PDA

View Full Version : July or October...HELP?

moebac
06-19-2003, 08:58 PM
My family and I have decided to make our first trip to DL/DCA this year. We had been planning to visit the week of 7 July since my military husband already had leave scheduled for that week. But after reading several posts on MousePad, I've started rethinking that date. I'm most worried about the heat and crowds (seeing that it would be the week after the 4th and the Pirates movie event on July 9th). So now I'm thinking maybe the 1st week in October.

We were at WDW in early May and my girls, 5 and 2, handled the 90+ temps OK. I don't think we waited more than 15 minutes for any ride, although the 2 yr old had some meltdowns waiting in line to see the characters.

I'm concerned about the scheduled Oct closures of Small World, Haunted Mansion and Spalsh. So I'm asking the experts out there, especially those that travel with an under 6 crowd, if you had to choose between July and Oct, when would you go?

Thanks!

lisap
06-20-2003, 05:53 AM
October would be my choice, but I feel your pain about the ride closures. If those rides totally make your visit to the park complete, then bite the bullet and go in July. The crowds are very big, but if you get to the park first, first thing in the morning and hit Fantasyland right away, you will get the worst out of the way in the morning. Take a swim break in the afternoon when the heat is the worst and head back in the evening.

The crowds are lighter in October, and the weather is usually much nicer. The park hours are shorter, but with little ones I doubt you will be staying up till the wee hours.

Early mornings are the key whichever month you choose if you are interested in seeing attractions. Good luck and I'm sure you will have a great time whichever month you decide on.

tjrj
06-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi to a "neighbor'-you're only about 3 and a half or 4 hours away from me in Durango:)

I must back up what LisaP said. Those attractions are big closures and may impact your visit in a major way. If so, then go during July. And I just can't recommend the mid-day break enough. Everyone in your party can benefit from a break. However, I love visiting during the slower times of the year. October is usually lovely in so. Cal(former resident)-warm days, cooler nights-good for sleeping- few crowds. You still should be able to enjoy the Parks at night, if you plan on staying over a weekend.

Are you driving or flying? One thing I would not recommend is driving straight through. I know that you can hit I-25 and just haul-and we've definitely done this-but especially with the young kiddos-the paybacks at the end can far outweigh the benefits.

femmfaerie
06-20-2003, 11:10 AM
October! But try to still avoid the weekends if you can!

disNeytEen
06-20-2003, 12:36 PM
It really depends on your kids. If they like to ride and could handle the heat then go in July to experince the rides, but if they like characters and less about rides then go during october.

Good Luck!

hefferdude
06-20-2003, 12:43 PM
First time?
October. We get nice fall/summer weather at that time. Crowds will be far less ( see post on crowded walkways ). Most attractions will be open.

And you might be able to meet fellow MPadders at the next MouseAdventure if it is scheduled for the first W/E on Oct. !!!:D

experiment626
06-20-2003, 01:48 PM
October (avoiding Columbus/Discovery Day Weekend) would be much better then July. The temps will be cooler but still warm. The crowds will be less.

moebac
06-24-2003, 07:36 AM
OK, we've decided to go with Sept 30th through Oct 5th. If the planned refurb's go as scheduled, Small World and HM will both be open on the 5th (I do realize that refurb dates could change but I'm willing to take the chance).

Considering everything that is going on at the parks the week of july 6th (POTC event, X-Games) and the advise given here, Oct just seems the best time for us.

TJRJ,
We'll be driving west on I-40 and have planned to spend the night some place in AZ (maybe Phoenix). Totally off subject: We're actually thinking about now using that July vacation to go camping up around the Durango area.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

tstan70
06-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Definately october!
With small kids, it is easy to get worn out when it is hot and crowded. My three year old gets very impatient when she has to wait in line and we would rather sacrifice more parades and shows than have a long wait.

Also, avoid the whole week of Columbus day (oct. 13 this year) as schools in Utah, Arizona and some California districts have a fall recess on oct 16-17. I have friends that were there last year during the fall recess for just Arizona and Utah and said it was a total zoo on that Thursday and Friday!

danascully33
06-30-2003, 10:20 PM
We will be at Disneyland Sept 29th through October 5th too! We always go the last week of September, the weather is great and usually not too crowded.

See you there!:D