PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Traditions

DivaPrincess
06-19-2003, 03:06 PM
I know there have been other posts with a similar subject, but I love reading about it... so...

What fun traditions do you have at Disneyland? What traditions would you like to start? Have you done anything extra fun or special, even on just one trip?

My Disneyland traditions are as follows:

*I always have to have a new shirt to wear, if I'm only going for one or two days. A whole outfit is great, but I definetly have to have the right shirt.
*We always make my daughter a shirt with a Disney character on it. Our last trip, she had Tinkerbell in a sassy pose and underneath it said "TINKER-TUDE!" and on our long vacation last year, she had one for every day!
*I buy a charm from the little shop in the castle for my charm bracelet. I just started that 2 trips ago, so I only have two. I'm toying with the idea of buying one to represent every trip since I met my husband, but I can't decide if that's cheating. I just want a lot of charms.

What would I like to start?

*Getting a cream cheese stuffed pretzel! YUMM!!
*Kissing my honey at a special spot every trip. Any suggestions?

And on one special trip, my husbands whole family came - all 17 of us, and we made t-shirts that had Disney characters on them. My father and mother-in-law were "The Huntsman" (from Snow White - he's a hunting fanatic) and "Mrs. Potts", my older sister-in-law and her husband were the spoil sports of the group and wore t-shirts that said "prince" and "princess" (they are usually the spoil sports), my younger brother-in-law and his wife were "Baloo" and "Tigger, my younger sister-in-law and her husband were "Sleeping Beauty" and "King Louie" and those two pairs have sons who are just a few months apart, one is little and one is huge, they were "Timon" and "Pumbaa". His unmarried siblings were "Snow White", "Ed" and "Jesse". My husband was "Goofy" and I was "Jessica", as in Jessica Rabbit, and my 2 year old was Cinderella, and my 6 week old was "Minni Minnie". It was really fun and we got some funny looks.

Ok, your turn!

Kimi_Coconuts
06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
I always pretend to kiss the toad inside the line of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, often someone takes a picture, I love frogs so he always has my special attention, I think he is so adorable.

Other things:

We always ride the Matterhorn first if it's open
Recently, all pin traders are a must stop and look

I know I have more but I'm drawing a blank, I'll think of more I'm sure. Like we used to make fun of subs until they were gone, can't wait to restart that, hee hee.

MickeyD
06-19-2003, 03:48 PM
My only real Disneyland tradition that I can think of is that I try to call my friend and reformed poster, Napsto from an attraction.(I'm not obnoxious about it, I promise...I think only the person sitting in the row with me would even know I was on the phone.)

Come to think of it, I didn't call him from an attaction last time I was there!!!!

CarlieB
06-19-2003, 04:07 PM
We always fit in a Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show (started out watching them at the Big Thunder BBQ, now it's the Horseshoe Stage) - I just love that show:D

Going to the Gibson Girl for a sundae is a bit of a tradition too - they're yummy, and I love the surroundings.

lazyboy97O
06-19-2003, 04:13 PM
This one goes back to when my dad went to Disneyland as a kid. We must always start the day at the park with a visit to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

oregonzooron
06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
On first entering the park, as we pass throught the left hand tunnel (after reading "Here you enter...) I cover my daughter's eyes and sing softly:

"Come with me
and you'll be
in a world of pure imagination..."

as I guide her to the base of Main Street.

There I uncover her eyes:

"If you want to view paradise,
simply look around and view it..."

I know it's not a Disney song, but it's so perfect to the moment!

see you at the zoo

ron

timl33
06-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I always have to get a churro and go to at least one show of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

My friend Nicole always has to trip over a stone under the left hand tunnel when entering :)

femmfaerie
06-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kimi_Coconuts
I always pretend to kiss the toad inside the line of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, often someone takes a picture, I love frogs so he always has my special attention, I think he is so adorable.

I have really wanted to bring in a ball bearing (spelling?) to super glue to the Toads tongue so it looks as if he tongue is pierced....That would be great...so i guess for now the tradition is talking about doing it...but I do get a picture kissing Ariel every time I go :D

Pirate Girl
06-20-2003, 11:59 AM
My cousin and I always meet our group in front of the Kennels. Then we try and look for our favorite DL gatekeepers. We always go through the Right hand tunnel. We always have to buy a caramel pop at the candy shop (When they make them, they only make them a few days a week. Mmmm yummy.) Then while eating them we pay homage to the Walt and Mickey statue before heading off to Haunted Mansion where we always stand in the center of the stretch room and screem really loud when it blacks out. :D

Andrew
06-20-2003, 12:06 PM
When I enter Disneyland, I need to go through the tunnel on the right (near the stroller rental place). When I leave Disneyland, I need to go through the tunnel on the right (near the Newstand). It's probably something to do with "stay on the right side of the road" but I always feel uncomfortable if for some reason I enter or leave through the "wrong" side.

I also don't like when they've shut down the exit turnstiles and have everyone exiting through one of the large open gates. The last part of leaving Disneyland should be that reassuring "clicketyclick" of the turnstile.

We used to have a lot more traditions when we were there every week--things like making Jungle the last ride of the night, tossing a coin in Snow White's wishing well on our way out, always grabbing the front-and-center spot for the second show of Fantasmic.

Aurora
06-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Buying a mint julip and a biscotti and sitting at the french market.

Looking up at the speaker playing the music when passing through sleeping beauty's castle.

Visiting mickey and taking a picture.

:D

hefferdude
06-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Minimums;

1 trip around DL on the train during the day.:cool:
1 trip on the Mark Twain at dusk.:cool: :cool:
1 trip on Jungle Boat at night.;)

I would include 1 trip around TL on the People Mover and 1 trip on the Skyway to FL/TL at night but quothe the Raven -

Nevermore
Nevermore.

:crying:

disNeytEen
06-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Ride every ride even if it is Dumbo :)

Aimz
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
We always make the railroad our last ride of the day, complete circle. If we get on at any station other than Main Street, we stay on until we've gone all the way around and then exit at Main Street to go home. Also, we make sure to visit Snow White's wishing well on each trip.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-20-2003, 01:48 PM
I've had a tradition of going every July 4th, ever since the year Fountain Valley banned fireworks. I've had a tradition of taking the Walt's Footsteps tour that day since its inception (and the year before, the experimental backstage tour). One year, on the Walt's Footsteps tour, it was just me and the tour guide, so it went a bit faster than usual; also, we spent the entire time finishing each other's sentences.

Also when attending on July 4th, I have a tradition of arriving as early as I can make it, and not leaving until past midnight (thus quietly boycotting the FV city limits for the day and evening), and of wearing as many as three "giveaway" flag pins from previous years across the top of my breast pocket.

And speaking of pins, anytime I attend a passholder event, I wear every passholders-only pin I can find (including the one from the LightMagic passholder premiere party).

And while this isn't exactly a tradition, since it's not something I do on any sort of regular basis, when I went to DL for the last night of The MSEP's "November Encore" back in 1996, for the LM Passholder Premiere, and for at least one of the 5 runs of The MSEP I saw at WDW-MK in November of 2000, and again for at least one of the first three DCA runs of The Parade, I wore my October 17th T-shirt. I think there was perhaps one WDW CM who had even the vaguest idea of the significance of the shirt; she looked at me, her eyes got big, and she asked me where I got it. Not many at DCA who recognized it, either.

canadisfan
06-21-2003, 08:16 PM
We can only visit every couple of years or so. But everytime we visit we always pose for a picture just inside the gate below the train station and than another mandatory picture at the base of Walt and Mickey's statue.

TTFN

MsDisney
06-21-2003, 10:00 PM
We always:

-Ride Indiana Jones first.

-Visit Mickey in his house.

-Share a Mickey shaped pretzel.

-Ride the train all the way around the park.

-Ride Autopia with my following my husband so I can make sure no one bumps him (*yeah...right*)

corrinhorn
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Let's see,

First I clock in and then I walk to the ODV office.

Next I check in and check out a fund for whatever wagon I am doing (if I am relief, this doesn't count)

I go to my wagon.

Come back and count in, and get off late.

Traditions I'd like to start?

Getting off on Time!

:geek: Sorry, I couldn't help it:D