PDA

View Full Version : Brand new, single-day Adventures by Disney option from the Disneyland Resort!

mkraemer
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Ever been curious to see what an Adventures by Disney trip is all about? Well, if you're in Southern California from late December to early March, your wish can come true!

Adventures by Disney has teamed up with Disneyland to offer a single-day SoCal experience that will make Disney lovers swoon. After departing the Disneyland resort, you spend the morning at the Disney Studios in Burbank and have lunch onsite, then it's off to enjoy some backstage tours at either the Kodak or Grauman's Chinese Theater as well as visit other Hollywood landmarks as the El Capitan Theater, then you cruise down the legendary Sunset Strip, visit Rodeo Drive, and end the tour with a special reception at Gladstone's restaurant in Malibu before returning to the resort.

Prices are $199 for adults, $189 for children 4-9. Minimum age is 4. Tours are offered Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Fridays. Space is limited each day to 40 guests.

I've booked my tour when I'm visiting the resort in February; I'm *so* excited about this!

cstephens
11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, that's an interesting choice of venues to visit, since most of them aren't Disney-owned, except for the Studios and the El Cap. I would have thought they would have done a more modified version of the Backstage Magic tour. That did include a visit to the Studios that included lunch as well as a drive down Sunset Blvd. but ending at Gladstone's seems like an odd choice.

currence
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I agree. I was excited when I saw that the one-day was at DL, because a lot of what is in that tour I would be interested in doing. But I for that price, or even slightly higher, I was hoping for tours of Jim Henson studios and the private tours of DL/DCA, especially Walt's apartment.

Other than the morning at the Disney Studios and possibly backstage at Graumans, the rest of what is offered is readily available to the general public. I suppose if I was visiting from out of town, I would be happy to pay a fixed price and let Disney deal with transportation. But as a local it doesn't excite me as much as I was hoping it would.

fairestoneofall
11-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if there are any discounts for these excursions (AP, DVC, etc)?

oregontraveler
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know if there are any discounts for these excursions (AP, DVC, etc)?

I couldn't find anything on their website. Sound interesting if you are from out-of-town. If this had a couple hours backstage at Disney it would be even better. (the apt. tour, Club 33)

cstephens
11-14-2011, 01:32 PM

There were not when we did it 2 years ago.

mkraemer
11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Just got back from the annual Las Vegas travel conference and trade show. Our agency enjoyed a wonderful hosted dinner with Disney. The one-day Adventures by Disney trip was discussed during this meeting.

This one-day option is a test, to see how well its received. Having feedback about what it includes (or doesn't) is important. Interestingly, it's not being promoted very heavily, and I think they're relying on agents' recommendations to have it as an add-on to a Disneyland package. It's also an introduction to the outstanding quality and service of Adventures by Disney.

Personally, I would have liked to visit the Henson studios much more than the Hollywood options but figure that I will still learn something about the El Capitan while I'm there. I'm delighted to be going to the Disney studios and having lunch there. Going backstage at Disneyland would be nice, too! However, it's a much better price point than the full SoCal tour that ABD offers, so I'm happy to check it out.

As far as I know, there are no discounts for the tour.

AVP
11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Interestingly, it's not being promoted very heavily, and I think they're relying on agents' recommendations to have it as an add-on to a Disneyland package. It's not even listed on the ABD website; I had to contact a travel agent to get more information on it for the write up in this week's Update.

Tony wants to do this in December, so we're looking at possible dates. As I wrote in the Update, I think they very carefully planned this to have no overlap with the Hollywood portions of the Backstage Magic tour, to avoid cannibalizing any of that potential market. If you can hit the big ticket items of the 6-day Backstage Magic tour on a single-day trip, there's no incentive to spend the $2500+ for that tour.

AVP