PDA

View Full Version : Aulani Breakfast

heatherya
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Has anyone else done the character breakfast at the Aulani? I'm so excited because we just got a reservation for next Wednesday! We're home visiting our parents and are going to go visit the resort. It's too expensive for us to justify staying overnight since we just stay at my husband's parents' home, but I talked him into taking the kids to the Character breakfast...I'm excited!!

(I wasn't sure where to post this since I didn't see a forum for the Aulani...is it in the DVC section?)

Mermaid
11-05-2011, 11:22 AM
We have not been, but I am curious for your thoughts when you come back. This is our home resort!

Hannahbelle
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
We have not been, but I am curious for your thoughts when you come back. This is our home resort!

US too! Please let us know. Thanks!
Mermaid, when will you visit?
Sadly I wont get there until 2013 :-(

heatherya
11-09-2011, 03:52 PM
It was so fun :) The resort is beautiful! I'll post pictures after we get back home. The food was pretty good...I loved the scrambled eggs and french toast, and the kids loved the fruit (papaya was a nice addition). Dh got the eggs benedict with portugese sausage. He said the sausage was a bit bland...portugese sausage is supposed to be a bit spicy...so when you grow up eating it, you notice a difference when it has less flavor. We wondered if it was a bit less flavorful as to not put visitors to the islands off the dish. There were other local dishes such as miso soup and fried rice (delicious!). There was an assortment of little pastries, including mini blueberry and choc chip muffins. Dh had a croissant filled with guava jelly which he said was pretty good. The kids area had mini Mickey waffles and mini pancakes. This part of the buffet line was down at child level, so they could serve themselves there if they wanted to.

The character interactions were similar to that at other character meals. We checked in at the front desk and when our pager buzzed, we joined the line to take pictures with Mickey (similar to Ariel at Ariel's Grotto). While we were eating they brought the picture with Mickey over to us for purchase at $32. We declined. During the meal, Goofy and Minnie came around to each table to visit and play with the kids for a few minutes. Dd went right up and posed for pictures. Ds was a bit apprehensive. He liked seeing them from afar, but when it was time to interact, he buried his face in our shoulders (you'll see in the pictures lol). Aunty (the host) came around and acknowledged each table during her routine, and called out for people celebrating something special. The couple at the next table was celebrating their 10th anniversary. The birthday kids got to learn a little dance and then march around dancing behind Aunty. There was another marching song where any of the kids got do follow after Aunty and Minnie with fruit shakers. Aunty sang some songs that I recognized from my elementary school days when we had a Hawaiian lesson each week, so that was nice and authentic :)

After we finished eating we explored the Waikolohe Valley pool area. There's the lazy river, a children's splash area with bridges and squirters. I really liked that area as it was only 6 inches deep. They have a little reef area that you can pay to do snorkeling in, but around one side of it, there is a little cove where the kids could watch the fish swimming under water. The cove also had some little leaks that would squirt out of the rock wall. Dd and Ds had a great time trying to block the leaks and catch the water. They both got a bit wet. We walked over the the beach area, but didn't go out onto the sand since you had to have a room key to get back into the Aulani gate. There was still a little bit of construction going on in the pool area.

Overall it was a great experience, and I'd really love to stay there sometime...we're hoping to become DVC members sometime in

heatherya
11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
A few things I forgot...the menu online says children under 9 are $18...children under 3 are free. Also, the couple that was celebrating their anniversary didn't have a reservation, but were still able to get a table. They just had to wait 30 minutes. As for our reservation, I tried to make one online about a week ago, but couldn't get a table. I contacted my friend who is a Disney travel agent, and she was able to get us a table.

Mermaid
11-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the review. Everything I read about Aulani sounds amazing!

HB- we will likely be going in Jan/Feb 2014. It sort of depends on the temperament of kid #2, who will be just shy of 2 at the time. If he/she isn't a good traveler, we will probably wait until 2015. Man- DVC sure gets you to plan ahead!

Hannahbelle
01-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the review. Everything I read about Aulani sounds amazing!

HB- we will likely be going in Jan/Feb 2014. It sort of depends on the temperament of kid #2, who will be just shy of 2 at the time. If he/she isn't a good traveler, we will probably wait until 2015. Man- DVC sure gets you to plan ahead!

Thats so true!! Im so hooked on WDW now that I've visited it that I think I want 100 more points!! Lol!! Now I just need the finances to buy airplane tickets once a year to either Florida or Hawaii!! LOL!! ;-)