st drop. The smell from the new kitchen hits you first (garlic was in the air that evening). and it seems the kitchen was expanded into the tunnel. Look close - the ceiling of the tunnel now juts out towards the boat a little. Of course the heavy mist and smoke in the Wicked Wench scene, louder sounds and better lighting it appeared, and for the first time in a long time I noticed that the chair and rafters creaking above us at the end of the jail scene were moving. Have not seen that in a LONG time.

Mostly, though, I have this question - you can feel (I think for the first time) a motorized process in the boat. As we were sailing in the caverns as well as wicked wench - there was a steady, definitive forward motion with a slight hum in in the boat. I was seated by myself in row 5 and could distinctly hear and feel a steady movement. When the water was push toward us we did move with the current - but once the boat was settled we were definitely being propelled. I did not think the boats had any kind of motor mechanism to them, or is it something else on the track?

I am sure there are other stuff too - but this is what I picked up last night (and a COLD and wet night it was).

DwarfPlanet
12-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Great observation update olegc, I was wondering if it was my old age imagination or not that the chair used to creak and move. Glad to see its been restored.

Bytebear
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
The exit platform is larger and easier to get around the people waiting in the handicapped area.

The boat did scrape a bit when it went on and off the loading dock area.

The mist alternates between Davy Jones and Blackbeard, as does the voice at the end lift. (I hate the Blackbeard stuff. he just doesn't belong in the mist).

The room after the mist with the big pirate ship fighting against the fort is really, REALLY foggy.

nbaum
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Is it just me or was that crab in the first scene after the drops blue before the refurb? I asked my DH and sister the last time we were there and they both said I was crazy, it was never blue.

ImAlwaysCrazy
12-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Is it just me or was that crab in the first scene after the drops blue before the refurb? I asked my DH and sister the last time we were there and they both said I was crazy, it was never blue.

Yes it was blue! Also the auctioneer is new. More animated. Even his fingers move. Its so eerie how real he is.

missm
12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
The other thing I notice is the 1st drop. The smell from the new kitchen hits you first (garlic was in the air that evening). and it seems the kitchen was expanded into the tunnel.

This makes me a little sad. I LOVE the smell in Pirates and I think food smells will make me feel less immersed in the ride.

Blacksheep Uncle
12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
when we were there last week we rode 3 or 4 times and never noticed a food smell

and the amount of fog in the battle was well with the range of what I'd seen before the refurb (to me it seems as dependant on the weather as anything else; hot dry days = less fog, cooler damper days = more fog)

the only things I really noticed were the change with the crab and some of the items around it, and the alternating Davy Jones and Blackbeard effects...I didn't really notice a huge change with the auctioneer, but I wasn't paying too much attention to him I guess...

candles71
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
We had steady weather during our trip, sometimes there was more fog other times normal amount of fog. I wonder if the machine is just acting up some?
I thought the auctioneer seemed to have a new coat, I didn't notice he was new. :geek:

ImAlwaysCrazy
12-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah battle scene was way too much fog. It was bothering me. And we were so amazed at the movement of the auctioneer that we couldn't look away. So cool!

candles71
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
We rode it at least once a day for our 5 day trip. (More than once a couple of times). The fog was only really bad once, enough that it was bothering my asthma just a touch.

unclewalt
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Are the clouds that project on the ceiling (the ones that are lights and move slowly) only visible near the first burning buildings? In early December I noticed them missing throughout the ride. They were absent from the dining area and the battle/fort/well area.

candles71
12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I haven't seen them in the dining area for years. No they were only in the first part of burning that I saw.