PDA

View Full Version : Off-premises dining just got better

tod
06-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Went to one of my favorite off-campus dining places last night, Tacos Mi Pueblo at the corner of Katella and Walnut, and was very pleased to see that they have expanded, adding a new dining room.

Tacos Mi Pueblo has real Mexican food, spicy and flavorful, and way more authentic that Taco Bell -- which I once heard described as "Mexican food to an Englishman's taste" and I never heard a better description.

The lovely Mrs. Tod and the two little Tods ate quite well for $37, including a $5 tip. Recommended.

--T
BTW, we renewed our APs so watch for us at Millionaire. We played the last show on Thursday and at least one of us ranked in every top-10 list. Once three of us were ranked.

cstephens
06-20-2003, 11:12 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to next year when Patina opens their new Mexican restaurant - don't even need to drive anywhere!

Morrigoon
06-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear it!

Speaking of which.... anyone heard anything new about Farrell's?

cstephens
06-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

There's nothing on the webpage for the Block, but on the official Farrell's site, they have a July 2003 opening date listed.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out to be July 17th...

Andrew
06-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
There's nothing on the webpage for the Block, but on the official Farrell's site, they have a July 2003 opening date listed.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out to be July 17th...

*picturing a grip of Padders outside Farrell's doing "open, open, open"*

Lani
06-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
*picturing a grip of Padders outside Farrell's doing "open, open, open"* Hahahaha. If there's a big turnout, I think the item to order would be the ZOO!

tod
06-20-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm looking forward to next year when Patina opens their new Mexican restaurant - don't even need to drive anywhere!

If you drive the two blocks to Tacos Mi Pueblo in the biggest gas-guzzlin' SUV you can fit in the parking structure and pay the $8 toll both times you'll still get away cheaper than at a Patina restaurant.

I'll reserve comment on the food quality until the Patina restaurant opens... :fez:

--T

justagrrl
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I live in the area so I'll have to check that out. Anything in particular you recommend trying?

tod
06-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I live in the area so I'll have to check that out. Anything in particular you recommend trying?

Not really -- most of the recommendable places near DLR are either chains (like Mimi's) or tips based on long experience (go a couple of blocks away from the resort so you eat where the Real People do, not the tourists).

Can you recommend any indigenous places those of us who live farther away -- like, oh, say, Burbank -- would like? I tried the La Palma Chicken Pie Shop years ago and was unimpressed.

--T

EandCDad
06-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by tod
Not really -- most of the recommendable places near DLR are either chains (like Mimi's) or tips based on long experience (go a couple of blocks away from the resort so you eat where the Real People do, not the tourists).
--T

I think justagrrl was asking if you recommend anything on the menu at Tacos Mi Pueblo.

Hojoanaheim
06-21-2003, 08:39 AM
I contacted the folks at the Block of Orange who informed me that the Farrell's will be located inside part of the large video game complex, "Power House" and is scheduled to open sometime this summer.

HBTiggerFan
06-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to next year when Patina opens their new Mexican restaurant - don't even need to drive anywhere!

Well thats a nice option if one can afford to eat at a Patina restruant :rolleyes:.

They need to put something affordable there...like Chipotle (http://www.chipotle.com)

GeminiAngel
06-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Glad to hear it!

is that an ice cream joint?

cstephens
06-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Well thats a nice option if one can afford to eat at a Patina restruant :rolleyes:

The Uva Bar is a Patina restaurant, and I think that's reasonably affordable.

And, with some of what we're hearing, it looks like there will be some very reasonable offerings at Patina's new Mexican restaurant. We'll have to wait until January to see whether those plans pan out.

Originally posted by GeminiAngel
is that an ice cream joint?

Yes (http://www.farrellsusa.com/).

MonorailMan
06-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Actually, it's quite a trip form the DLR, about 5 miles, but Mom & I love the Norms on Katella, near the 55 freeway. Good, and cheap eats! :D

HBTiggerFan
06-21-2003, 09:22 PM
The Uva Bar is a Patina restaurant, and I think that's reasonably affordable.

The Uva Bar is an offshoot of Catal (an obscenely expensive restaurant). And until my last trip I thought they (Uva Bar) were affordable.

sancho
06-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Alcohol at the Uva Bar is obscenely expensive.

kcdisney
06-21-2003, 09:48 PM
We were just in Anaheim last week.
Stayed at the Embassy Suites South just off of Chapman and Harbor. We ate at the Red Robin...just south of there.
Very good and very reasonable prices.

cstephens
06-22-2003, 09:22 PM
The Uva Bar is an offshoot of Catal (an obscenely expensive restaurant).

Hmmm, well, then I guess we have very different ideas of what "obscenely expensive" means. I've never thought that about Catal, nor have any of the people we've been there with. And the Uva Bar isn't really an offshoot of Catal - it's just another part of the restaurant as a whole, but I guess that's partly terminology.

Originally posted by sancho
Alcohol at the Uva Bar is obscenely expensive.

Now *THAT* I'll agree with!

[sitting and waiting to see what the new menus will be like - but I got my piggie tonight]

HBTiggerFan
06-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, well, then I guess we have very different ideas of what "obscenely expensive" means. I've never thought that about Catal, nor have any of the people we've been there with.

Just for clarification, I meant that Catal was an obscenely expensive restaurant, and that the Uva Bar is an offshoot of that obscenely expensive restaurant*, and is pretty expensive in itself.

Then I guess neither you, nor the people you visit these establishments have low paying jobs while paying their way through college, insanely high rent in SoCal and struggling to stand on their own two feet at the same time. Must be nice...

And the Uva Bar isn't really an offshoot of Catal - it's just another part of the restaurant as a whole, but I guess that's partly terminology.

That is terminology. I say offshoot as being part of Catal, just in a different location, you say it is part of the location as a whole. Same difference.

*Obscenely expensive restaurant to me: any place that charges between $15(at the low end)-$20+ per entrée before drinks, desserts and tip.

EandCDad
06-23-2003, 05:02 AM

*Obscenely expensive restaurant to me: any place that charges between $15(at the low end)-$20+ per entrée before drinks, desserts and tip.

I don't see that as "obscenely expensive." I mean, its not cheap, but not particularly outrageous. I think almost everything at the Disneyland Resort is "overpriced" but that goes for stuff like water, popcorn, burger places, basically everything. Overpriced and obscenely expensive are not the same thing, in my book. That's why its good to hear about good places like the one Tod mentioned, so you can have options to meet differing budgets.

The problem is some of these terms are relative. What's expensive to one person doesn't seem to be expensive to someone else. Someone, like me, would say that $50 a person for dinner is expensive, but another person might think its $100. Another person might think its $15.

Then I guess neither you, nor the people you visit these establishments have low paying jobs while paying their way through college, insanely high rent in SoCal and struggling to stand on their own two feet at the same time. Must be nice...

I'm glad to see that apology you made in the Lounge was so sincere.

As far as the whole "poor me" act goes. Since I've been trying to stand on my own two feet for about 20 years, I'll just note that people with not so low paying jobs may have to, say, take that one salary and pay for dinner for four, clothes for four, braces, school tuition, entertainment for four, dance lessons, bigger cars to carry the entire family, food at home for four, insanely high rent or house payments on larger houses because there are more people, and all the other things that a single person doesn't have to worry about. Just because you don't have a lot of money, doesn't make you the expert on what's expensive.

tod
06-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
I think justagrrl was asking if you recommend anything on the menu at Tacos Mi Pueblo.

Nachos are very good. Burritos come with rice and beans inside and a sauce over the top, so you need a fork. I had pork tamales last time. Excellent, with just a little green chile inside for flavor.

--T

cstephens
06-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Yes, actually, it is nice to no longer be in that position, and hopefully, someday, you'll know how nice that feels as well. I can't speak for any of my dinner companions over the past year or so, but the circumstance you set forth above to some degree describes me about 15 years ago. And in that time, I've worked very hard to get to where I am today. So, while I empathize with your current situation, I don't feel sorry for you, nor do I feel guilty for having reached a position that you have not yet reached. But you are ahead of me in at least one respect. As a poor college student, there is no way that I could even have conceived of having a luxury such as an annual passport to Disneyland.

I personally find that definition to be severely limiting, but if that works for you, that's cool. I don't so much look at the actual price but rather the value that you get. I've been to places where the entrees are less than $15, but you get very little (either in quantity or quality) for that amount. And I think I've always been able to differentiate between what is not a good value and what I can't afford. Just because I can't afford it doesn't mean it's not a good value, and just because I can afford it, doesn't mean it's a good deal.

Tod - Sorry your topic got a bit off track. Thanks again for the info.

HBTiggerFan
06-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Yes, actually, it is nice to no longer be in that position, and hopefully, someday, you'll know how nice that feels as well. I can't speak for any of my dinner companions over the past year or so, but the circumstance you set forth above to some degree describes me about 15 years ago. And in that time, I've worked very hard to get to where I am today. So, while I empathize with your current situation, I don't feel sorry for you, nor do I feel guilty for having reached a position that you have not yet reached. But you are ahead of me in at least one respect. As a poor college student, there is no way that I could even have conceived of having a luxury such as an annual passport to Disneyland.

I didn't ask you to feel sorry for me nor did I try to make you or ask you to feel guitly. As for my "luxury of an AP", I saved and saved for a long time to own one, and it is now "free entertainment" throughout the year. Well worth it.

I personally find that definition to be severely limiting, but if that works for you, that's cool. I don't so much look at the actual price but rather the value that you get. I've been to places where the entrees are less than $15, but you get very little (either in quantity or quality) for that amount. And I think I've always been able to differentiate between what is not a good value and what I can't afford. Just because I can't afford it doesn't mean it's not a good value, and just because I can afford it, doesn't mean it's a good deal.

You obviously have not been to the same places I have. For a full meal under $15 I have enough delicious food to either fill me up or have leftovers. I think that paying $15 for an entree is a horrible value. Even when I have that kind of money I'll still think its a horrible value. To each their own.

Tod - Sorry your topic got a bit off track. Thanks again for the info.

I'm sorry too Tod. I'm done here.