PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Hijab wearing CM?

wenidog
10-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I've been wondering...how did this case end? The Disneyland CM that insisted on wearing a hajib with her costume?

leota's necklace
10-23-2011, 02:01 AM
It's a hijab.

wenidog
10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry about the spelling error, I didn't mean to offend you, Leota's Necklace. Allow me to me rephrase my question...What ever happened to the Disneyland CM who wanted to wear her 'hijab' with her DL themed costume?

adriennek
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't know if the CM I saw the other day is the same woman or someone else, but last week, I think it was the day of the CHOC Walk maybe, I saw a CM wearing a main gate costume, wearing a hijab, walking through the Mickey & Friends parking structure. So someone is working wearing that costume.

AVP
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Sorry about the spelling error, I didn't mean to offend you, Leota's Necklace. Allow me to me rephrase my question...What ever happened to the Disneyland CM who wanted to wear her 'hijab' with her DL themed costume?If you mean Imane Boudlal, the Storytellers Cafe cast member who declined to wear the Disney-designed headcovering, she filed suit last year and that's about the last I've heard. There is at least one main entrance cast member who wears a Disney-designed headcovering on stage; that's probably the CM AdrienneK saw last week.

Adrienne

iceman559
10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't know if the CM I saw the other day is the same woman or someone else, but last week, I think it was the day of the CHOC Walk maybe, I saw a CM wearing a main gate costume, wearing a hijab, walking through the Mickey & Friends parking structure. So someone is working wearing that costume.

I remember reading in the initial coverage of her lawsuit that there were other CMs that had no problems wearing Disney-designed ones. She simply refused for whatever reason. So this was most likely someone else.

leota's necklace
10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry about the spelling error, I didn't mean to offend you, Leota's Necklace. Allow me to me rephrase my question...What ever happened to the Disneyland CM who wanted to wear her 'hijab' with her DL themed costume?

Thank you. And I wasn't offended; it's just important to remember that words mean things, even in other languages, and those meanings change when words are misspelled. This is made more clear in Arabic, which works on a structure dependent on consonants -- shades of meaning can be introduced with different vowels and they way they are placed in that framework. So if you're not making a whole 'nother word, you might be changing the meaning of the word you meant to say.

Anyway, more to the point, spelling hijab correctly might help you in future Google searches on the topic. Presently, Google isn't returning anything more recent than September 2010 or so.

AnotherJenny
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
There was also a student who had an internship last year in travel planning. They told her she would have to work in the stock room while it took 5 months to make/design her a new uniform. Apparently the internship would have been over by then, but she agreed to wear the optional hat over her hijab and it was settled.

The other CM filed a complaint with EEOC, which I think has a long backlog right now (Which she has to do, and wait for them to investigate before she can potentially sue.) I also saw a CM loading shuttles at Mickey & Friends last month and wondered about this case. It's possible the CM from Storytellers accepted the other position and is keeping quiet while she waits for EEOC, but I think it's more likely she found another job and will file a lawsuit when the investigation is over. (I don't know, that's just a guess on my part.)

iceman559
10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
The other CM filed a complaint with EEOC, which I think has a long backlog right now (Which she has to do, and wait for them to investigate before she can potentially sue.) I also saw a CM loading shuttles at Mickey & Friends last month and wondered about this case. It's possible the CM from Storytellers accepted the other position and is keeping quiet while she waits for EEOC, but I think it's more likely she found another job and will file a lawsuit when the investigation is over. (I don't know, that's just a guess on my part.)

Well, I don't intend to turn this into a "political" discussion, but I believe the CM in question was part of the Local 11 union that is currently "at war" with Disney. This all happened back when they were regularly doing strikes and had that demonstration where they blocked Harbor Boulevard wearing Disney costumes. I hate to say it, but these circumstances combined with the fact that other CMs had no issues with the Disney approved head coverings leads me to believe this might be slightly geared towards publicity against Disney and she wouldn't leave the job herself.

This is all speculation, but I saw quite a few debates discussing that very issue back when it was first getting reported. I would love to know what the current status is.

The old man
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Thank you. And I wasn't offended; it's just important to remember that words mean things, even in other languages, and those meanings change when words are misspelled. This is made more clear in Arabic, which works on a structure dependent on consonants -- shades of meaning can be introduced with different vowels and they way they are placed in that framework. So if you're not making a whole 'nother word, you might be changing the meaning of the word you meant to say.
Oh, bay. Oops I meant--Oh boy. In English shades of meaning can be introduced with different vowels and they way they are placed in that framework.

JunJunM3
10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Not too long ago, I saw a CM donning the Hijab at the M&F structure tram station. Though I'm sure that was a different CM because she didn't look like the CM that was all over the news when the whole controversy came up.

leota's necklace
10-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh, bay. Oops I meant--Oh boy. In English shades of meaning can be introduced with different vowels and they way they are placed in that framework.

Yeah, it's kind of like that, but about a thousand times more complex, poetic, and awesome.

You'd probably like Modern Standard Arabic, Old Man. It's pleasing in an incredibly pedantic sort of way. ;)

wenidog
10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
I was referring to the woman who was courted by the Union, rejected all offered alternatives for uniform changes, then sued Disney. I never saw any articles regarding the outcome. But, the case is probably in a court back-log waiting to be heard.

Drince88
10-27-2011, 03:46 AM
AVP's post #5 in this thread says just that.

wenidog
10-29-2011, 11:17 AM
AVP's post #5 in this thread says just that.

Yep...sure does. I was just replying to the question as the original poster.