PDA

View Full Version : Mint Juleps!

ActionMarco
06-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Ok recently ive been hearing alot about these drinks. What are they (I get the mint part ) but what do they taste like. ALso where in disney can i get them??

ununoctium
06-19-2003, 10:43 PM
the mint julips i've seen at the park come out of the fountain in the mint julip bar in new orleans square. it's this funky green color, and tastes, minty! I'm not a fan of them, but the mint julip bar is MY FAVORITE place in DLR. I have so many memories there.

:)

Kevin

MintJulep
06-19-2003, 11:28 PM
mint julep. julep. julEp. :)

Andrew
06-19-2003, 11:35 PM
They're delicious. Some heathens will claim they taste like Listerine, but it's actually a noncarbonated lime-flavored drink with a touch of mint. There's now a refill fountain inside the French Market!

ununoctium
06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by MintJulep
mint julep. julep. julEp. :)

Oh sue me..it's been a long day

:fez: :D

gliterrboy
06-20-2003, 02:54 AM
Does anyone have a recipe on how to make the Disney version?

The only one I've been able to find is the alcohol version and the bourbon TOTALLY overpowers it and it tastes NOTHING like the wonderful Disney Mint Julep!!!!!

hefferdude
06-20-2003, 06:53 AM
I've seen it spelled either way. ep or ip.

Does anyone have a recipe on how to make the Disney version? :confused:

Mix crushed ice and lime gatoraide in a plastic container.
Pour into a " collectable " $4 souvenier cup.
Drop in a wintergreen lifesaver..:fez: ( hope you know I'm just kidding )

Actually, Ralph Brennen's JK does an passable version and you can order it virgin. :eek:

But why? ( hiccup! )

Bill Catherall
06-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Recipe (http://www.mouseplanet.com/drr/drrrecipes.htm#mint)

Non-alchoholic Creme DeMenthe (http://www.chewbrokers.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=41&step=4).

I'm not a big fan of spearmint, but even I like these drinks. But I'd like it even more without the mint. :p

refurbmike
06-20-2003, 09:08 AM
FYI, the version they use in the parks is from a syrup and is different than the recipe they publicly release. The drink is mixed just like a soda, but with less carbonation. They get the syrup from some place in So. Cal. (Alhambra?)

Wishful
06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I make a batch of these every once in a while. I usually use fresh-squeezed lime juice instead of bottled and make them more "tarty". Using 7-Up or something like that adds extra zip too. You can use it in place of the soda water in the cooking part of the recipe, or mix it with the finished concentrate syrup to make the individual drinks. If you live in an area where they sell limeade concentrate you can use that instead of the lemonade concentrate too.

I've used all of these recipies, they all taste the same. They're great for a day when you can't get to the parks and can only sit in front of the TV with a Disney DVD to watch. Make sure you tell people they have to mix the concentrate with club soda or water or else it will taste like cough syrup (ask my mom, she drank it straight, twice!)

Wishful

From the MousePlanet Restaurant Section
New Orleans Square Mint Julep Recipe

This recipe comes from various sources.

Yield: Approximately 2/3 gallon

Ingredients

1 cup Sugar
3 tsp. Lime Juice Concentrate
3 cups Soda Water
6 tbsp. Crème DeMenthe (hard to find, but this is important)
6 oz. thawed Lemonade Concentrate

Directions

Dissolve sugar into soda water. Add lime juice and lemonade and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add Crème DeMenthe. Chill. To serve, combine 3 parts syrup to 5 parts water. .

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/rec20.html
Mint Julep
from Port Orleans

2¼ cups sugar
6 cups water
2 tablespoons plus ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 12-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1½ tablespoons crème de menthe syrup
Fresh mint sprigs

Serves 8

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lime juice, lemonade concentrate, and crème de menthe and heat to just below the boiling point (200°). Be careful not to let the mixture boil. Remove from heat and chill to form a thick syrup. For each serving, pour two tablespoons of syrup and 10 ounces of chilled water into a glass of crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

http://primetap-kitchen.subportal.com/recipes/C20/recipeC20044.html
Disneyland mint julep
_
Yield: 24 Servings
_
3 lb Sugar (poster's note = 6 cups)
1 ga Water
1 pt Creme de menthe syrup
1/2 6-oz can frozen limeade
1/2 6-oz can frozen lemonade
For Garnish- Fresh mint sprigs -- Maraschino cherries -- Fresh pineapple pieces --

Combine sugar and water in a large kettle and bring to a boil. Add creme de menthe syrup limeade and lemonade concentrates. Stir and chill. Serve in tall glasses with sprigs of mint maraschino cherries and pineapple pieces if desired. Makes 24 (1-cup) servings. Entered into MasterCook by Terri Law 8/22/96. Recipe By : Los Angeles Times (old clipping)