PDA

View Full Version : Bat Day at DL

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sancho
06-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Did anyone read last fall's Spin (music mag) article about the yearly goth day at the park? Has anyone ever been in the park during this day? I would love to experience it!

MonorailMan
06-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Yes, it was the first day I was suppose to meet the group. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it was cool seeing all the different styles of goth. From totally fancy, down to a *cough*black t-shirt*cough*. ;) Also, a HM trip just isn't the same without a whole streching room full of Goths, all saying the spiel. ;)

sancho
06-22-2003, 08:21 AM
It is hard for me to get away in late August, but I would love to experience this day. The Spin report was hilarious!

Not Afraid
06-22-2003, 09:19 AM
I missed the article, but not the day. Very fun! And MM is rignt, the HM is not the same with a roomful of Goths.

cemeinke
06-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Last year's event was fun. The Evil Queen had a great time with the group photo in front of the castle as she encouraged the Goth hoard to boo at Snow White--Priceless.

The downside, of course is August isn't the best of time to be dressed as a Goth. I felt sorry for the folks in velvet, but on the other hand gotta admire their dedication to form over function.

You can find out more infor about Bats Day (and see pics from previous events) by going to the web site here (http://www.batsday.net/).
:cool:

experiment626
06-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Oh what fun, it looks like this event just happens to be when we will be at Disneyland. Looks like we will spend our first day at DCA.

MsDisney
06-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Yes, it was the first day I was suppose to meet the group. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it was cool seeing all the different styles of goth. From totally fancy, down to a *cough*black t-shirt*cough*. ;) Also, a HM trip just isn't the same without a whole streching room full of Goths, all saying the spiel. ;)

How nice for the other guests who are seeing HM for the first and last time. These are the kinds of things that give "groups" of people a bad name. That's just plain rude. It spoils the experience for other guests and shows a high level of immaturity on the part of the participants.

When is the next "Goth" day? I'd love to be sure to miss it, if this is how people behave. (FWIW, a lot of my students are goth and I do understand that it takes all kinds...all of the goth students I know are awesome people. I would hope they wouldn't be so rude. Most people, however, are going to assume that rude behavior is just part of the persona and can you blame them?)

experiment626
06-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by MsDisney
When is the next "Goth" day?
Sunday August 24th.

MonorailMan
06-22-2003, 04:18 PM
How nice for the other guests who are seeing HM for the first and last time. These are the kinds of things that give "groups" of people a bad name. That's just plain rude. It spoils the experience for other guests and shows a high level of immaturity on the part of the participants.

There were maybe 20 of us in there, and we were all saying it. Not just 1 or 2, all.

leota's necklace
06-22-2003, 04:38 PM

On principle I'd agree with you. However, keep in mind that the elevator was very likely filled with one group, all of the same mindset, with no "mundanes" in sight. I doubt great harm was done.

As for the poster who is planning to "avoid" Bats Day by attending DCA, what exactly are you afraid of? These people are not going to steal your soul or eat your children. They simply enjoy a different aesthetic than you do. For heaven's sake, relax and enjoy the show.

--kate
who has her Goth moments, thank you

experiment626
06-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by leota's necklace
As for the poster who is planning to "avoid" Bats Day by attending DCA, what exactly are you afraid of?
Oh I am absoultely not afraid of anything but the extra crowds this will cause.

Sophie832
06-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Every time I've been around during Goth day, I've had loads of fun checking out their outfits, and just chatting with some of them.

I remember distinctly, a couple of years ago, seeing one Goth woman with the entire Haunted Mansion front tattooed on her back. It covered her whole back, and it was a really nice job.

All in all, I think it gives the park a little kick for the day.

AVP
06-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Sophie832
I remember distinctly, a couple of years ago, seeing one Goth woman with the entire Haunted Mansion front tattooed on her back. It covered her whole back, and it was a really nice job.
I've met her - she's a friend of a friend. It's fun to walk around the park with her during the HMH events, with everyone asking "Hey, show us your back!"

AVP

jerjer2005
06-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Is this so called goth day a certified event put on by disney?

MonorailMan
06-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Not certified so to speak, but I think they have to get permission.

HBTiggerFan
06-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Nope, I I highly doubt they need permission. After all they are just a large group of people meeting at a set location on a set date at a set time. I highly doubt Disney does special event tickets for them (though they may qualify for group sales if enough of them go...).

MsDisney,
I can see how a large group of people who have been on the HM enough to recite the speil and then do so can be distracting to any first time visitor, however please don't just assume it is only on goth day that this happens. This happens 99% of the times I am on the ride (and it's not the people I am with doing it).

MsDisney
06-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

MsDisney,
I can see how a large group of people who have been on the HM enough to recite the speil and then do so can be distracting to any first time visitor, however please don't just assume it is only on goth day that this happens. This happens 99% of the times I am on the ride (and it's not the people I am with doing it).

Oh I know it does and I think it's extremely rude. Just because others are rude doesn't make it okay...not attacking you, just stating opinion.

I'd love to see the woman with the tatoo...that must be an amazing tat.

I'm not anti-goth at all, just anti-being irritating around other guests. I guess my purpose was to point out, in case someone hadn't considered it, that it might spoil a first time guests experience in the HM. Glad no one took great offense. (So far...)

Rallymonkey23
06-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Nope, I I highly doubt they need permission. After all they are just a large group of people meeting at a set location on a set date at a set time.

That's right. That would be just like the Sunday met at the hub that people do here. Granted, there are not that many people that show up there in this group, but it is a group of people meeting.

Back to the Goth meet.
I was there last year looking from the hub (looking for MonorailMan) and saw the group meeting at the castle. Several people we taking pictures of them (not part of "their" group). And I didn't see anyone complaining about the group. I also got some pictures myself. It took 2 pictures to get the whole group! :eek:

gliterrboy
06-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Goth Day/Bat Day sounds AWESOME!!! It is marked on my calendar! I can't wait. New Orleans is pretty Goth, makes for the perfect meeting place. I'm glad someone thought of it. <insert smiley (or frown, hahahahha) with white face, dark eyes, and spikey black hair> :p

Side note, someone asked if this was a certified event, my question, are any of theses "Day"s certified by disney? (ie. Gay Day, etc.) I didn't think so, but I figured I would ask. :D

Not Afraid
06-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by gliterrboy
Side note, someone asked if this was a certified event, my question, are any of theses "Day"s certified by disney? (ie. Gay Day, etc.) I didn't think so, but I figured I would ask. :D

I think someone addressed this earliier, but, NO, these events are not sponsored, certified, promoted, etc, by DL. I believe there is some communication with DL about the event - Goths are generally just wearing black - they are not necessarily rude.

The easiest comparison is with Mouse Adventure. The same paragraph above could be inserted here replacing "Goths" with "Mouse Adventurerers" and "wearing black" with "wearing silly hats".:fez:

prudence
06-24-2003, 11:37 AM
On our trip last August we accidentally arrived on goth day. Frankly, the goths were a whole lot more pleasant to be around than the hordes of unsupervised youngsters in matching school t-shirts that descended upon the park last week. Now THEY were irritating to other guests. The goths were merely amusing. (I used to be semi-goth, which is fairly difficult to imagine.) The dedication to keep up proper goth appearances is challenging enough in a Seattle August. It was MUCH warmer at Disneyland. In general, the goths seemed at least somewhat aware that there were other people in the park.

halestorm
06-24-2003, 12:17 PM
I think it's extremely rude.

How is it rude? People having fun? How does it "ruin" it for a first time guest exactly?

People did it my first time and I thought it was cool! I thought it was some sort of tradition. In fact I'm very surprised when I DON'T hear people doing the speil. It's part of the fun.

Who knew there were people who actully get upset at this?

It adds a little life to a very old attraction.

Why stand there and get all worked up over what other people do?

Not only am I going to go on bats day, I'm going to try and find something black and spooky to wear, and join in on the fun!

Let people have fun and enjoy life a little.

Daniel

sancho
06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Although I love the idea of DL being overrun by Goths...I think that it is simple common sense that your right to do whatever you please in the name of enjoyment ends when it interferes with someone else's right to have a good time. Although this old addage does not stand up entirely to scrutiny, it is a good rule of thumb for being a polite and responsible citizen. When someone fails to live up to this, they become the exact self-centered boor I spoke of in the DL at its worst thread. It is my impression from this article that most Bat Day attendees are considerate...so I guess that this is nearly a moot point for this thread.

Morrigoon
06-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Goth Day is fine... it's raver day that gets bad. Yeah, I know not all ravers are bad blah blah blah, but drug use is much more a part of raver culture than it is goth culture, and you don't see goths using spinny or blinky glow on dark rides. Plus, your average raver is younger than your average goth, so add all the teen-ness to the mix and......:rolleyes:

Goth day is fine IMHO. In fact, if I'm in the park that day (I have a sneaking suspicion I might be at a football game though) I just might goth out for the day, could be fun.

AVP
06-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by prudence
Frankly, the goths were a whole lot more pleasant to be around than the hordes of unsupervised youngsters in matching school t-shirts that descended upon the park last week. Now THEY were irritating to other guests.
On our most recent trip to WDW, we had the same experience with a very large junior high choir group, all in matching red shirts. NOW I know why Red Shirt Week gets such a bad rap at WDW!!!!!

(Of course, this happened during the actual Gay Days at WDW, and, as a whole, the gays were a HECK of a lot better behaved than that choir group. I think the gays should have asked the kids to get a different color shirt - they were ruining their reputation!)

AVP