PDA

View Full Version : Accident at Fantasmic

iAmJacksDLand
06-22-2003, 12:31 PM
On 6/21, during the first showing of Fantasmic, something happened when the pirate ship was nearing the HM. The crocodile stopped, and started to go in reverse, and I thought this was strange, and when I looked over, there were one or two black, low-profile, speedboats doing something. Then the croc completely turned around. Ariels float didn't come out after that, only Belle's, and the other princess.

What happened? Anyone know?

experiment626
06-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Sound more like a malfunction then an accident.

AaronInCal
06-22-2003, 02:49 PM
A similar thing happened on Friday night during the first show of Fantasmic. Only the crockodile made it just past the Mark Twian dock, then started going in reverse. After that, Arial did not come out, only Snow White and Beast and Belle. That show seemed to be full of glitches. The Columbia's lights went out half-way through it's segment, to where only the spot lights and the tower lights were lighting it up, plus it was being pushed. Then there were only a handful of characters on the Twain at the end. The 10:30 show was much better though.. But sounds like poor Tick Tock didn't get rehabbed during the downtime.. or new stuff needs some tweaking..

stitch626
06-22-2003, 07:15 PM
I saw the second showing on friday (6/20), and the crocodile did not even show up. But, the princesses went okay.

jerjer2005
06-22-2003, 07:44 PM
This is really sad especially after all the work they did on the show recently! I hope that they get all the bugs worked out realllllly soon!

teri
06-22-2003, 08:14 PM
We were at the 10:30 show on Friday, over near the Petrified Tree. I remembered being able to see much more from that angle when we were on that side before - have they stopped playing to that side, or was it always that way? The show seemed shorter, too. (The good news was that my son made it to the front for the finale, when the CMs took down the ropes. That was nice for him. :))

PhilMP
06-23-2003, 01:53 AM
What might have happened is the crock got caught on the pyro barge in one of the the three places along the river. The two workboats probably raced out there to unsnag it, or face possible cancellation if they can't get it free.

By the time the workboats got the barge unsnagged, the stage manager probably made the decision to cut the crock barge and get it back to the other side of the island or face other delays (remember, Fan! runs on a precisely timed schedule where cues have to go off at specific time intervals or it doesn't go).

The Ariel barge was probably on standby on the side of the river (the same side the Crock barge starts its run on), and the stage manager decided to cut it from the show in order to accomodate the fast arrival of the Crock barge. Can't have the barges running into each other.

Remember, the show just got back into production, and there's probably a new Parades and Show Support CM in the Crock barge, only used to driving during rehearsals, not in front of a full crowd. In time this problem will go away, either the CM will get used to it...or he/she'll be moved to another spot.

Phil

Not Afraid
06-23-2003, 07:19 AM
This happened at a show I saw last year. What happened is the Columbia lost power and couldn't make it around without a push. The speedboat raced out to push the Columbia but the ship did not make it back around in time for Ariel's bargee to slide out without a colision. With the Columbia not getting back to the dock in time, the "Pirates" did not have time to change into Character costumes and board the Mark Twain for the finale, hence the lack of characters for the finale.

The Columbia is an old ship and seems to be having some problems as of late. THe show it'self runs really smothly until the Columbia causes everything to go haywire.

Laffite
06-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Hooray! for the Columbia!!!!!!

Old Blue
06-23-2003, 11:39 AM
The Columbia Picked up a banner and it got caught in one of it's propellers. This can cause problems with the generator and its controls. Sometimes bad enought to shut down the engine. The banner was removed Saturday morning and the ship worked fine after that.

Not Afraid
06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Old Blue
The Columbia Picked up a banner and it got caught in one of it's propellers. This can cause problems with the generator and its controls. Sometimes bad enought to shut down the engine. The banner was removed Saturday morning and the ship worked fine after that.

A Banner? From where? I am forever curious about the show and all it's workings. Was it a flag from the ship perhaps?

:confused: :D

mrfantasmic
06-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Sunday was flawless, according to my brother! I want to see it! I've missed it so!

Old Blue
06-24-2003, 10:25 AM
I was only told that it came from a show earlier in the week. No one said what type of banner it was or what it came off of and I didn't bother to ask.